Windows 10: unable to unlock drive locked with bitlocker, although i have password & recovery key

Discus and support unable to unlock drive locked with bitlocker, although i have password & recovery key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; hi, My laptop is switching off after 5mins of booting up. the service center said most probably the hard disk is crashing & it needs to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SUDIPSAMANTA, Jul 12, 2018.

1. unable to unlock drive locked with bitlocker, although i have password & recovery key

hi,

My laptop is switching off after 5mins of booting up. the service center said most probably the hard disk is crashing & it needs to be chamged, so i wanted to backup my data in another computer. but i have a drive bitlock encrypted. although i have the right password & recovery key, whenever I am connecting it to another computer externally and trying to copy data....it is showing incorrect password.... plz help in decrypting the drive in another computer with windows10.

:)

SUDIPSAMANTA, Jul 12, 2018

2. Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go

Hey All,

Recently my company provided me with a Windows 10 SOE image as part of a UAT. The image includes Symantec Endpoint Encryption which utilizes Bitlocker for encryption.

I went through all of the motions with the C:\ drive to be encrypted and even printed the recovery key. Well, at some point I plugged in a few My Passport USB drives and they became locked by Bitlocker To Go. Everytime I try to unlock or click on these drives it asks for the 48-bit key which I don't have because I never was prompted to encrypt/lock these drives.

unable to unlock drive locked with bitlocker, although i have password & recovery key [​IMG]

unable to unlock drive locked with bitlocker, although i have password & recovery key [​IMG]

IT says that there are no keys stored on the servers for these USB drives and suggested that this would be a "local" encryption. However, they also stated that they wouldn't be encrypted unless I was prompted about it. So, there's this mystery about how these USB drives came to be locked.

I've been doing some research and the closest I've come is getting some output about the protectors:
    Code: c:\Windows\System32>manage-bde -protectors g: -get BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011 Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Volume G: [Label Unknown] All Key Protectors Numerical Password: ID: {27319850-4EB5-42AC-9BA5-1C0CCB997EE7} External Key: ID: {A4A49BE5-70A4-4388-8B2F-8C13B1CA765C} External Key File Name: A4A49BE5-70A4-4388-8B2F-8C13B1CA765C.BEK[/quote] I've tried to copy the .bek file to another non-encrypted/locked USB but get:

Code: c:\Windows\System32>manage-bde -protectors -add g: -rp f:\key BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011 Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. ERROR Cannot specify multiple volumes c:\Windows\System32>manage-bde -protectors -add g: -rp f:\key\key.txt BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011 Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. ERROR: The operation cannot be performed because the volume is locked.[/quote] I've tried all of the passwords (even blank) I have in an attempt to unlock the drive:

Code: c:\Windows\System32>manage-bde -unlock g: -pw BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011 Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Enter the password to unlock this volume: ERROR: The password failed to unlock volume G:.[/quote] When I search my laptop by either the Numerical or External IDs, I get nothing even with hidden files enabled.

Can anybody provide any recommendations here? I can always provide any additional info. Should I also post in the MS forums?

There's so much data on these drives that I cannot loose.

Regards, Jimmy

coolguy9000, Jul 12, 2018
  3. No recovery key of BitLocker drive

Hi,

I had locked one of my drives using bitlocker.

Then i formatted my PC, so now i don't have password and recovery key to open my drive.

I do have key protectors Password id and numeric password.

Can you provide me recovery key from that??

or else how should i unlock my drive??

Thanks in advance,

Anuradha

AnuradhaSolapure, Jul 12, 2018
  4. unable to unlock drive locked with bitlocker, although i have password & recovery key

Unlocking Bitlocker encrypted system drive without recovery key

A few months ago I encrypted the whole hard drive on my Lenovo X1 Carbon 3rd Gen notebook. There are no partitions. I did not save the recovery key externally, if at all I saved it then it is on the encrypted drive itself.

Today my notebook crashed (whilst updating iTunes) and during restart I see the error message that Windows has a startup problem. It goes through the auto-repair procedure, which fails, and I'm taken to a screen which asks for my Bitlocker recovery key.
    I don't have that so I try the various advanced options like system repair, but none of the options that do not wipe my data seem to work because they need access to the encrypted drive.

1. Is there any way to unlock the drive, given that I know my Bitlocker password but not my Bitlocker recovery key? I am not able to actually get to any screen which asks for the password, every screen is asking for the recovery key.

I tried the command prompt option and entered 'manage-bde -unlock c: -password' which prompts for the password. I enter the password but get the response 'The password you entered failed to unlock the drive'. I'm sure it's the right password. Next I try
    to view the recovery key with 'manage-bde -protectors -get c: -type recoverykey' but the resulting data shows the key ID but not the actual numeric key value (it's just blank).

2. Can anything be done to unlock the drive via the command prompt, or any other route such as a boot disk?

3. Is it possible to generate the numeric recovery key elsewhere if the key ID and the password are known?

4. If I remove the hard drive from this laptop and attach it to another computer as a slave drive, is it possible to unlock it there using the Bitlocker password?

tintomatoes, Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

unable to unlock drive locked with bitlocker, although i have password & recovery key

1. unable to unlock drive locked with bitlocker, although i have password & recovery key - Similar Threads - unable unlock drive

2. How to unlock bitlock without using recovery key and password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to unlock bitlock without using recovery key and password: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-bitlock-without-using-recovery-key/80a1fa6f-92cc-4b31-934b-30ae6a8e6599
  3. How to unlock bitlock without using recovery key and password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to unlock bitlock without using recovery key and password: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-bitlock-without-using-recovery-key/80a1fa6f-92cc-4b31-934b-30ae6a8e6599
  4. Unable to unlock my locked drives need bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to unlock my locked drives need bitlocker recovery key: after seeing many questions about bitlocker . my driver are locked after installing New window on my New ssd I'm unable to unlock my hdd drives even i never activated bitlocker. and which MSA account logged in my laptop thre is no recovery key....
  5. Unable to unlock my locked drives need bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to unlock my locked drives need bitlocker recovery key: after seeing many questions about bitlocker . my driver are locked after installing New window on my New ssd I'm unable to unlock my hdd drives even i never activated bitlocker. and which MSA account logged in my laptop thre is no recovery key....
  6. With the right BitLocker recovery key, am unable to unlock my drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    With the right BitLocker recovery key, am unable to unlock my drive: Hello,Recently I have locked my drive with bit locker.Now when I try to unlock it it gives me key does not match yet i am using the right keySee below pocture:Recovery key——————BitLocker Drive Encryption recovery key To verify that this is the correct recovery key, compare...
  7. BitLocker Drive ID and/or Recovery Key won't unlock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BitLocker Drive ID and/or Recovery Key won't unlock: BitLocker Drive ID: 097E857E-80BC-44A8-A955-8E36958A6493. Have Recovery Key but won't recognize it. Replaced my Hard Drive with Windows 10 Pro recently, as old H/Drive corrupted. How can I retrieve an updated Recovery Key to unlock?...
  8. Lost password and recovery key for a pin drive locked with bitlocker encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost password and recovery key for a pin drive locked with bitlocker encryption: Dear community members, I have pin-drive USB flash protected by windows bitlocker. i didn't use the drive for sometime and forgot the password and lost the recovery key. Grateful if someone could please help me with resolving this issue. Thanks you so much in advance for...
  9. how to unlock hard drive bitlocker if lost all password and recovery keys?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to unlock hard drive bitlocker if lost all password and recovery keys?: Accidentally, I have lost password and recovery keys after reinstall windows, and i drive is got bitlocker. How can i unlock my drive? it is very important to me?...
  10. BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key: I encrypted an external hard drive a while ago and have since forgotten the password. I have the 48 digit recovery key saved to my computer as a notepad document. The problem I am having is that when I enter the 48 digit recovery key to unlock the drive nothing happens. No...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. The operation cannot be performed because the volume is locked

2. error: the operation cannot be performed because the volume is locked.

3. operation cannot be performed because volume is locked

4. birtlocker operation cannot be performed,
  5. bitlocker the operation cannot be performed because the volume is locked,
  6. password failed to unlock volume c,
  7. manage-bde status bitlocker version none,
  8. error cannot specify mutiple volumes 2020,
  9. bitlocker The operation cannot be performed because the volume is locked.,
  10. windows 10 crashed because drive C locked with bitlocker,
  11. manage-bde password failed to unlock volume,
  12. Bitlocker ERROR: The operation cannot be performed because the volume is locked win 10 pro ,
  13. i lost my locked drive recovery key using bitlocker