Windows 10: Unable to Start BFE/Firewall Access Denied

Discus and support Unable to Start BFE/Firewall Access Denied in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've spent an entire day on this and tried every fix I could find, but I am unable to start Base Filtering Engine and as a consequence, Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Trevor Dennis, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Unable to Start BFE/Firewall Access Denied

I've spent an entire day on this and tried every fix I could find, but I am unable to start Base Filtering Engine and as a consequence, Windows Firewall and getting 'Error 5: Access is Denied' message.

Both are set to Automatic in Services.

The Registry for BFE looks OK AFAICT. Windows 7 threads mention a Permissions entry for BFE that your should set to 'Everyone', but my win10 desktop with the issue, and another two systems one with Win10 and the other 8.1, don't have a Permissions entry for BFE.

When this issue first arose I was also unable to access the internet. I fixed that with three CMD lines that I am afraid I can't find the reference to now,

The system has been a wee bit sick for about three weeks, with Narrator randomly firing up plus a big bunch of Explorer windows.

When I run the MS Firewall troubleshooter I get: (sorry about the bad format)
    Windows Firewall Troubleshooter L: Publisher details
    Issues found L: Windows Firewall service is not started
    Windows Firewall service is not started
    Windows Firewall service is not running or is not started. Not fixed Unable to Start BFE/Firewall Access Denied [​IMG] Start Windows Firewall service Completed
    Potential issues that were checked L: Cannot Access Shared Files and Printers
    Cannot Access Shared Files and Printers
    You cannot access shared files and printers even though you have enabled File and Printer Sharing in Windows. Issue not present L: Remote Assistance is not working
    Remote Assistance is not working
    Remote Assistance is not working even though you have enabled Remote Assistance in Windows. Issue not present L: Windows could not start Windows Firewall
    Windows could not start Windows Firewall
    On a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you find that the Windows Firewall service is not running. When you try to manually start the service, you receive the following error message: "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall, DHCP client, or Diagnostic Policy on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5." Issue not present L: Windows could not start Windows Firewall BFE service
    Windows could not start Windows Firewall BFE service
    On a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, the Windows Firewall service is not running. When you try to manually start the service, you receive the following error message "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall, DHCP client, or Diagnostic Policy on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5." Issue not present Issues found L: Detection details
    6 Windows Firewall service is not started Not fixed Unable to Start BFE/Firewall Access Denied [​IMG] Windows Firewall service is not running or is not started. Start Windows Firewall service Completed Starting the Windows Firewall service resolves this problem.
    Potential issues that were checked L: Detection details
    Cannot Access Shared Files and Printers Issue not present You cannot access shared files and printers even though you have enabled File and Printer Sharing in Windows. Remote Assistance is not working Issue not present Remote Assistance is not working even though you have enabled Remote Assistance in Windows. Windows could not start Windows Firewall Issue not present On a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you find that the Windows Firewall service is not running. When you try to manually start the service, you receive the following error message: "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall, DHCP client, or Diagnostic Policy on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5." Windows could not start Windows Firewall BFE service Issue not present On a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, the Windows Firewall service is not running. When you try to manually start the service, you receive the following error message "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall, DHCP client, or Diagnostic Policy on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5." _______________________________________________

I'll be building a new system as soon as I can make my mind up about i9X and Threadripper, and handing this box to my wife, so it would be easy to do a clean OS install at that time. Meanwhile, if I can't fix the Firewall, I am wondering how much risk I am taking?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

:)

Trevor Dennis, Sep 9, 2017
  2. KWKeller Win User

received error message: Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings Error code 0x8007042c

Thanks for the reply, but basically I can't do anything the BFE When I try to change the Owner, it says Unable to set new owner on BFE. Access is denied. Something has that key locked.

KWKeller, Sep 9, 2017
  3. Windows version 1703 build 15063.296: firewall stopped

I have another .bat for you, then, & this one says outright it is for Win 10...

Base Filtering Engine - Windows 10 Service - batcmd.com

Base Filtering Engine - Windows 10 Service

Windows Firewall depends on the BFE to run. So, let's hope this puts an end to it! (I'm not sure how many more .bat's I can find.)

PCR Just PCR, Sep 9, 2017
  4. Unable to Start BFE/Firewall Access Denied

Store and Windows Updates will not work without Windows Firewall or BFE.
    In Fall Upgrade, you will even receive BSOD all the time, if it is not running.

BFE depends on network services, even-though it does not say so.

Try Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro

Select - Repairs Main - Preset Common Repairs: Repair Windows Firewall and set services to default.

TairikuOkami, Sep 9, 2017
  5. That fixed it! *Smile

I have tried so many things from so many web sites, including the MS troubleshooters and BFE and Windows Firewall repair apps, but none of them helped. When I ran the Tweaking.com app lines were scrolling too fast to read properly, but I saw a number of 'Access Denied' lines. Then it ran another bunch of lines, and after a restart, my system was pretty much sorted. I had a wee struggle with one of my printers, but the HP trouble shooters sorted that out.

So thanks for your help. A buddy told me this was the place to go for reliable and informed help, and he was not wrong. *Smile

Trevor Dennis, Sep 10, 2017
  6. I spoke too soon. After finding that Windows Firewall was now working, I then discovered that no Office 365 apps would open. But worse was to come... The next time I restarted the computer repeatedly boots to BSODs, and the repair options do not work. None of my data is on the C: drive, so I have placed Windows 10 install files on a USB drive, but am so far unable to get my Gigabyte X79-UD5 board to boot from the USB. I'll start a new thread as this issue was solved.

Trevor Dennis, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to Start BFE/Firewall Access Denied

1. Unable to Start BFE/Firewall Access Denied - Similar Threads - Unable Start BFE

2. My BFE/Windows Firewall Services unable to start Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My BFE/Windows Firewall Services unable to start Access Denied: So recently I have been fighting this assumed virus on my computer with no luck. I tried to repair the PC by granting administrative permissions to the service it worked partially but I couldnt turn my firewall back on even after doing that. I think My OS got corrupted as...
  3. My BFE/Windows Firewall Services unable to start Access Denied

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My BFE/Windows Firewall Services unable to start Access Denied: So recently I have been fighting this assumed virus on my computer with no luck. I tried to repair the PC by granting administrative permissions to the service it worked partially but I couldnt turn my firewall back on even after doing that. I think My OS got corrupted as...
  4. My BFE/Windows Firewall Services unable to start Access Denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Audio not starting due to access denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio not starting due to access denied: My audio won't start when i go to services and scroll down to Windows Audio and right click to press start, it says "0x80070005: Access is Denied" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-not-starting-due-to-access-denied/7be7ac99-94c5-4115-ae28-0fdaa92efb9a
  6. Audio not starting due to access denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio not starting due to access denied: My audio won't start when i go to services and scroll down to Windows Audio and right click to press start, it says "0x80070005: Access is Denied" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-not-starting-due-to-access-denied/7be7ac99-94c5-4115-ae28-0fdaa92efb9a
  7. process stuck on launch waiting on Defender Firewall / BFE svchost

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    process stuck on launch waiting on Defender Firewall / BFE svchost: For the past month or so I've intermittently had a process get stuck immediately upon launch. Task Mgr wait chain always shows the stuck process blocked on a call to one of the svchost processes. Once this happens, every new process launch from there on gets stuck. The only...
  8. 'Unable to save changes. Access is denied'...

'Unable to save changes. Access is denied'...: OK in a Windows protected folder I can at least see why Microsoft want to safeguard key files. But even with UAC off, I am getting so fed up with being told I don't have permission to do this that or the other, or that access has been denied when I try to access/edit files or...
  9. Unable to start Windows Firewall

Unable to start Windows Firewall: I first noticed the problem about two weeks ago. Every time I restart my laptop I receive a message that Windows Firewall is turned off. I'm given the option to turn it back with a "Click here" option. But that does nothing. I also noticed that the Windows antivirus icon that...
  10. After updating KB890830, the BFE is disabled, with it the firewall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After updating KB890830, the BFE is disabled, with it the firewall: Hi! After updating KB890830, the BFE is disabled, with it the firewall. The computer is unavailable from the network. Solved only by reinstalling the system. Have a solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kb890830/26b77c0c-6949-425e-affd-3b9d6f25c79f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 base filtering engine access denied

2. base filtering engine access denied

3. windows 10 unable to start windows defender firewall service access denied

4. unable to start bfe access denied,
  5. bfe will not start windows 7 access denied