Windows 10: Unable to start DVD in VLC with simple double-click

Discus and support Unable to start DVD in VLC with simple double-click in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, When I double-click the DVD drive (with a DVD in) it automatically opens PowerDVD15 which requires purchasing, now. I would like it to open in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Matt316, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Matt316 Win User

Unable to start DVD in VLC with simple double-click

Hi,

When I double-click the DVD drive (with a DVD in) it automatically opens PowerDVD15 which requires purchasing, now. I would like it to open in VLC, which I can do by right-clicking and clicking on 'Play with (etc.)'. I've tried to find a way to set the default to VLC, but so far have not had any success.

Any suggestions?

Matt

:)

Matt316, Mar 30, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

How do I open files with .bup, .ifo and .vob extensions? Where do I find the app(s) to do this? Thanks.

These files are files you find on a DVD

BUP files are backup files and not meant to be opened

VOB files are the actual video files

IFO files are the index files

Download the VLC player to open these files, it is free and fully featured:

Download official VLC media player for Windows - VideoLAN

That player will play the DVD

or

If you have the complete structure of the DVD on your hard drive or on a DVD, double clicking the VIDEO_TS.IFO should play the DVD

DaveM121, Mar 30, 2018
  3. Windows DVD crashing

Uninstall the windows dvd player app then install it again... if it doesn't help then I would suggest you to install VLC Media Player. It can play DVD Movies very well and its free to

dowload
    and install.

http://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.4/win32/vlc-2.2.4-win32.exe

Click on the link and download will start in a few seconds.

Dhruv Nath, Mar 30, 2018
  4. Matt316 Win User

Is there no way to change the default player for DVD's?

Matt

Matt316, Mar 30, 2018
  5. I see in my control panel Windows 10 viewing large icons to see all categories. Click on Default Programs, then click Change AutoPlay settings. Scroll down a bit and you will see DVD's. I can set mine to open VLC there. I don't actually have any DVD here to test this though. Hope it helps.

Access Denied, Mar 30, 2018
  6. Matt316 Win User
    Thanks AD, but mine is set to VLC, but is still playing PowerDVD15 by double-clicking.

edit:
    But I think that's for auto play, rather than the double-clicking (i.e. the default opening on right-click)

Matt316, Mar 30, 2018
  7. Winuser Win User
    Have you tried "Choose default apps by file type"? I also agree that if you don't want to purchase Power DVD to uninstall it.

Winuser, Mar 30, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Right-click on the DVD drive when it has a DVD in it, then choose 'Open AutoPlay...'

Unable to start DVD in VLC with simple double-click [​IMG]

Then pick VLC...

Then you won't even need to double-click on it to play it, just put it in the drive..

9. Matt316 Win User
    Winuser, "Choose default apps by file type" is not applicable (as far as I know) because it's not specifically a file type that's initiating, but the DVD. I'd rather not uninstall PowerDVD at this stage, and I think there ought to be a way of changing the default setting. (Besides, there's no guarantee that another unwanted program might take its place.)

Bree, tried this, but it only works for each instance, not permanently.

Matt

Matt316, Mar 30, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    AutoPlay is a permanent choice for me, should be for you too.

11. Winuser Win User
    What program is selected for .vob files?

Winuser, Mar 30, 2018
  12. Winuser Win User
    If you still can't get it to work start VLC and select Media - Open Disc...

Winuser, Mar 31, 2018
  13. Matt316 Win User

Bree: changing the autoplay (at lease with DVD) only works for a one off. If I change it to VLC then close it and double-click DVD it opens with PDVD again.

Winuser: .VOB is set to VLC. Getting a DVD to run on VLC is not the issue. It's getting VLC to be the default app for double-clicking on the DVD.

Matt

Matt316, Mar 31, 2018
  14. Edwin New Member
    Try setting a default optical drive in VLC Settings...

works here...

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to start DVD in VLC with simple double-click - Similar Threads - Unable start DVD

2. Double-clicking mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double-clicking mouse: For a couple months now I have been experiencing my mouse double-click, and recently it has been triple-clicking at essentially every other click. I'm sure you understand this makes using a computer extremely difficult in a lot of cases. I have looked and it does seem to be a...
  3. Double-clicking mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Double-clicking mouse: For a couple months now I have been experiencing my mouse double-click, and recently it has been triple-clicking at essentially every other click. I'm sure you understand this makes using a computer extremely difficult in a lot of cases. I have looked and it does seem to be a...
  4. Mouse double clicking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse double clicking: Hi.I have some problem with my mouse in windows 10.. It double click. For example drag and drop is annoying my mouse suddenly click the next object. I don't know it's my mouse problem or software. But I want to first try the software one. Thanks for further helps!...
  5. double click to rename

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    double click to rename: I used to be able to double click a file to rename it. After installing Windows 11, File explorer will not let me do that. Can I get this feature back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-to-rename/643a40ea-7871-4378-921d-4f07963a8677
  6. How to double click

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to double click: Hi,I want to know how to double click my mouse for games, I want it so I can click once and click twice. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-double-click/d47c0bbc-a677-4135-9f90-208b3ca310f6
  7. Double Click

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Double Click: Hello, can somebody tell me how can i get rid off a double click it always makes me an issue. Thanks whoever responds. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click/a7d1d883-46d8-4a60-a144-19b78ce96c19
  8. Double Click

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Double Click: Hello, can somebody tell me how can i get rid off a double click it always makes me an issue. Thanks whoever responds. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click/a7d1d883-46d8-4a60-a144-19b78ce96c19
  9. Unable to open folders when I double click.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open folders when I double click.: Except for photos, whenever I double click on a file in a folder, I get the rotating donut and the file never opens. This happens for Word, PPT, Excel at least. It's not the mouse since doube click on photos in the folders opens the photo up immediately. It also happens...
  10. Mouse started double clicking on single click file randomly.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mouse started double clicking on single click file randomly.: ***Modify title from: "Save As" does not obey my "double click" setting, but other file explore works properly with a double click to open a folder *** I have my File Explorer settings adjusted to use a double click to open a folder, and it always works properly EXCEPT when...