Windows 10: Unable to switch to Microsoft Account

Discus and support Unable to switch to Microsoft Account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello all, Im having an odd issue here. I noticed that under account settings, it told me that I needed to verify my identity for the Microsoft... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ArazelEternal, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Unable to switch to Microsoft Account

Hello all,

Im having an odd issue here.

I noticed that under account settings, it told me that I needed to verify my identity for the Microsoft Account I was using. Thinking "Okay, thats odd. I thought I did that already, but no big deal Ill do it again." I clicked on verify. A blank window came up and then closed again after a couple seconds. I clicked on Verify again a couple times, both with the same results. I temp disabled my anti-virus thinking maybe that had something to do with it, but it didnt help at all.

I did some searching, and found someone who was having a similar but not exactly the same issue. It was suggested to switch to a local account, then back to a Microsoft Account. It left me switch to the local, but now when I try to switch back to the MA, I get the same result as before. The window just flashes on screen quickly and that is all I get. Im at a loss here. The only thing I can think of is maybe doing a reset, but I want to avoid that is possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

ArazelEternal, Sep 16, 2015

2. unable to switch to Microsoft Account

Hi Diksha,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

When you get this error, first of all simply reboot. Another things you can try here to set up new user account and switch it to
    Microsoft account. But if you’re the one who don’t want to setup new user account and then switch to
    Microsoft account, you can try following steps. We suggest you create a
    System Restore
    point before proceeding.

Your Account Wasn’t Changed To This Microsoft Account

1. Press Windows Key + R combination, type put
    regedit in Run dialog box and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.

2. Press Ctrl+F and type your Microsoft account email ID, for example
    *** Email address is removed for privacy *** or *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Make sure you’ve checked options
    Key, Values, Data. Click
    Find.

3. The result will come around these two registry keys:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IdentityStore\Cache\GlobalStore\IdentityCache\S-1-11-96-3623454863-……..

I have shown one entry in below image. There would be only one key with this long name for which the email ID you have entered in
    Find box will matched, so not to be confused at all.

4. After finding both the above mentioned registry keys, export them at a convenient location and then
    Delete. Close the Registry Editor and reboot the machine to get fixed.

Your problem should be resolved.

Registry disclaimer

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For
    added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Please reply with the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Sep 16, 2015
  3. unable to switch to Microsoft Account

I am trying to switch from local Account to Microsoft Account, every time I click sign in with a Microsoft account instead it opens and shows something went wrong. My internet connection is working perfectly fine also troubleshooter do not detects any problem.
    Also my windows apps are not working along with the Microsoft edge. I changed my internet settings still I am getting the same problem.

P.S. My internet connection is not proxied or censored.

DikshaShrivastava, Sep 16, 2015
  4. Unable to switch to Microsoft Account

Wow. This must be an unusual issue. No replies yet.

ArazelEternal, Sep 17, 2015
  5. Really? Nobody? Hmmmm, I guess maybe I will just reset or refresh the OS and see what that does.

ArazelEternal, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to switch to Microsoft Account

1. Unable to switch to Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Unable switch Microsoft

2. switching microsoft accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    switching microsoft accounts: I want to give my old laptop to my brother. I just want to ask if it's ok to do clean install windows 10 and add his microsoft account instead? Or is there easier way?...
  3. unable to switch to a local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to switch to a local account: Hey ,Recently I have update to windows 10 professional and logged in as administrator with a Microsoft account which is connected to my Edu mail . Now i want to switch my Microsoft account without losing any of my data saved as that particular user . For the same purpose i...
  4. unable to switch to a local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to switch to a local account: Hey ,Recently I have update to windows 10 professional and logged in as administrator with a Microsoft account which is connected to my Edu mail . Now i want to switch my Microsoft account without losing any of my data saved as that particular user . For the same purpose i...
  5. unable to switch to a local account

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Microsoft Account Switch

Microsoft Account Switch: Hello everyone, I have a new client who uses Windows 10 at their office. We discovered a PC that was signed into an account which uses the email of a previous employee that no longer works at the office and had been signed in for quite some time. I'd like to replace the...
  7. Unable to Switch from Local to Microsoft Account

Unable to Switch from Local to Microsoft Account: I have a laptop that was setup with a local account. Now I am trying to switch to a Microsoft Account. However, when I click on the Sign-in with a Microsoft Account Instead button, the Microsoft Account screen pops up and closes without any opportunity to log-in. Same thing...
  8. Switching Microsoft Accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Switching Microsoft Accounts: My daughter got her new HP Stream today and I remembered not to attach it to the WiFi network prior to setting up her local account. All that went well... But then I went to switch it out of "S Mode", which meant signing into the Microsoft store. The only account I knew was...
  9. Unable to log in to Microsoft account on Minecraft for Nintendo Switch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to log in to Microsoft account on Minecraft for Nintendo Switch: [ATTACH][ATTACH]My account use to work until it automatically logged me out of it one day and when I tried to get back in I would always get the same information back each time. My phone says it connected successfully and two seconds later my switch says it has failed??? I...
  10. Signed in with a local account, unable to switch to Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Signed in with a local account, unable to switch to Microsoft account: I switched my account to a local account and that seemed to mess up my Outlook app. I clicked Fix account, nothing happens. I try to sign in with Microsoft account in settings, a screen comes up and disappears immediately....