Windows 10: Unable to upgrade to latest Win 10 build from existing 1607 build.

Discus and support Unable to upgrade to latest Win 10 build from existing 1607 build. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can anyone give me any clues as to why the update to the latest Windows 10 build fails. My PC goes through the update route, downloads to image,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mpeill, Jan 25, 2018.

1. mpeill Win User

Unable to upgrade to latest Win 10 build from existing 1607 build.

Can anyone give me any clues as to why the update to the latest Windows 10 build fails. My PC goes through the update route, downloads to image, prepares the image, installs the image to 100%, then fails and gives the message "Restoring your previous version of Windows". (no actual error code message numbers are shown anywhere).
    Once back to the original 1607 build, the process starts all over again, then back to the same result.
    I'm using a SSD for the op system, with 43Gb spare space.
    I've tried Ccleaner to get rid of unnecessary rubbish, but still the same result.

:)

mpeill, Jan 25, 2018

2. Offline map not displaying iran on Windows 10.

HI: After upgrading from 1586 to

Offline map of the country iran does not exist in Asia. In Windows 10 pc build 1607

Iran does not have the 1607 version of
    Offline Map

Ahmadshaparvari-1341, Jan 25, 2018
  3. S. M. Ali Win User
    The Latest Regular Build

Hello,

I have Lumia 535. I want to know if I am at the latest regular build of Win 10. My present build is 1607/14393.1480

Thanks a lot!

S. M. Ali, Jan 25, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, have you had Windows update disabled for some time or have you deferred upgrading?

Please post a screenshot of your Update History.
    To post a screenshot please use the icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.

Please see
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    pink and Here's How sections for some helpful basic ideas on preparing your PC.

Disconnect any unnecessary peripherals, esp. wireless.

Please perform the following routine maintenance tasks:
    From an elevated command prompt run
    chkdsk c: /scan

If ok, please run
    SFC /SCANNOW

Post the results of these. If these fail, do not attempt to upgrade, but do do the other things following.

Please post a screenshot of your partitions using Minitool Partition wizard (free) (not Disk Management). Expand columns as necessary so all text is shown.

Uninstall any programs modifying your GUI that might conflict.
    You could try upgrading having done a clean boot.

Before attempting to upgrade, I strongly recommend you create or update a disk image. We urge people to use disk imaging routinely as it gives people a 2nd chance where PCs are unbootable, uncorrectable- even if their disk fails or is infected with ransomware. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free). Things can go wrong.

I recommend you download a Win 10 iso and attempt a manual upgrade using that without downloading updates.
    This saves you repeat downloads if you need to reattempt, and s a bootable disk gives you a tool with some repair options.
    (Search for 'media creation tool' and/or see relevant tutorials in the Tutorial section on creating a bootable disk if you need to).

dalchina, Jan 25, 2018
  5. Berton Win User
    Press the Windows key and the R, type winver to see what you have. Using the MCT/Media Creation Tool got me Version 1709 Build 16299.15 a couple of weeks ago, that is 2 Upgrades over Version 1607. Version 1709 is now up to Build 16299.194 for 64-bit version of Win10.

One thing I have done in Settings, Update and Security is to click the Learn More link [right side further down] and check the list for the latest build for the installed version then download it for Offline installing.

Berton, Jan 25, 2018
  6. zbook New Member
    Run this log collector and post a zip into this thread for troubleshooting:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip

zbook, Jan 25, 2018
  7. mpeill Win User
    Not sure I'm attaching the requested files correctly....there should be the updates screenshots, partitions view, SFC and chkdsk, and log file dump.
    The updates window scrolls a long way, so I've just included the most recent, and the older at the point the 1703 build update fails, since then the 1703 has not retried.
    And no, I haven't ever switched off/deferred any updates knowingly.

mpeill, Jan 25, 2018
  8. zbook New Member

zbook, Jan 25, 2018
  9. mpeill Win User
    Hmm, don't understand, I can open the zip and read the text log files, all in plain English. I'm reattaching the log dump again here.

mpeill, Jan 25, 2018
  10. zbook New Member
    1) Open Ccleaner > click windows tab > scroll down to system and advanced > post an image into the thread using a one drive or drop box share link

2) In the left lower corner search type system > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings > under start up and recovery click settings > post an image into the thread using a one drive or drop box share link

3) In the left lower corner search type system > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings > under performance click settings > under virtual memory click change > post an image of the virtual memory tab into the thread using a one drive or drop box share link

4) In the left lower corner search type clean > open disk cleanup > scroll up and down > post images into the thread
    using one drive or drop box share links

5) The Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release.171231-1800)
    Please post into the thread any failed upgrade error messages or error codes

6) The free space on the C: drive is currently 32 GB. It;s easy to save files to the drive and lose track of the important minimum values.
    For Windows upgrades the current minimum is 16 GB. For creating and keeping BSOD dump files a minimum of 25 GB is need. The logs displayed that there was a recent BSOD. Please increase the free space to 40 GB.
    Code: Drive: C: Free Space: 33.6 GB Total Space: 113.4 GB File System: NTFS Model: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB Drive: D: Free Space: 112.4 GB Total Space: 614.4 GB File System: NTFS Model: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 Drive: F: Free Space: 85.1 GB Total Space: 237.1 GB File System: NTFS Model: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 Drive: H: Free Space: 155.5 GB Total Space: 953.8 GB File System: NTFS Model: Freecom Public-Disk USB Device Drive: L: Free Space: 102.3 GB Total Space: 102.4 GB File System: NTFS Model: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0[/quote] 7) Run HD Sentinel: (free or trial edition)Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring
    Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring
    7a) click disk > surface test > post image into the thread
    (this may take several hours to complete)
    7b) Post images of each of these tabs into the thread:
    Overview tab
    Temperature
    SMART
    Disk performance

8) Download and install: Everything
    voidtools
    Everything will index everything on all drives.
    It can be set to start on boot or when you want to use it.
    As you type a character there will be instantaneous search results.
    The more characters that you type the narrower the search results.
    Search for these folders and files and post any file that you find that is < 30 days old (one drive or drop box share links):
    PANTHER logs
    C:\Windows\Panther
    setuperr.log
    setupact.log
    Setupmem.dmp
    setupapi.dev.log
    BlueBox.log
    Event logs (*.evtx)
    C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupmem.dmp
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback*.evtx
    $Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\UnattendGC
    miglog.xml
    Windows\Logs\Mosetup

9) Download and install Whocrashed > in the left upper corner above analyze click on tools > crash dump test > type: ACCEPThttp://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
    10) Click analyze > look for dead or deaddead in the results > post the results into the thread
    11) Run this version of the log collector after the above steps:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip

Code: Event[5076]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs Date: 2018-01-19T10:30:34.041 Event ID: 140 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-21-1950091792-2801790622-1590281514-1008 User Name: PAULINESCOMP\pauli Computer: PaulinesComp Description: The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: H:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume7. (The I/O device reported an I/O error.)[/quote] Code: Event[8554]: Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 2018-01-25T21:17:19.910 Event ID: 46 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: PaulinesComp Description: Crash dump initialization failed![/quote] Code: Event[5757]: Log Name: System Source: cdrom Date: 2018-01-19T14:54:04.450 Event ID: 7 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: PaulinesComp Description: The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block. Event[5758]: Log Name: System Source: cdrom Date: 2018-01-19T14:54:11.261 Event ID: 7 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: PaulinesComp Description: The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.[/quote] Code: Event[5763]: Log Name: System Source: Application Popup Date: 2018-01-19T16:57:19.345 Event ID: 26 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: PaulinesComp Description: Application pop-up: Windows - Out of Virtual Memory : Your system is low on virtual memory. To ensure that Windows runs properly, increase the size of your virtual memory paging file. For more information, see Help.[/quote] Code: Event[5761]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Resource-Exhaustion-Detector Date: 2018-01-19T16:50:26.509 Event ID: 2004 Task: Resource Exhaustion Diagnosis Events Level: Warning Opcode: Contains the results of the diagnosis. Keyword: Events related to exhaustion of system commit limit (virtual memory). User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: PaulinesComp Description: Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: net.downloadhelper.coapp-win-64.exe (6364) consumed 4576444416 bytes, firefox.exe (12580) consumed 433070080 bytes, and firefox.exe (5804) consumed 366505984 bytes. Event[5762]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Resource-Exhaustion-Detector Date: 2018-01-19T16:55:26.518 Event ID: 2004 Task: Resource Exhaustion Diagnosis Events Level: Warning Opcode: Contains the results of the diagnosis. Keyword: Events related to exhaustion of system commit limit (virtual memory). User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: PaulinesComp Description: Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: net.downloadhelper.coapp-win-64.exe (6364) consumed 4849057792 bytes, firefox.exe (12580) consumed 413552640 bytes, and firefox.exe (9640) consumed 372600832 bytes.[/quote] Code: Event[4402]: Log Name: System Source: cdrom Date: 2018-01-17T10:45:19.012 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: PaulinesComp Description: An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.[/quote] Code: Event[3482]: Log Name: System Source: disk Date: 2018-01-17T08:51:19.149 Event ID: 153 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: PaulinesComp Description: The IO operation at logical block address 0x611ced88 for Disk 3 (PDO name: \Device\0000005c) was retried.[/quote]

zbook, Jan 25, 2018
  11. mpeill Win User
    Here attached is the other Log collector result you've asked for. I'm assuming the link you gave was to get the utility, and not the place to post the result, so it's just here in this thread. Let me know if you want me to post in the BSOD forum.

p.s. I'm not using a foreign language, only English.

mpeill, Jan 25, 2018
  12. mpeill Win User
    Here's the Dropbox link to the screenshots you've requested:
    Dropbox - Diags2.zip
    I've been able to get free space on C: up to 36.3Gb, but struggling to find what else to delete after that.
    I can run the HD Sentinel but it will take some time so I'm posting this reply in the mean time.
    (Thanks for your help, by the way, much appreciated)

mpeill, Jan 25, 2018
  13. zbook New Member

1) For paging > change to automatically manage paging file size for all drives
    2) For system failure > un-check automatically restart
    3) For Ccleaner > un-check memory dumps and Windows log files
    4) Make the above changes before the crash dump test

zbook, Jan 25, 2018
  14. mpeill Win User
    mpeill, Jan 25, 2018
  15. zbook New Member
    1) Update this driver: RapportCerberus64_1908101.sys (Uninstall and re-install the Rapport software)
    Code: RapportCerbe RapportCerberus_190810 RapportCerberus_190810 Kernel System Running OK TRUE FALSE 0 1,437,568 0 14/12/2017 17:09:34 \??\C:\ProgramData\Trusteer\Rapport\store\exts\R 3,328[/quote] Code: RapportCerberus64_1908101 RapportCerberus64_1908101.sys Thu Dec 14 11:09:34 2017 (5A32B04E)[/quote] Download Rapport | Trusteer
    Technical Support | Trusteer

2) Backup all files to another computer or to the cloud
    3) Make a backup image using Macrium:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    4) Place the backup image onto another driver or into the cloud
    5) Make a brand new restore point
    6) Read these links on Windows driver verifier:
    Driver Verifier-- tracking down a mis-behaving driver. - Microsoft Community
    Enable and Disable Driver Verifier in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    7) Please do not use windows driver verifier until it is communicated in the thread
    8) Uninstall Mcafee AV
    Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and Malware Removal | McAfee
    9)Uninstall Malwarebytes
    10) Turn on Windows defender
    11) Indicate if any other AV product was in use on the computer during the period of the failed upgrades
    12) Indicate if there is any drive encryption product in use other than Microsoft products.
    13) It will take time to go through the Panther logs and make changes.
    14) There were dump that had failed to produce BSOD mini dump files. It will take several days to fix any misbehaving drivers once windows driver verifier is started.
    15) For the upgrade all non-essential hardware will need to be removed during the upgrade. The only attached hardware should be a wired mouse, a wired keyboard, and a monitor.
    16) For the upgrade all drives will need to be disconnected so that there is only 1 drive connected to the computer.

zbook, Jan 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to upgrade to latest Win 10 build from existing 1607 build. - Similar Threads - Unable upgrade latest

2. Upgrading from earlier Win 10 builds to latest - Performance thoughts

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Upgrading from earlier Win 10 builds to latest - Performance thoughts: Hi there, in a small school we're using some laptops which are running Windows 10 Pro 1909, on machines sporting a CPU with Passmark index of 2000, 8GB and SSD. So far, performance is fair. In your opinion, would it make sense to upgrade machines to later builds, or will this...
  3. Upgrading from earlier Win 10 builds to latest - Performance thoughts

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading from earlier Win 10 builds to latest - Performance thoughts: Hi there, in a small school we're using some laptops which are running Windows 10 Pro 1909, on machines sporting a CPU with Passmark index of 2000, 8GB and SSD. So far, performance is fair. In your opinion, would it make sense to upgrade machines to later builds, or will this...
  4. Xbox Controller and Win 10 latest build ..

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Xbox Controller and Win 10 latest build ..: can someone help me out of this situation .. after latest update my controller cannot attached with my laptop .. in drivers it shown unknown device I pickup the xbox drivers but yellow icon changed to ? icon drivers not supported .. same controller on my second laptop with...
  5. Windows 10 Build 1607

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Build 1607: Are there any updates to build 1607 which adds the color filters to ease of access https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-build-1607/93d81611-5803-4b18-b171-4d0537597536
  6. Unable to update the Windows 10 to the latest Build.

Unable to update the Windows 10 to the latest Build.: Here is the screenshot, where it doesn't moves from here even after the restart it shows the same message. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-update-the-windows-10-to-the-latest/872ac206-d457-4255-bb5d-90b7d4dc7021
  7. Win 10 latest build won't hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 latest build won't hibernate: Hello again! I reinstalled an older version of win 10 and then upgraded it to the latest version. I did not check to see if the older version I installed in the first place could hibernate, but after upgrading to latest version, my win 10 won't hibernate. I looked for...
  8. Unable to upgrade from 1607

Unable to upgrade from 1607: Hi When I run Windows Update, Update tells, that my PC is updated, even if it runs 1607. (reason: I have not used my PC for quite som time, but now I want to use it again) I have run all processes on...
  9. Win 10 Build Upgrade

Win 10 Build Upgrade: Hi, we have windows 10,1511 build version,I want to upgrade the build to version 1703 without formatting the system,, Tell me the possible solutions for this or tell me the exact windows patch to upgrade the same !...
  10. Build 1607 Not Installing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Build 1607 Not Installing: Hello, My little netbook is having trouble installing Build 1607. Currently I have Win10 Pro 32-bit, Build 10240. There was a recent update to that build, it installed fine, and now the only update that keeps coming up is Build 1607. Each time, it progresses to a certain...