Windows 10: Unable to Tab out of Fullscreen Games

Discus and support Unable to Tab out of Fullscreen Games in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello, When I had Windows 7 I was able to press the Windows key to tab out of Fullscreen Games and Applications. With Windows 10 I am unable to tab... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by CPflightlog, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Unable to Tab out of Fullscreen Games

Hello,

When I had Windows 7 I was able to press the Windows key to tab out of Fullscreen Games and Applications. With Windows 10 I am unable to tab out of Fullscreen Games and Applications. Is there a setting or something that I am missing? I have tried everything, Please Help.

Thanks,
    Peter

:)

CPflightlog, Aug 3, 2015
  2. Austin.L Win User

Issues with brightness and mouse

Original title: Alt+Tab ignores fullscreen?

I have been using windows 10 since I got this new computer and it has worked perfectly fine. Until the anniversary update recently. I play games in fullscreen and I usually alt+tab pretty often to look at other things in chrome and such. It was always a
    slow alt+tab on a black screen like it should be, but now it is an instant alt+tab like my game isn't fullscreen. This sounds great, sure, but it causes a lot of problems with things now.

My first problem is that some games I play have the brightness / gamma raised in game so I can see better. When I alt+tab the brightness carries over to my desktop which makes it very bright on my eyes. When I then alt+tab back in the game it removes the
    brightness setting completely in game which I then have to reset back to what it was. This happens every time I alt+tab, which is often.

My second issue is mouse delay. Fullscreen doesn't cause mouse delay (not sure the reason behind it, but it doesn't). But now, since it doesn't seem to think my game is in fullscreen anymore I have a lot of mouse delay as if I am in windowed borderless mode.
    I've tried changing my settings off and back on to fullscreen and such but it does not fix it.

Thanks ahead of time.

Edit: It is also not just one game, it is every game / every program.

Austin.L, Aug 3, 2015
  3. trooper74 Win User
    Black screen after exiting a game (Windows 10 Pro)

Another fix I found was to run games in Borderless fullscreen windows. Windows then treats the game as just another open window which you can tab in and out of as much as you like.

Hope this helps some of you.

trooper74, Aug 3, 2015
  4. MrNeeds Win User

Unable to Tab out of Fullscreen Games

The start menu has been made to be less intrusive compared to earlier versions of windows, you can press ALT+TAB to achieve the same thing.

MrNeeds, Aug 3, 2015
  5. ALT+TAB does not work for me

CPflightlog, Aug 3, 2015
  6. MrNeeds Win User
    Works for me, very strange, i'll ask a few others and see if anythings been changed recently.

MrNeeds, Aug 3, 2015
  7. stormy13 Win User
    Try Alt+Enter. won't. Won't minimize to the Task Bar, but will?should take it from full screen to windowed mode.

stormy13, Aug 4, 2015
  8. AveYo Win User

Having a "legacy" app like notepad running in the background helps with the switching.

Most of the times I use this:
    keep pressing Win key,
    then press D to Show desktop and force the game to minimize,
    (optionally) then press Tab to Show window previews,
    then press 1 2 3 4 etc. = taskbar position of the app I want to switch to (pinned icons counts, too)

Even easier, I move the game taskbar button to the far left, then use Win+1 to switch to/from

AveYo, Aug 6, 2015
  9. Hydranix Win User
    When this happens, my first instinct is to hit [Ctrl + Alt + Del] and open task manager.

That almost always tabs me out. Then I leave another Window open in the background and alt-tab works from then on.

Hydranix, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to Tab out of Fullscreen Games - Similar Threads - Unable Tab Fullscreen

2. tab-out fullscreen apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    tab-out fullscreen apps: Have noticed random alt+tabs since two weeks, Im not pressing buttonshappening on every fullscreen apps, rarely but its impact online gaming experience like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 19, Rainbow Six: Siege & Destiny 2I have multi monitor setup, all details about my setup is...
  3. tab-out fullscreen apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    tab-out fullscreen apps: Have noticed random alt+tabs since two weeks, Im not pressing buttonshappening on every fullscreen apps, rarely but its impact online gaming experience like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 19, Rainbow Six: Siege & Destiny 2I have multi monitor setup, all details about my setup is...
  4. When i tab in fullscreen game it tabs me out instanstly

in Windows 10 Customization
    When i tab in fullscreen game it tabs me out instanstly: When i start games that are in fullscreen mode it automatically tabs me out and when i want to tab back in it tabs me out again.I reseted my whole PC to factory settings and it doesnt fix my problem...
  5. Windows 10 Randomly tabbing out to the desktop while in fullscreen applications/games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Randomly tabbing out to the desktop while in fullscreen applications/games: So for about 3 days now i've had problems with my windows or well i don't know if it is my windows or not but anyway, Everytime i play games or use any fullscreen applications suddenly in random intervals it puts me back to my desktop sometimes not even my desktop sometimes...
  6. Windows is tabbing out of programs in fullscreen mode randomly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows is tabbing out of programs in fullscreen mode randomly: [IMG] Since Tuesday, I have an issue where Windows is tabbing out of programs that are running in fullscreen mode, randomly. It also really just happens with programs used in fullscreen, and so far never happened while doing things like browsing the web, for example. I...
  7. Locking out of fullscreen games

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Locking out of fullscreen games: Hi, Sometimes while playing games in fullscreen (like Rainbow Six Siege or League of Legends), after sending a chat message or after opening the chat window, I get locked out of the game. Meaning I can't interact with anything in the game, like menues, moving or really...
  8. Weird alt-tab out of fullscreen games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird alt-tab out of fullscreen games.: So recently i have been playing rainbow six siege a lot but my experience has been kind of ruined by this weird alt tab that keeps happening. It usually happens when i flick fast and click. I think my cursor somehow does something even tho its fullscreen and ive been testing...
  9. Tabbing In and Out of Fullscreen Games takes a Long Time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tabbing In and Out of Fullscreen Games takes a Long Time: Hi, So I have laptop with specs that should run most games perfectly fine: i7 8gb ram (2 4gb cards) nvidia 970m 1tb hdd 7200rpm But recently (may have began after a windows 10 update but i cant remember) my comp has been taking huge amounts of time to tab out...
  10. Tabbing back into fullscreen games takes forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tabbing back into fullscreen games takes forever: Hi, So I have laptop with specs that should run most games perfectly fine: i7 8gb ram (2 4gb cards) nvidia 970m 1tb hdd 7200rpm But recently (may have began after a windows 10 update but i cant remember) my comp has been taking huge amounts of time to tab out...