Windows 10: Unable to upgrade from 1703 to 1709 Windows 10 Pro/Business

Discus and support Unable to upgrade from 1703 to 1709 Windows 10 Pro/Business in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've two Dell Optiplex 3050 desktop machines that absolutely refuse to upgrade and it has reached the point where I'm out of things to try (and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fleeting, May 13, 2018.

1. Fleeting Win User

Unable to upgrade from 1703 to 1709 Windows 10 Pro/Business

Hi,

I've two Dell Optiplex 3050 desktop machines that absolutely refuse to upgrade and it has reached the point where I'm out of things to try (and have wasted many weeks troubleshooting already!)

Obviously this is a big issue with the HUGE download happening over, and over, and over again multiple times a day. This is a not-for-profit resource centre and these 2 computers are using up all of our bandwidth. I finally deferred the upgrade, but this is not a real solution.

Symptoms were the Windows Update constantly downloading and then stating "Failed to install on (date)" or "Requires a reboot to finish installing" (and then rebooting on the hapless user, only to not actually upgrade) - these Windows Updates are so dumbed down, they no longer provide any information as to what went wrong so you can fix it.

Computers are basically stock, but are heavily controlled with Group Policy due to being public machines. They have Office 2016 and Reboot Restore RX Pro (which is basically off) and are using Windows Defender. Only other software installed other than the regular out-of-the-box stuff is Chrome, Firefox and some printers.

Things I have tried:
    - Rebooting (obviously)
    - Deleting the catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folders
    - I have no wireless cards or bluetooth in the machine, but I checked Device Manager and found no obvious conflicts
    - Using the Windows Update troubleshooter
    - Doing sfc /scannow, chkdsk /f C:, and DISM.exe /RestoreHealth (command may have been typed in slightly differently)
    - Downloading the ISO and attempting to perform an in-place upgrade
    - Performing a clean boot and attempting to perform an in-place upgrade

Error messages are very scant, the only error information I actually ever received was when trying the ISO I got the error "We couldn't install Windows 10. We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10. 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I Googled this for a few hours and found some references to log files, but I really don't know where to go from here. The error messages found in those log files haven't really turned up anything useful.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem with 1709?

:)

Fleeting, May 13, 2018
  2. stewamax Win User

Fall Feature update 1709 fails and reverts to 1703

Thanks Dave

I currently have a list of the 50 or so Feature Updates from 1703 still on the Windows Update screen – some marked “Requires a restart to finish installing” and others marked “Failed to install on [date]”

When 1803 appears and is downloaded, what will happen to this 1709 list?
    Hopefully Win will not keep on trying to reinstall them again.

(I assume that 1803 can update 1703 directly and not with 1709 as a prerequisite...)

stewamax, May 16, 2018
  3. How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Version 1803 Spring Creators Update Using ISO File from Versions 1709, 1703, 1607, 1511 or 1507

Unable to update Windows 10 Pro 1703 to 1709... I'm completely desperate. Tried all methods, all scripts, all official Microsoft recommendations, all user (thx all of you) ideas... Also disconnected all my USB devices, uninstalled Malware Bytes, drivers,
    but the same: recovering to Windows previous version... Crazy...

I updated my motherboard BIOS firmware (ASUS x99-a/usb 3.1), but nothing changes... The same again, and again, and again... I feel jailed in an infinite loop. Windows 10 Pro notifies me that update 1709 is available to install, I reboot my computer, sometimes
    progress reaches 33%, sometimes 45%, sometimes 18%, but never a fixed pattern to investigate. It always returns to 1703. And so everyday...

Can someone help me? Can Microsoft hep me? I have a legal Windows 10 Pro copy correctly activated.

Please, help me...

Sorry for my english.

CrazyMikeUpdate, May 16, 2018
Thema:

Unable to upgrade from 1703 to 1709 Windows 10 Pro/Business

1. Unable to upgrade from 1703 to 1709 Windows 10 Pro/Business - Similar Threads - Unable upgrade 1703

2. Upgrading from Windows Home to 10 Pro with Business Premium

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading from Windows Home to 10 Pro with Business Premium: Hello,I can't figure out how to update our employee's computer from Window Home to the Windows 10 Pro that is included with our Business Premium subscription. I need to do this for about 15 of our remote employees. Thank you,Tara...
  3. Upgrading from Windows Home to 10 Pro with Business Premium

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Windows Home to 10 Pro with Business Premium: Hello,I can't figure out how to update our employee's computer from Window Home to the Windows 10 Pro that is included with our Business Premium subscription. I need to do this for about 15 of our remote employees. Thank you,Tara...
  4. Can't Update from 1703 to 1709 or Later

Can't Update from 1703 to 1709 or Later: Hi, I am completely stuck trying to update my pc from 1703 to anything later. It always gets to about 28% after the reboot and then rolls back to the previous version. I've tried just about everything I can find on the internet to try to get it to update. I've tried the...
  5. Possible to upgrade w10 Pro 1703 to 1709 instead of 1803?

Possible to upgrade w10 Pro 1703 to 1709 instead of 1803?: Hi there, I have multiple PCs running W10 Pro 1709 but one of my systems did not update to 1709 and is still running 1703. Now when I try to update I can only go from 1703 to 1803.... is it possible to manually install 1709 somehow without having to reinstall the OS or...
  6. Updating from 1703 to 1709

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updating from 1703 to 1709: I'm on 1703 with a 365 day deferral. I want to try a manual update to 1709 so I can experiment with getting comfortable with it before the 1703 October 9 eol, but the only resources I can find is for 1803. 111596
  7. Windows 1703 pro and Windows Update for Business

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 1703 pro and Windows Update for Business: I have a Windows 10 pro 1703 desktop and i found update options in Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Advanced options to select between Configure devices for Current Branch (CB) Current Branch for Business (CBB) Device is on CB:...
  8. BSOD Windows 10 build 1703 and 1709

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Windows 10 build 1703 and 1709: Hi there.. please forgive me if i mess up any posting instructions.. i'm new here, and i've made an account to get some help with some BSOD issues on my system.. i've created the files as instructed in the BSOD posting instructions and i have attached the zip for you. I'll...
  9. Error Upgrading from Windows 10 Version 1703 to 1709

Error Upgrading from Windows 10 Version 1703 to 1709: Early release is available on April 30, 2018. Sometime on or after April 30, create a bootable Windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10 On release that page will change from saying "Windows 10 Fall Creators Update now available" to "Windows 10 April 2018 Update now available"....
  10. Upgrade from 1703 to 1709 fails on a number of workstations. All Pro

Upgrade from 1703 to 1709 fails on a number of workstations. All Pro: I have 3 workstations that continually refuse to succeed in upgrading from 1703 to 1709. All of the other workstations (over 50 of them) have upgraded successfully. They are similar enough that it's doubtful there is something wrong in the approach being used (just let...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. upgrade windows 10 from 1703 to 1709 using dvd key error