Windows 10: Unable to use Remote Desktop after connecting to a network share

Discus and support Unable to use Remote Desktop after connecting to a network share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm using a Windows 8.1 machine to connect to a Windows 10 machine for the purpose of accessing shared media content. In addition to using HomeGroup, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NadJ, Dec 31, 2017.

1. NadJ Win User

Unable to use Remote Desktop after connecting to a network share

I'm using a Windows 8.1 machine to connect to a Windows 10 machine for the purpose of accessing shared media content. In addition to using HomeGroup, I have created a share on this computer.... you know, the the traditional (no BS, time tested) way that has worked for 3 decades...

From time to time I need to connect to the Windows 10 computer using RDC. However, every time I map a network drive to the share from my Win8.1 machine (i.e. net use z: \\Win10\share) using the same or different credentials (it doesn't matter), it breaks RDC's ability to connect to the same machine. The error message (below) is complaining about restricted types of logons - Which is BS. No where on this PC are types of logon restricted (I've checked the local GP and registry) and I can make the message go away by doing something to the Windows 8.1 machine (read on)...

Unable to use Remote Desktop after connecting to a network share [​IMG]

I can make it work again by deleting the Windows Enterprise credentials that are stored against the Windows 10 computer from my Windows 8.1 machine within Credentials Manager, so I do have a workaround. But my question is why? Why is Windows Credentials Manager getting in the way of this sort of thing? Is this normal behavior?

:)

2. VPN PPTP failing after Windows 10 upgrade

In Windows 7 and 8.1, I connected to work using a PPTP VPN connection. After the VPN connection was established, I could use a remote desktop connection to access the servers on the network.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10. After upgrading, it says the VPN connection is successful. In Network Connections, if I view the status of the connection, it shows that bytes have been sent and received. However, if I ping a server on the network,
    the reply is as if I am not connected to the network. The result is that the remote desktop connection is unable to connect to the server. What steps should I take to get the connection to work like it did in prior visions of Windows?

david916823, Dec 31, 2017
  3. C-Los85 Win User
    Remote Desktop unable to Connect Windows 10

I have been using the remote desktop connection app on Windows 10 for the past 2 weeks with no problem. Today I am unable to connect to my remote device, but everyone in the office has not had a problem. I have not changed any settings. I receive this message,

"Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:

1 remote access to the server is not enabled

2the remote computer is turned off

3 the remote computer is not available on the network

Make sure the remote computer is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled."

Can anyone help?

C-Los85, Dec 31, 2017
  4. tchagas Win User

Already tried typing the IP of the device instead of mapping the drive on the network?

tchagas, Dec 31, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Have you tried in the Control Panel (It's still there in W10) setting W10 Computer to allow remote access and allow all versions of RDP to access it (you need that for some earlier versions of Windows to access the latest W10 Windows (with latest updates). I usually have all sorts of problems with Windows networking but Windows to Windows connections seem to work just fine --even XP to W10. You do need W10 PRO or above though to accept incoming connections and you might have to change something on Firewall and any security package you have running.

Personally I tend to find Windows defender OK and just the basic (default) settings on Windows firewall. I use the ROUTER's firewall for keeping out "Unwanted Guests" etc - for home computers of course security is important but too much is often worse than none at all !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to use Remote Desktop after connecting to a network share - Similar Threads - Unable Remote Desktop

2. Unable to use remote desktop over college IoT network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to use remote desktop over college IoT network: My school has a network named school name-IoT. Using my school email and password I am redirected to a personal dashboard with my email prefix as the username so *** Email address is removed for privacy *** would direct me to the dashboard for "johnsmith1". From this...
  3. Unable to use remote desktop over college IoT network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to use remote desktop over college IoT network: My school has a network named school name-IoT. Using my school email and password I am redirected to a personal dashboard with my email prefix as the username so *** Email address is removed for privacy *** would direct me to the dashboard for "johnsmith1". From this...
  4. Unable to connect remote desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect remote desktop: Unable to connect remote desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-remote-desktop/4ec89276-b78e-4f88-9193-51c33f2d1a4e
  5. Unable to connect remote desktop

Unable to connect remote desktop: Unable to connect remote desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-remote-desktop/4ec89276-b78e-4f88-9193-51c33f2d1a4e
  6. UNABLE TO CONNECT PRINTER WITH NETWORK SHARING AFTER UPDATE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UNABLE TO CONNECT PRINTER WITH NETWORK SHARING AFTER UPDATE: Hello Sir, I'm using Windows 10 from many years but during past 6 month I'm facing issue with my windows 10 that after updating windows 10 My all other PC's which are connected with my computer through LAN they count not connect to the Printer now, I have Printer named Canon...
  7. Unable to connect using Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect using Remote Desktop: We have one user in the office whose computer cannot be connected to via Remote Desktop Connection. All other users' workstations can be connected to without problem. RDC worked fine for this user until about 2 weeks ago, then he simply couldn't connect. Attempts to do so...
  8. Unable to connect using Remote Desktop

Unable to connect using Remote Desktop: We have one user in the office whose computer cannot be connected to via Remote Desktop Connection. All other users' workstations can be connected to without problem. RDC worked fine for this user until about 2 weeks ago, then he simply couldn't connect. Attempts to do so...
  9. Unable to connect using Remote Desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Unable to connect to Remote Computer using Remote Desktop after updating Windows Server 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to connect to Remote Computer using Remote Desktop after updating Windows Server 2016: After download of monthly update to server 2016 and restarting ,remote desktop cannot connect to rempte computer. Need help urgently ***Original title: After download of monthly update and restarting,remote desktop cannot connect to rempte computer***...