Windows 10: Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please help

Discus and support Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please help in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an older PC with an Intel Dual Core E6600 CPU and have Windows 7 as well as Windows 8.1 in dual boot configuration installed. I cannot upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hgroth, Nov 15, 2015.

1. hgroth Win User

Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please help

I have an older PC with an Intel Dual Core E6600 CPU and have Windows 7 as well as Windows 8.1 in dual boot configuration installed. I cannot upgrade the Windows 8.1 install since it is installed on a virtual drive and when I try to upgrade the Windows 7 install, I get "processor not supported" error and my E6600 CPU supports NX or ED. I check the BIOS and the ED feature is enabled and since I have already Windows 8.1 installed, it should work. I also checked for the KB2952664 fix which is also installed. I tried the media creation tool and get the same error. What can I do to upgrade?

:)

hgroth, Nov 15, 2015

2. signing onto my Live account

Maria,

Thanks for getting back quickly for a solution to my problem. Everything is OK now. Your a life saver.

HtP

Humping to please, Nov 15, 2015
  3. signing onto my Live account

After updating my phone to 8.1, every time I try to download an app it shows my user name ****@live .com. It asks me to enter my Microsoft password, I do and it doesn't recognize it. Why does it ask for my Live account? I can't get apps!!! I haven't used
    my live account for a very long time. HELP and thanks

Humping to please, Nov 15, 2015
  4. Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please help

DeaconFrost, Nov 15, 2015
  5. hgroth Win User
    Thank you for your info. Of course I have a legal copy of Windows 7 as well as Windows 8.1. Do you suggest the upgrade issue is related to the dual boot setup? How can I resolve the Windows 7 upgrade problem without having to wipe and do a complete fresh installation? Is there another way I can try to upgrade? I tried the media creation tool with the same result.

hgroth, Nov 15, 2015
  6. I tested Developer Preview on an older HP xw4600 machine. It was running an Intel E5200 dual core CPU, 4 GB DDR2 RAM and a 1GB NVidia GeForce 9800GT.

I started in October 2014 and went through all fast ring releases until RTM with no hardware problems.

I don't think it's your CPU. I don't dual boot, but if not that it may be something else in the BIOS

Spidey1976, Nov 15, 2015
  7. hgroth Win User
    I checked the BIOS and the CPU function is turned on and since I have Windows 8.1 as a dual boot installed, I know the computer is compatible. I tried to upgrade the Windows 8.1 install and there it has no compatibility issues but it will not install it since it uses a virtual drive. Is there another way to upgrade if I download Windows 10 to a DVD, can I do an upgrade install with that? the media creation tool does the same after it finishes the download and checks the computer it stops because the CPU is not compatible.

hgroth, Nov 15, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

Try updating the chipset drivers in Windows 7 and then your CPU may be detected properly.

spapakons, Nov 15, 2015
  9. hgroth Win User
    The problem is, I got an Abit MB and they are out of business. How can I update the drivers?

hgroth, Nov 15, 2015
  10. Berton Win User
    Doing a Search of the Internet for the motherboard's name and model number plus drivers should bring up a number of choices. Only problem is that most want money to provide the drivers but then that may be the only choice and the cost would most likely be less than buying a newer motherboard or new computer. I've just finished the download and started the install of Win10 Home over Win7 Home 32-bit on an older Dell Dimension Desktop. I couldn't use the 64-bit version of Win10 as the BIOS doesn't support it even though there was no issue installing Win7 64-bit on it, missing one feature and a BIOS update from Dell didn't fix it.

Berton, Nov 15, 2015
  11. The Media Creation Tool will allow you to save an ISO to burn to DVD.

I had no luck searching for any support or driver pages for Abit *Sad (at least ones that sounded legit). Sorry.

Spidey1976, Nov 15, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    Use Aida64 to discover the models of your hardware devices. Then forget Abit, download directly from chip manufacturer (Intel, NVidia, AMD, Realtek, whatever). No need to register, the free version will give you the info you want. If there is no Windows 10 driver, try Windows 8 or 7 or Vista.

spapakons, Nov 15, 2015
  13. hgroth Win User

I am wondering why I was able to install Windows 8.1
    with no issues and I passed the compatibility check in
    Windows 8.1but can't upgrade to 10 because it's a dual
    boot on a virtual drive. Maybe I have to upgrade Win 7
    to 8.1 and then to 10

hgroth, Nov 15, 2015
  14. spapakons Win User
    Windows 7 need SP1 to update from Get Windows 10. Otherwise, you can download the ISO from here that doesn't have this requirement. The same with Windows 8, GWX needs 8.1, while the ISO can upgrade 8.0 straight to 10.

spapakons, Nov 15, 2015
  15. hgroth Win User
    I had no issues installing Windows 8.1 and the Windows 10 compatibility check
    shows no issues to install Win 10 but since it is a dual boot install with virtual
    drive, it won't let me upgrade from 8.1 for that reason.

hgroth, Nov 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please help - Similar Threads - Unable upgrade please

2. Unable to Login PLEASE HELP !

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to Login PLEASE HELP !: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/9NAAGRAAJ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ktn1qi/unable_to_login_please_help/
  3. PLEASE HELP Unable to sign in to Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    PLEASE HELP Unable to sign in to Windows 10: Recently ive made an update to my pc. It told me that it would sign me out of my pc. It says i need to put my microsoft password in. I did it and now the screen talks about windows hello pin. If i click next, it will says please retry and if i press “skip” it takes me back to...
  4. Upgrading and need help please.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Upgrading and need help please.: Hello everyone. I'm sorry for my bad English. I bought a PC about 4 years ago and I am now looking to upgrade my graphic card. I have a $300 budget and i'm looking to get a good bang for my buck and compatible with my current set up. My system Specs : CPS - Intel(R) Core(TM)...
  5. Audio Issue after upgrading to Windows 10. Please Help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio Issue after upgrading to Windows 10. Please Help.: Post-installation, I noticed that the bass in a lot of the music I hear seems to feel 'empty', like there's no presence. This is more noticeable the lower the 808 note. Even messing around with the Equalizer and increasing the lower frequencies creates overwhelming bass....
  6. Unable to recover windows 10 please help

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to recover windows 10 please help: I recently purchased my new computer which is the MSI Trident 3 running Windows 10. This was a used computer so when we went to perform a reset Windows 10 somehow got corrupted and now I’m stuck on the error Recovery, file Windows\system32\winload.efi missing or corrupted....
  7. Please Help! Lots of issues since upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Please Help! Lots of issues since upgrade to Windows 10: Hi All I am hoping that somebody might be able to help. I bought my laptop in June so practically a brand new pc, and it worked absolutely fine in Win 8.1. I upgraded it to Win 10 a couple of days ago and it has since got practically unusable! Here is a summary of the...
  8. Need Help With Windows Upgrade please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need Help With Windows Upgrade please: I have Windows 10 Pro build 240 installed (and activated) currently, but I want to update to (at minimum) the November Update, currently my start menu is 'broken' because after upgrading from Win 7 I had 512+ shortcuts I have a single (500GB) Hard disk which has been...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade, help please

Windows 10 upgrade, help please: Finally decided that i want to upgrade to windows 10, clicked the upgrade now button and the window just closed after about a second, tried this many times and nothing happened. Ran windows update, clicked the upgrade now button again and it just sticks on starting download.....
  10. Tried everything to upgrade to Windows 10 but in vain. Please help.

Tried everything to upgrade to Windows 10 but in vain. Please help.: Hello, I would like to know if i can cancel my reservation from the Get Windows 10 app so that i don't get the prompt every now and then and then upgrade from a bootable media later on? I've tried all possible solution out there to upgrade my windows 8.1 to 10 but...