Windows 10: Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition

Discus and support Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just cloned my 250 GB SSD to a 500 GB SSD and installed the 500 GB SSD into my laptop. There is about 228 GB that is unallocated. I want to extend... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by UserTen, Feb 22, 2017.

1. UserTen Win User

Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition

I just cloned my 250 GB SSD to a 500 GB SSD and installed the 500 GB SSD into my laptop. There is about 228 GB that is unallocated. I want to extend the D partition to use all of this unallocated space (unless it's a good idea to leave some space unallocated)?

I've installed Minitool Partition Wizard Free. When I right click the D drive in Minitool and selected "Extend," only the C drive is available in the drop-down "Take Free Space From." The unallocated space is not available to select.

Suggestions?

TIA.

Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition [​IMG]

:)

UserTen, Feb 22, 2017
  2. Ivy336289 Win User

No disk space / memory for W10 update 1709

if your computer has extra unallocated space, you can try to extend c drive with the unallocated space.

in disk management, you are only allowed to use the right adjacent unallocated space to extend your c drive. so, if you want to extend
    c drive
    , you can use a professional partition manager like AOMEI Partition Assistant. in this software, you have various options, including Extend Partition Wizard, Move Partition and Resize Partition, Merge Partition. all of them can help you fix the
    low disk space warning.

Ivy336289, Feb 22, 2017
  3. Ivy336289 Win User
    Moving the Unallocated space next to the C:/ drive partition

In disk management, you are allowed to create partition, extend partition, shrink partition, etc. However, there is no way to move partition.

according to your description, I think you want to extend your C drive. However, the unallocated space is not at the right adjacent side of C drive. Thus, you cannot extend your C drive.

To extend your C drive, I recommend you free AOMEI Partition Assistant. It offers you a feature called

Move Partition
    . With it, you can move unallocated space to the right adjacent to C drive. Aside by that, it offers you an easier way: extend c drive to unallocated space via Merge Partition. With this way, you do not need to move unallocated space. What's
    more, you can merge C drive with any unallocated space on the disk.

Ivy336289, Feb 22, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Its very simple first you have to move the two paritions after d to the right so the free space is next to d then you can extend d no problem

Samuria, Feb 22, 2017
  5. UserTen Win User
    Thanks for the Welcome and for the reply.

Now for the stupid follow-up question; how do I move those two partitions?

UserTen, Feb 22, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Feb 22, 2017
  7. topgundcp Win User
    @UserTen
    From Minitool
    • Right click on the 25GB partition (last partition)->Move/Resize, a windows popup, click and hold then drag to the end.
    • Next, drag 4GB partition (next to last partition) to the end.
    • Next, move the mouse cursor to the end of D drive until you see 2 vertical bars, click and drag it to the end to extend it, click OK
    • On top left corner, click apply to commit the change.

topgundcp, Feb 22, 2017
  8. UserTen Win User

Thanks! I'd watched the tutorial but somehow missed the fact that the partition could be dragged.

For whatever reason, there was no option to move the 4GB partition. But it was indicating that it was 100% empty. I'm not really sure why it was there but I rolled the dice and deleted it. I was able to move the remaining 25GB partition all the way to the right. After selecting Extend for the D partition, the Unallocated space was now selectable from the drop-down.

Again, thanks for the clarification.

UserTen, Feb 22, 2017
  9. topgundcp Win User
    @UserTen
    FYI, the 4GB partition is not empty and was marked as "OEM" and Minitool did not recognize it. By deleting this partition, you broke the capability to restore Windows back to the original state.

topgundcp, Feb 22, 2017
  10. UserTen Win User
    I was unable to move it. The option was not there. Is there anyway to restore this partition?

UserTen, Feb 22, 2017
  11. topgundcp Win User
    Do you still have the original from 250GB ? if so:
    • On the 500GB SSD, shrink 4GB from D drive by right click on D->Move/Resize, drag to the left for 4GB, click OK
    • On 250GB, right click on the 4GB partition->Copy
    • select 4GB unallocated partition as destination to copy to.
    • click Apply.

Post back the result.

topgundcp, Feb 22, 2017
  12. UserTen Win User
    Yes, I still have the 250 GB SSD. I just connected it via USB.

In Minitool, when I right click the D drive and select Move/Resize, I cannot move it to the left. It is already fully left.

I still have about 30 GB that I left unallocated, to the right of D and to the left of the 25GB recovery partition. Can I used 4GB of that in this instance? If not, I'm not sure how to move 4GB of the D drive to the left.

Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition [​IMG]

UserTen, Feb 22, 2017
  13. topgundcp Win User

You should be able to. Did you move the mouse cursor to the end of D to get 2 vertical bars then drag it to the left to shrink ?

topgundcp, Feb 22, 2017
  14. UserTen Win User
    I edited the above with a screenshot.

Yes, when I hover over the left carrot, it changes to two vertical bars. But nothing happens when I drag left. When I hover over the orange section, it changes to a four-way arrow and I can slide the orange section to the right, but not to the left.

UserTen, Feb 22, 2017
  15. RolandJS Win User
    I'm using Windows 7 and Acronis Disk Director 12 -- when I wanted to add an adjacent un-allocated space to my Data partition, I had to make that un-allocated space a volume named ToBeMerged , format that ToBeMerged as NTFS/4096 to match my data partition NTFS/4096, then merged ToBeMerged volume into the "master" volume, my D volume. Would Windows 10 require a similar operation?

RolandJS, Feb 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition - Similar Threads - Unable Unallocated Space

2. Cannot extend c drive partition WITH free adjacent unallocated space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot extend c drive partition WITH free adjacent unallocated space: Whilst I am able to create a new partition, the option to extend the c drive partition is grayed out. I have not yet tried 3rd party tools. All feedback welcome...
  3. Can't extend C: drive partition while having unallocated space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't extend C: drive partition while having unallocated space: I'm not able to extend my C: drive even when I'm having 100 GB of unallocated space. Doing right click on C drive, extend partition option is grade out. Can anyone tell me how to proceed next ?...
  4. Can't extend C: drive partition while having unallocated space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't extend C: drive partition while having unallocated space: I'm not able to extend my C: drive even when I'm having 100 GB of unallocated space. Doing right click on C drive, extend partition option is grade out. Can anyone tell me how to proceed next ?...
  5. Can't extend C: drive partition while having unallocated space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Extend partition that is next to unallocated space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extend partition that is next to unallocated space: So I have a 250 GB D: drive 50 GB E: drive and I want to extend the E: drive. Problem is when I shrink the D: drive I cannot extend the E: drive since it comes after the unallocated space. The only way I see this possible is to make a partition F: copy all data from E: to F:...
  7. Cannot Extend Disk in to Unallocated space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Extend Disk in to Unallocated space: [ATTACH] I want to extend D: into the 74gigs of Unallocated space. If i **** the drive by making it Dynamic how do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-extend-disk-in-to-unallocated-space/54319428-4838-41cd-bda6-3600734680fb"
  8. Disk Partition Unallocated Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Partition Unallocated Space: [ATTACH]Hi team, I recently tried installing windows 7 and during installation, I got the message that Windows can't get installed on the selected disk due to MBR style. I converted the MBR style to GPT style by allocating 100Gb to selected Disk 0. Now after...
  9. Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space

Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space: Hello, I just assembled a new PC. It has a single 4TB hard drive. During Windows 10 installation, I created a 200gb partition to install to as the C: drive. It auto partitioned my drive into a 500MB system reserved partition, my C: drive, and two unallocated spaces of...
  10. Can't extend windows 10 partition into unallocated space

Can't extend windows 10 partition into unallocated space: Hi all, Until recently, I ran a dual boot system with Ubuntu - but for business reasons, I uninstalled it (along with it's bootloader). Anyway, I cleared up the hard drive space in the Disk Management app on windows 10, I have about 350GB free space from Ubuntu and I...