Windows 10: Unable to verify account on new laptop

Discus and support Unable to verify account on new laptop in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; A neighbour has lent me her brand new laptop because she wasn't able to log in. For some reason she didn't get the login info. I have formatted the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by swarfega, Jun 17, 2017.

1. swarfega Win User

Unable to verify account on new laptop

A neighbour has lent me her brand new laptop because she wasn't able to log in. For some reason she didn't get the login info.

I have formatted the machine (this had two advantages: 1. Sure way to get rid of any OEM junk, 2. could set up the account how we wanted).

Unfortunately I am unable to verify the account because its keeps wanting to use a secondary email address thats not listed on the MS account page (she no longer has access to it).

How can I verify the account?

:)

swarfega, Jun 17, 2017
  2. JanisK72 Win User

Responses to request for time under Family Safety not working

We have re-verified his account on his laptop. And I've checked his account on the other laptop and computer. Now, when we request time on any of the laptops, we're getting "Something went wrong. We were unable to send your request. Are you connected
    to the internet?". I have verified we are connected to the internet.

JanisK72, Jun 17, 2017
  3. Email Address Change Problems

Windows 10 user here.

I updated my email address / password on my Microsoft account and was able to sign in to my desktop using the newly updated email address / password, but now I can't sign into my laptop with my new info. I confirmed the laptop is still using the old email
    address by going to Control Panel / User Accounts. Clicking on the "Make changes to my account in PC settings" takes me to a screen which has a "You need to verify your identity" statement and a link to click to verify it, and even has my new email address
    in the field above where my new password would be entered, but it will not take my new password. I also signed out of my desktop and signed back in with the new password to make sure I had it right, but I'm still unable to sign into my laptop. Any ideas?

theJester63, Jun 17, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You have to log in to the Microsoft account on Microsoft's website, go to the security tab, and "Update your security info". There you can enter a secondary email address and/or text enabled phone number that she has access to:

https://account.microsoft.com/security

Unable to verify account on new laptop [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Jun 17, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    Thanks for the pointer, will try this out this evening when its not so hot!

swarfega, Jun 17, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    hmm looking at this now, MS don't make it easy to adjust things. I had to use my mobile number in order to get in to security and now I won't be able to change it until next MONTH!

Unable to verify account on new laptop [​IMG]

swarfega, Jun 17, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I don't think I have ever tried to change my phone number or secondary email address. My Hotmail email address is only used for Microsoft account login.

NavyLCDR, Jun 18, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

Its not the phone number I'm concerned about here. In order to send a verification email it wants to send it to an email she no longer has access to. So I'm a bit stuck as to what I can do next.

swarfega, Jun 18, 2017
  9. Hewjr100 Win User
    I use the ms authenticator on my iphone I was looking at my security info and realized that the phone number was my old one. When I went to change it it prompted me for my authentictor number. Even though my iphone had a new number I still got the code, thru the app. Is it possible to activate and use app, instead of phone number. If not don't push it, you could end up getting locked out. If you cannot do this, then as a last resort call microsoft.

Hewjr100, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to verify account on new laptop - Similar Threads - Unable verify account

2. Account unable to verify on device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account unable to verify on device: I've had this issue since I switched my accounts Gmail to a new one and deleted the old one. My device now ask for it to be signed in and be verified but when I put in the information. It tells me its unable to verify. What is the worst about this is I'm harassed by a...
  3. Account unable to verify on device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Account unable to verify on device: I've had this issue since I switched my accounts Gmail to a new one and deleted the old one. My device now ask for it to be signed in and be verified but when I put in the information. It tells me its unable to verify. What is the worst about this is I'm harassed by a...
  4. Micrsoft account is unable to be verified.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Micrsoft account is unable to be verified.: Whenever I go to Microsoft settings, and go to profile, it tells me to verify my account. so when I go to verify it, it gives me a pop up saying "Sorry, there's a problem with the server so we can't sign you in right now. We are working to fix it as soon as we can. Please try...
  5. Micrsoft account is unable to be verified.

Micrsoft account is unable to be verified.: Whenever I go to Microsoft settings, and go to profile, it tells me to verify my account. so when I go to verify it, it gives me a pop up saying "Sorry, there's a problem with the server so we can't sign you in right now. We are working to fix it as soon as we can. Please try...
  6. unable to verify account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to verify account: I'm trying to verify my account on my laptop but every time I click on "verify account" it opens another pop-up, tries loading but then it automatically closes. I think I might have deleted an app that is related to this problem....
  7. unable to verify account

unable to verify account: I'm trying to verify my account on my laptop but every time I click on "verify account" it opens another pop-up, tries loading but then it automatically closes. I think I might have deleted an app that is related to this problem....
  8. Unable to Verify Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to Verify Account: My son's screen time/family safety has just stopped recording all activity for reasons unknown. Looking at the help pages it says to check that his microsoft account is verified on his login. I have checked this but when I click on Verify and the tap opens asking for the...
  9. Unable to Verify Account through Account Recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to Verify Account through Account Recovery: Hi I am unable to verify my Microsoft account through account recovery form, the accounts are over 5+ years old and I haven't been using them for a long time, however I need to access them again however I am unable to successfully verify them. How can i gain access to these...
  10. Verifying identity on new laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Verifying identity on new laptop: I have bought a laptop and my wife started installing Windows on it. It came to the section to verify my identity for my microsoft account. it asked me how i would like to get my security code so i clicked Text to my phone ending in 47. unfortunately my phone was in work so i...