Windows 10: Unable to Type in Search the Web and Windows Bar

Discus and support Unable to Type in Search the Web and Windows Bar in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've just upgraded my laptop to Win10 (did my desktop several months ago). The laptop is unable to take input to the Search the web and Windows task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by robnelli, Nov 24, 2015.

1. robnelli Win User

Unable to Type in Search the Web and Windows Bar

I've just upgraded my laptop to Win10 (did my desktop several months ago). The laptop is unable to take input to the Search the web and Windows task bar. I've searched the web, but all I've found was references to killing and restarting Search from the task manager, but there is no Search running. Also any time I try to start Cortana, I can see it start in Task Manager, but it then disappears. So the short of it is can't start Cortana and there is no Search running to restart. How do I get this feature to work?

:)

robnelli, Nov 24, 2015

2. Unable to type in the search bar in windows 10

I can only type one character in the search box in windows 10 and the box closes.
    I have tried

• Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

• C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe

• SFC /SCANNOW

• Stopped and restarted cortana

• Checked windows search service to insure it was running

• I can past words into the search bar from note pad and it seems to work that way

• It seems to work ok under a different user profile.

• window version 1607 (OSBuild 14393.1066)

texashonda, Nov 24, 2015
  3. Unable to type in the search bar in windows 10

Hi,

We understand that you are having an issue using the search feature in Windows 10. There are several factors that we have to consider in troubleshooting this issue. In order for us to efficiently assist you, we just have few questions for you:

• Were there any changes made to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Were you able to install all pending updates in your computer?
    • Have you tried running the Start menu troubleshooter?
    • Have you tried creating a new local administrator account?

Regards.

Darian Tab, Nov 24, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Maybe this is relevant:
    Solved Re-installing Cortana - Windows 10 Forums
    and there are a good number of other such threads- worth doing a search.

You could try this:
    1. Open run command, type PowerShell and press enter to open it
    2. Right click on its icon on taskbar and select Run as administrator
    3. Paste the below script
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    4. Wait for the Powershell to complete the process, ignore any errors if displayed in the window.

Does your start menu work?
    How many icons do you see down the side of the Cortana box (if you can display it - Win key + S)?

Beyond that, as you upgraded, there is a possibility of something being incompatible. What happens if you do a clean boot?

Please clarify "unable to take input to the Search the web and Windows task bar."
    - I assume you mean the search box displayed on the taskbar. Please advise if not.

dalchina, Nov 25, 2015
  5. robnelli Win User
    Your suggestion unfortunately did not resolve the problem. I still cannot type anything in the "Search the web and Windows" box in the task bar. Additionally Cortana still will not run. When I hit the Windows Key and the S key, I can see Cortana start up from within the Task Manager but it immediately closes (exits).

robnelli, Nov 26, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, can you open the action centre and see if Location is on? If not, can you turn it on?

If not, could be a geolocation issue.
    Please see
    Cortana and Search not opening - Microsoft Community
    and read past the first few sections to where it talks about geolocation.

I had that problem in the early days.

dalchina, Nov 26, 2015
  7. robnelli Win User
    I checked that my geolocation service is running; and it is; per the link you provided. What is the "action center" where you say to check "location" ?

robnelli, Nov 26, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 27, 2015
  9. robnelli Win User
    I've gone to the action center and have turned location on and rebooted. Still unable to type anything in the search box of the task bar. The start menu works fine.

robnelli, Nov 28, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    Ok, let's cover the basics.

From an elevated command prompt
    sfc /scannow
    Wait for this to complete- 20-30 mins perhaps..

If SFC is unable to repair corrupted system files because the store (source) is corrupted, then you could run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to fix Windows component store corruption, then afterwards try running the SFC scan again.

(For reference & if you need more help see:
    sfconline - Microsoft Community)

Can you check your region and language settings and make sure you are in a region where Cortana is available?

(For reference & if you need more help see:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...0-fe44dcf08ecb

dalchina, Nov 28, 2015
  11. robnelli Win User
    I ran sfc and it reported that it found no integrity violations. I checked my region and language and it is United States and US English.

robnelli, Nov 28, 2015
  12. dalchina New Member
    Can you open Cortana (Win key+ S) and post a screen shot of just that please?

dalchina, Nov 28, 2015
  13. robnelli Win User

Any time I try to start Cortana with Windows key + S or from the Start Menu, I can see it start in Task Manager, but it then disappears. Nothing gets displayed.

robnelli, Nov 29, 2015
  14. robnelli Win User
    Starting Cortana with Windows + S key only begins the application as seen in the Task manager but it immediately dies and there is nothing displayed to be copied or to show.

robnelli, Dec 16, 2015
  15. dalchina New Member
    Are you using Avast? Reported as causing this problem.

dalchina, Dec 16, 2015
Thema:

1. Unable to Type in Search the Web and Windows Bar - Similar Threads - Unable Type Search

2. Unable to type in windows search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in windows search bar: Hi all, Recently, I realised I am unable to type in windows search bar and other applications sticky notes, outlook app sign in, windows store search bar after installing the latest windows update 2022-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5019157.I have...
  3. Unable to type in windows search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to type in windows search bar: Hi all, Recently, I realised I am unable to type in windows search bar and other applications sticky notes, outlook app sign in, windows store search bar after installing the latest windows update 2022-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5019157.I have...
  4. Unable to type in search bar with new mouse

in Cortana
    Unable to type in search bar with new mouse: Because our mouse was needing a few clicks to make it work we got a new one. The point and click on the new one works OK but unable to type in the search bar. Put the old mouse and widget back in and the search bar works. I notice that Cortana and Search are both suspended...
  5. Unable to type in search bar and notes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to type in search bar and notes: High guys ive recently encountered a lot of issues with my PC where im unable to type in search bars throughout all of windows, and applications such as notepad. I ran a windows app diagnostics tool which fixed an issue with the user access control UAC or something like that...
  6. Web search gone from windows search bar!

in Cortana
    Web search gone from windows search bar!: I loved web search and used it everyday and now it is somehow gone and I do not know why that is! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/web-search-gone-from-windows-search-bar/2f7e62a3-c9c3-4e40-9bd3-347f58f01e61
  7. Unable to type into Search Bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to type into Search Bar: Is anybody else experiencing issues of not being able to type into search bar. I tried restarting search as well as resetting it. submitted by /u/ashuraaz23 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f26d6q/unable_to_type_into_search_bar/
  8. Web search results not included in search bar

in Cortana
    Web search results not included in search bar: To whom it may concern, I updated from Windows 10 Home 1803 to 1903 yesterday June 19th 2019. Everything seemed fine after that until I discovered that the web searches are no longer included in my searches from the search bar. It only displays local content from my docs,...
  9. Randomly unable to type in search bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Randomly unable to type in search bar: I have read many posts on how to fix this problem, but it always happens again. Why has MS not fixed this and is there any way to resolve this annoying problem? I use remote desktop often and it also affects being able to log in using RDP. Any help would be greatly...
  10. Search the web and Windows bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Search the web and Windows bar: Hello, Windows 10 just did an update and now there is this little search bar in the corner, and I don't want there as it uses Internet Explorer and will never use it. How do I get rid, I've right clicked and unticked all the ticked things but it won't go away. Also was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to type in windows search bar

2. unable to type in search bar

3. Unable to Type in Search the Web and Windows Bar

4. unable to searh in web bar,
  5. unable to search from windows bar,
  6. unable to search web,
  7. unable to type in win10 search bar