Windows 10: Unable to update from Windows 10 original build (build 10240)

Discus and support Unable to update from Windows 10 original build (build 10240) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi everyone, After not recieving the AU from Microsoft I took a look at winver I noticed that my PC has never received or installed an update since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by windowsupdate, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Unable to update from Windows 10 original build (build 10240)

Hi everyone,

After not recieving the AU from Microsoft I took a look at winver I noticed that my PC has never received or installed an update since the original Windows 10 build (Version 10.0 or build 10240).

I began to investigated and noticed that Cumulative Update KB3185611 keeps trying to install however Windows Update always fails to install this update giving me this error:

"There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:"
    No error code is provided.

I took a look at setuperr.log within the Windows.BT folder and this is the only error present.

Error SP CSetupPlatform::ResurrectNewSystem: Cannot resurrect new system.: Win32Exception: \\?\C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\NewSystem.dat: The system cannot find the file specified. [0x00000002] __thiscall UnBCL::FileStream::FileStream(const class UnBCL::String *,enum UnBCL::FileMode,enum UnBCL::FileAccess,enum UnBCL::FileShare,unsigned long)[gle=0x00000002]

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me out with this issue, as i'd like to move up to the AU Unable to update from Windows 10 original build (build 10240) :)

Please let me know if you need any more info.
    Thanks!

:)

windowsupdate, Sep 14, 2016

2. Unable to install from build 10240 to build 1511 on Windows 10.

I'm having this one too.

It's a laptop so there are no 'externals', it boots OK, I have Norton, it's up to date and I am EXTREMELY reluctant to remove it, there are no errors, I have run the 'fix issues' several times and each time it says 'I've fixed them' (but does not tell me
    what exactly it has fixed). It takes about an hour to download, then it takes about 5 minutes to get to 70% of the updates and then it slows. 80-81% 2mins, 85-86 5mins, 87-88% 7mins, 92-93 16mins, 96-97 >30mins and then at 99% it just gets stuck. From about
    50% onwards the disc activity is <1%, CPU at 10% (i.e. just about idle), memory <30%, no network activity. I have tried it with WiFi link and Ethernet (wired), same result.

The trouble is that since starting (about a week ago) I have now suddenly got other issues. My email accepts incoming but will not send. I've tried the 'fix it' but that says there are no issues. It's not the network as I can send/receive on my phone and
    on my Tablet. My links to my 'One drive' often get lost/broken to. It's just not a happy Laptop at the moment.

I need some help please.

Stephen

StephenMatthewsCY, Sep 14, 2016
  3. Unable to install from build 10240 to build 1511 on Windows 10.

Hi George,

Please reply to a few more questions to understand the issue better:

- Are you able to install other updates?

- Have you installed any third party antivirus security software?

- Do you get any error message?

The upgrade process might be interrupted due to the presence of third party antivirus security software installed or external devices connected to the computer

Method 1: Remove the external devices except for mouse and keyboard and boot your PC to check if the booting sequence is not interrupted.

If your PC should start without any issues, connect the disconnected external device one after the other and check which device is causing the conflict. Update the driver software of that particular device which caused the issue and check if the issue
    is resolved.

Method 2: Sometimes the upgrade may be interrupted by the antivirus security software installed on the PC.
    Uninstall the antivirus security software installed on the PC and then upgrade to Windows 10.

Disclaimer:
    Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon
    as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 3: Run Windows Update troubleshooter.

Here are a few things you can try if you’re having problems installing an update:

• Check to make sure your PC is connected to the Internet. Some updates can’t be installed if you’re using a metered Internet connection.
    • If you’re connected the Internet and updates aren’t installed automatically, wait a few minutes and then try installing the updates manually.
    • Use the
      Windows Update Troubleshooter
      to try and fix the problem.

Please get back to us with the results of the issue in regards with installing updates and any other questions you might have regarding Windows operating systems. We are happy to assist.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Sep 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Unable to update from Windows 10 original build (build 10240)

Hi, it's always worth just searching for the error message.

You can try this first:
    Windows Update - There were some problems installing updates (0x80240025) : Windows10

My version:
    Try booting to Safe Mode and renaming the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and C:\Windows\Catroot2 folders
    (Use search in C:\Windows\ to find Catroot2)

You could just append -old to the folder name.
    Note: You will lose your update history).

Then restart.

Anniversary upgrade:
    Note that it is widely reported a good number of users have experienced a number of problems when this has been applied. (E.g. search for 'windows anniversary problems').

Therefore before you do that upgrade, take additional precautions and start using disk imaging if you don't already. Everyone is strongly recommended to do so here- so many benefits. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage.

dalchina, Sep 14, 2016
  5. Hi dalchina,

Thank you for replying!

I followed the steps provided and the update did begin to download. It got to 90% and then said:

"There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:" again there was no error code present.

If I click retry it goes back to what it was like before removing the folders. Instantly fails at 0% downloaded.

I also tried running an sfc /scannow to see if any Windows Updates files were corrupted, the scan did repair some files however this also did not fix my issue.

One thing I forgot to include in my original post is that I am running Windows 10 Education.

I would appreciate any other suggestions you have!
    Thanks again.

6. dalchina New Member
    1. Update event log: Check this is applicable to 10240 (should be)
    Press Win key + R, type
    %windir%\Windowsupdate.log
    and if you get the text below, please do that.

Windows Update logs are now generated using ETW (Event Tracing for Windows).
    Please run the Get-WindowsUpdateLog PowerShell command to convert ETW traces into a readable WindowsUpdate.log.

For more information, please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=518345

2. Manually download the update.
    Windows 10 Update Archive

You may need to do this before applying the update.
    Try booting to Safe Mode and renaming the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and C:\Windows\Catroot2 folders

Then restart.

dalchina, Sep 14, 2016
  7. Hi dalchina,

I ran the powershell command and the log generated correctly. I can now safely assume that the error code associated with this issue is: 0x80004005

I have just downloaded the update that was causing me issues. I am going to stick away from the AU for a while until I can be sure that this is fully fixed.

Should I run the update manually now?

Thanks

8. dalchina New Member

Sure, try applying the update and see what it says or does.

If applying the update fails, you can:

Disconnect your internet

[You could simply delete the contents of the folders instead of renaming them - renaming is just a less drastic option]

and then try applying it

Reconnect internet

And you can research 0x80004005

dalchina, Sep 14, 2016
  9. Ok, will try applying it now.

I already researched 0x80004005 and tried most if not all recommended fixes for that error but nothing seems to of worked.

Thanks for your help.

10. Hi dalchina,

I have applied the update but winver still states that I am running on build 10240, however the Windows Update history states that:

Security Update for Windows (KB3185611) was successfully installed.

Windows Update no longer shows the broken update when checking for new updates. So, is it safe to assume that my system has been updated and winver is incorrect?

Thanks again!

11. dalchina New Member
    Good.
    Windows 10 Update Archive
    That update appears to be generic across builds. You haven't yet applied an upgrade.

I would suggest that if your system is now in a stable state, I would start to use disk imaging routinely to protect it (if you don't already). Everyone here strongly recommends it.

Once you have done that, you can proceed with other updates as they arrive. Note that especially for some older PCs, the anniversary upgrade is widely reported to cause various issues MS is working on. A major update has just come out (100s of Mb).

So before you get there, secure your PC and data by creating a set of disk images.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your disks and partitions to a previous working state, quickly and probably without technical help.

You can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

dalchina, Sep 15, 2016
  12. I usually do just use the built in backup system. However, I will take a look at Macrium Reflect now.

Thank you again for your help. It is very much appreciated!

windowsupdate, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to update from Windows 10 original build (build 10240) - Similar Threads - Unable update original

2. Update from build 10240 to build 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update from build 10240 to build 2004: I am currently using Windows 10 Pro, build 10240 and I want to upgrade to the latest build, 2004, using the Windows Update Assistant. But I want to know what is the size of the update before I continue. Is it going to just download the files for Windows 10 Pro build 2004 or...
  3. Build 10240

Build 10240: So basically im still on the build 10240 and tried updating my computer, i got the error code 0x80240fff and tried updating it with the update assistant that i could download, but that didnt work and was told to restart my pc and try again did that and it still didnt work.....
  4. win 10 build 10240

win 10 build 10240: O/S will not update NVIDIA display 23.21.13.8813, then claims featured update win 10 1803... even rebooted system. Thks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-build-10240/e698df56-9314-4ffa-aade-0063a8b4b44d
  5. Unable to upgrade Windows 10 from build 10240 to 10586

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to upgrade Windows 10 from build 10240 to 10586: Since the beginning of 2016 I have been unable to upgrade ending with constant requests to restart and the failure data as per attachment is the latest. I did defer this upgrade but recently it has been ignored and the upgrade has been installing and failing again on a...
  6. Remedy for Windows 10 not updating to build 10240

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Remedy for Windows 10 not updating to build 10240: For all of you that are frustrated with Win 10 not updating, go to: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...dows-10-a.html Settings---->System---->Apps&Features---->Manage Optional features and then add "insider hub". Well this is how I fixed mine and received 10240...
  7. Windows 10 Build 10240 not coming through on Build 9926?

Windows 10 Build 10240 not coming through on Build 9926?: I am currently running Windows 10 Build 9926 due to having issues installing Build 10162 using a USB. I had Build 9926 installed before and successfully updated to 10162 however a failed graphics driver install forced me to reinstall and since Microsoft pulled build updates a...
  8. No update to 10240 on build 10162

No update to 10240 on build 10162: Hey guys, I've just installed Windows 10 build 10162 in my computer. I got the iso file from a torrenting site because Microsoft removed all the isos from the technical preview page, and I was late. I installed the iso in my pc, and then I checked for updates. No Windows...
  9. Not seeing build 10240 from build 10166

Not seeing build 10240 from build 10166: I am currently running Windows 10 Build 10166 (Canada/French version x64 - Core). It was an upgradfe from build 10162. I have tried to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, rebooted many times, went from Fast to Slow (and then Slow to Fast) ring. Still no updates at...
  10. Problems with Build 10240

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Build 10240: So far, I have no sound and Cortana is not working when I speak to her. Any solutions and fixed? 8367