Windows 10: Unable to turn on wireless Wi-Fi with "function F8" after Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to turn on wireless Wi-Fi with "function F8" after Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just installed Windows 10 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop, model L755-5170. Prior to installation I performed a DoD type file shredder and NTFS format.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by joel63084, Dec 2, 2017.

1. joel63084 Win User

Unable to turn on wireless Wi-Fi with "function F8" after Windows 10

I just installed Windows 10 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop, model L755-5170. Prior to installation I performed a DoD type file shredder and NTFS format. The install worked perfectly. When I attempted to go on line to get updates and discovered that the "fn-F8" keyboard function to turn on Wi-Fi would not work. The function worked fine with Windows 7 installed.

All attempts to get Toshiba drivers for windows 10 has been in vane. The Windows install loaded Windows PS 2 drivers. Does anyone have any ideas on this problem? When I go online with this laptop (Gateway with Windows Vista) most sites want to offer driver for this box. I've looked at hundreds of Utube solutions but none address the problem of turning the Wi-Fi on.

Thanks for any help that might by out there.

:)

joel63084, Dec 2, 2017

2. Window 10 malfunction

After the disaster with windows 10, I was able to recover windows 8.1. However, I can not get the wi-fi to work. It says my "Ethernet adapter is disabled", "turn on wireless capability - failed". It will not do a wi-fi search function and the on-off slide
    button for wi-fi is grayed out and unresponsive. Same for Bluetooth. Trouble shooting it does not help. It just says "wireless capability is turned off - not fixed", but all efforts to turn it on do not function.

Kevin_POed, Dec 2, 2017
  3. Abi99 (2) Win User
    Windows 10 - Can't download language keyboards

Please, continue there…

On default, Wi-Fi enables itself after one hour. To disable this, please, go for All apps » Settings » Network & wireless » Wi-Fi » Turn Wi-Fi back on: Manually. Was that the cause of your issue?

Abi99 (2), Dec 2, 2017
  4. Callender Win User

That's pretty much why I avoided upgrading my Windows 7 notebook to Windows 10. Lack of manufacturer's drivers that supported hotkeys. You would need to find another way to turn on Wi-Fi.

I don't have a Toshiba machine but try looking here:

C:/Program Files/Toshiba/TBS

If you have that folder look for the TBSWireless.exe file and if present try clicking on it.

Callender, Dec 2, 2017
  5. joel63084 Win User
    Thanks for the info. I recovered the file and copied it to the W 10 program file, restarted the computer, ran diagnostics and still no joy. I'm going to recover the entire Toshiba file in the windows 7 program file and try inserting it into the windows 10 program file to see what happens. if I don't have any luck ill uninstall W 10 and recover window 7 and confirm that it still works on that O/S.

joel63084, Dec 3, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    I have a Toshiba L750 (System One in my specs below). On a Toshiba the F8 (and other function keys) have grey markings on them to show their function when pressed at the same time as the Fn key. This is a Toshiba-specific function and requires Toshiba's OEM utilities to be installed for it to work. It worked in Win7 for you because that was the OEM Win7 with all the Toshiba utilities included.

For an L755 you would appear to require a Toshiba utility called 'Function Keys' (for my L750 I needed the Toshiba Value Added Pack). You can download the software/drivers from Toshiba's support in the region your PC was built for, go to Drivers & Software Support | Toshiba for US models. Although neither of our Toshibas are officially supported for Windows 10, the Windows 8.1 downloads work just as well in this case. These utilities are model-specific, so make sure you download the right one.

Bree, Dec 3, 2017
  7. joel63084 Win User
    Thanks for the info folks. I haven't been able to find a download for the "TVAP" App from the Toshiba support site. I located it on my backup of the original windows 7 load. I had hoped to copy it from there but my copy attempt indicated it would take 33 days so I canceled that.
    I'm checking out a similar problem reported in Windows XP where a patch to the Registry solved the problem. I'll update the post later.

joel63084, Dec 3, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

It's important to get the download for your specific model. Different variants of the L755 use quite different hardware. You need to use the part number which for the L755 should be in the form of PSK1WC-*******. Downloads for various versions of the L755 can be found here...

...for some models like the PSK1WC-06S01S there is a TVAP...
    https://support.toshiba.com/support/...012598&osId=34

...for others like the PSK1WC-06M01S there's a 'Toshiba Functions Key' download which seems to serve the same purpose.
    https://support.toshiba.com/support/...012594&osId=38

None of the models have downloads for Windows 10, I use the Windows 8.1 version of TVAP on my L750.

The above site is for US models only. If yours is for a different market, try using your Part Number or Serial number to search your local Toshiba support site for downloads. Mine is a UK model, I go here for downloads:
    Support – Consumer PCs - Toshiba

Bree, Dec 3, 2017
  9. joel63084 Win User
    Hey everyone, Thank for your suggestions and links. Nothing so far has worked. I will mark the thread solved as I am 15+ hours into a Windows 7 restore with 14 hours remaining. (large HDD). I will reload windosw 10 after I make a copy of my registry and look at the setting for the wireless network card that worked. Again, thanks to all.

joel63084, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to turn on wireless Wi-Fi with "function F8" after Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable turn wireless

2. No option to turn Wi-Fi on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No option to turn Wi-Fi on: I don't have any issue with my connection until today when I turned off my wi-fi I tried to connect again but the option turns it on is now missing. O got to settings and follow the troubleshooter, but it won't work. Restarting PC does not help either....
  3. No option to turn Wi-Fi on

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No option to turn Wi-Fi on: I don't have any issue with my connection until today when I turned off my wi-fi I tried to connect again but the option turns it on is now missing. O got to settings and follow the troubleshooter, but it won't work. Restarting PC does not help either....
  4. wi-fi ot turning on

wi-fi ot turning on: hello, my wi-fi isn't going on. I tried to turn it on with the button, within the option but still not working. I tried to reinstall network adapters with no success. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-ot-turning-on/ef186c95-84d1-480d-9cae-0576adeccf9a
  5. wi fi wireless lan problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wi fi wireless lan problem: how to fix my wireless lan showing some wi fi dont exist https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wireless-lan-problem/e77b7e47-d7f9-425d-9d30-092915e6849f
  6. Wi-Fi and Wireless adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wi-Fi and Wireless adapter: Hi. Wireless network adapter has disappeared from my laptop, i can't find it in Device Manager, I have tried installing driver and 10 more solutions found on internet, but non of them works , my wireless network adapter is still gone and I can't even find anything when...
  7. WI-FI turn off

WI-FI turn off: HI how can Iturn on The WI-FI on my laptop HP Pavilion dv6929nr Notebook PC? iput the Network security ey ,but ican't connect to the wi fiItroubleshooting ,a red Xsay that i have not preferret wireless network, Idon't know how this is hapen,is work good with the etherne...
  8. WIndows 10 Wi-Fi not turning on

WIndows 10 Wi-Fi not turning on: So, i started up my laptop when i got home from school, and i noticed that my wi-fi was off. I thought, huh, that's weird... so i go to the wi-fi section of my system tray. i click on the box to turn wi-fi on, the clicking animation played, but then it got greyed out and i...
  9. Unable to connect to Wi-Fi

Unable to connect to Wi-Fi: Hey so my internet seems to flicker between working and having a mini x on the icon which means theres no internet connection. Many sites and videos say to go under change adaptor options and enable Wi-Fi but that icon doesn't even appear on it. Is there a way to bring it...
  10. Wi-Fi - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Wi-Fi - Turn On or Off in Windows 10: How to: Wi-Fi - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Wi-Fi Communication in Windows 10 Wi-Fi is a wireless local area network (WLAN) technology and standard that uses high-frequency radio waves to provide wireless high-speed Internet and network...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. f8 keys not working yo switch on wireles capability

2. F8 turning off wifi

3. unable to turn on wifi windows 10

4. wifi on/off F8,
  5. Unable to turn on the wifi on windows 10,
  6. windows 10 unable to turn on wifi