Windows 10: Unable to take ownership of a folder.

Discus and support Unable to take ownership of a folder. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi guys, I am unable to take ownership of a folder with my account which is the only administrator account in my PC. [img] This is the issue that... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by blackbirdabhi, May 18, 2016.

1. Unable to take ownership of a folder.

Hi guys, I am unable to take ownership of a folder with my account which is the only administrator account in my PC.

Unable to take ownership of a folder. [​IMG]

This is the issue that pops up. I took ownership with the above account as shown below.

I have even applied the changes to all subfolders...but to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

:)

blackbirdabhi, May 18, 2016

2. Can't get take ownership of a folder

Hello Jonathan,

Based on the information you have provided in your post; we need to do further investigation. To assist you better, we'd like to know the following:

• Did you make any significant hardware or software changes on your PC prior to this issue?
    • Which version of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, click the Start menu and go to
      Settings > System > About, then check the
      Version.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We'll wait to your response.

Marvin Barc, May 18, 2016
  3. Can't get take ownership of a folder

No hardware or software changes were made recently.

The version is Microsoft Windows 10 Pro v1709

The troubleshooting steps I have done are that I've tried to take ownership several different ways. I made sure the file settings weren't set to encrypted.

Would enabling the built in Admin allow me to take ownership of the folders?

Also I do believe the folders change name so when I enter the path I was given a few day ago by the external backup site, it says the folder doesn't exist. Is this something that happens in the with this folder path?

Jonathan Pierce (jpierce), May 18, 2016
  4. sml156 Win User

Unable to take ownership of a folder.

Try this Tutorial from TenForums

How to Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10

sml156, May 19, 2016
  5. It seems that I had actually protected the folder from modification via my anti-virus. Silly me! *Redface

blackbirdabhi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to take ownership of a folder.

1. Unable to take ownership of a folder. - Similar Threads - Unable ownership folder

2. Unable to Take Ownership of Folder/Files, No Security Tab

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Take Ownership of Folder/Files, No Security Tab: HiI have a recent issue with some files in one folder on an external hard drive.The files in question are PDFs that are resources downloaded as part on an online course. They were downloaded, opened in Adobe Reader, and then saved into an existing folder on the hard drive. I...
  3. Unable to Take Ownership of Folder/Files, No Security Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Take Ownership of Folder/Files, No Security Tab: HiI have a recent issue with some files in one folder on an external hard drive.The files in question are PDFs that are resources downloaded as part on an online course. They were downloaded, opened in Adobe Reader, and then saved into an existing folder on the hard drive. I...
  4. Unable to Take Ownership of Folder/Files, No Security Tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. cannot take ownership of folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot take ownership of folders: I get permission errors when I try to open some folders in Windows 10 desktop. I try to take ownership as described in How to take ownership of a Folder. I am the administrator. I'm the only user. When I do I get the following errors. an error occurred applying security...
  6. Taking ownership of windowsapps folder - failed to process?

in Windows 10 Support
    Taking ownership of windowsapps folder - failed to process?: So ive taken ownership without much of an issue on two of my pc's. my 3rd is fighting me tooth n nail. When i go to take ownership, it fails to process some stuff. I know when this happened on one of the other pc's, instead of the context menu item to take ownership, I had...
  7. Take ownership

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  8. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  9. Take Ownership folders and files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...
  10. Take Ownership folders and files

in Windows 10 Support
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to chance ownership of an folder in win 10