Windows 10: Unable to unlink MS account back to local

Discus and support Unable to unlink MS account back to local in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi all, I've recently discovered that my MS account has linked itself to the local account I've been using. I have visited several threads and websites... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by airway38, Aug 16, 2016.

1. airway38 Win User

Unable to unlink MS account back to local

Hi all, I've recently discovered that my MS account has linked itself to the local account I've been using. I have visited several threads and websites to describe how to change it back to a local account, however, I seem to be missing the option under Settings\Your email and accounts. There is no option to revert back to a local account.

Using Windows 10 Home.

Any ideas how to go back to the way it was?

Thanks,
    James

:)

airway38, Aug 16, 2016

2. Windows activation after hardware change from Windows 7 to 10.

OK, managed to do it:

1) UNLINK your MS account

2) THEN go through the procedure

Follow up question, now that it's activated, can I revert back to a local account and still have the license active?

ZoidbergForPresident, Aug 16, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Pro Key and Microsoft Account link

My exact question is "can i unlink my ms account from my windows 10 key?", that is in order to avoid having to log in to my ms account to activate windows after reinstalling, i do know how to create a local account, but thanks anyway, if you have any
    info on the actual question i'll appreciate it.-

Gabriel Demarco, Aug 16, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 16, 2016
  5. airway38 Win User
    Thanks for the prompt reply. It's definitely a Microsoft account. Here is the photo showing the no option to change back to a local account.

Unable to unlink MS account back to local [​IMG]

airway38, Aug 18, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Did you clean install Windows, or is that a new computer which came with pre-installed Windows 10, or possibly did you upgrade from Windows 7?

This must be your case but needs to be eliminated as the cause: I have only seen option to switch to local account missing two or three times, all of them had the same background: User had upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 which was used the built-in administrator account being the only user account. Users had activated the built-in admin account, changed it's name and used it as their normal user account "to get full control".

Using built-in admin account as normal user account was fully possible in Windows 7 and although it's an extremely bad idea, many users did that. The problem is the upgrade to Windows 10; upgrade process accepts the user account used to start the upgrade as is, not questioning or notifying it being the built-in admin account. When upgrade is done this account will be the default account making using Windows difficult as no UWP apps will work.

When this account is then accidentally or on purpose switched to Microsoft Account it is impossible to switch back to local account. Notice that this issue as described above is only possible when upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 using built-in admin account, a clean installed Windows 10 does not allow built-in admin to be switched to Microsoft account.

To eliminate the above scenario, upgrade from 7 done with built-in admin account as the reason for your issue could you please post a screenshot of your Local Users and Groups control panel. To do this press WIN + R and type lusrmgr.msc in Run dialog, click OK. Double click Users on middle pane:

Now take a screenshot and post here, see example:

7. airway38 Win User
    Hi Kari, this install is from a fresh install purchased from a retail outlet. It has been fine since February as a local account, but has been ever since I signed in to a MS app.

Also, sorry, but my specs are a custom build desktop PC with Windows 10 Home installed on a SSD.

Screenshot attached - not sure what is meant to be seen on this machine...

airway38, Aug 18, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

OK, so we need to find another cause for this. I'll check something and post back.

In the mean time please read this post to prepare for the next time when you want to use Windows Store keeping a local account: How screwed am I? Locked out of account - Windows 10 Forums

I made a rookie mistake which should earn me the Darwin Award: I clicked My system specs link to check your specs, not noticing that I clicked the link in my own post not yours. Short: I checked my system specs thinking it was yours. I have HP Envy 17 1150 and Windows 10 PRO.

I removed the part based on this mistake from my previous post *Redface

Really unforgivable rookie mistake, my apologies. Anyway, the scenario I described is the only one I've seen until now to cause your issue, it was worth to check.

Again, see my mistake above; Home edition cannot use lusrmgr.msc.

9. Kari Win User
    OK, I cannot find any explanation for this.

Other geeks might have different opinions but in my opinion your best shot is to make a new user account.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to unlink MS account back to local - Similar Threads - Unable unlink account

2. HOW to Unlink MS account from administrator ???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOW to Unlink MS account from administrator ???: hello there,So basically, I opened settings on my PC and there in accounts I saw a "stop signing to all Microsoft apps automatically", from privacy pov i clicked on it but then i guess i was moved to local account automatically. As i noticed change becasue always under my...
  3. HOW to Unlink MS account from administrator ???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HOW to Unlink MS account from administrator ???: hello there,So basically, I opened settings on my PC and there in accounts I saw a "stop signing to all Microsoft apps automatically", from privacy pov i clicked on it but then i guess i was moved to local account automatically. As i noticed change becasue always under my...
  4. Unable to unlink my Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to unlink my Microsoft account: Note: This was copied from my post on r/WindowsHelp. I posted there, waited a day, and got no response, so I just assumed it got lost in the large number of posts.When I originally set up my account, I used a Microsoft account that I no longer want to use, so I have been...
  5. Unable to unlink my Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to unlink my Microsoft account: Note: This was copied from my post on r/WindowsHelp. I posted there, waited a day, and got no response, so I just assumed it got lost in the large number of posts.When I originally set up my account, I used a Microsoft account that I no longer want to use, so I have been...
  6. Unlink Microsoft Account from Local Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unlink Microsoft Account from Local Account: I have been using my computer without a linked Microsoft account on the main local account (this one has different settings compared to any other accounts I create) and I recently signed into a Microsoft app (specifically the Xbox app) to be able to use the game bar. This...
  7. Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...: So my little brother wanted to buy Minecraft for Windows 10. His computer was set up with a single local administrator account and remained local up to this point. The Store requires you to sign in to a Microsoft account to buy stuff, so I did that with his Microsoft account...
  8. local account unable to switch to MS account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  9. local account unable to switch to MS account

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  10. Unlinking a MS account NO SUITABLE SOLUTION?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unlinking a MS account NO SUITABLE SOLUTION?: After purchasing MS Office my wife's MS account has become annoyingly linked to mine. When I try to open skype from my login, skype opens with her name and profile under my Email address. Tech support informs me that they can do NOTHING to resolve the issue as MS has removed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unlink ms account from local account