Windows 10: Unassociated file associations only running programs as administrator

Discus and support Unassociated file associations only running programs as administrator in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My issue revolves around encountering read/wright permissions with programs Java-based programs. I currently have installed jdk-8u65-windows-x64 on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Zone, May 25, 2016.

1. Zone Win User

Unassociated file associations only running programs as administrator

My issue revolves around encountering read/wright permissions with programs Java-based programs. I currently have installed jdk-8u65-windows-x64 on Windows 10 64-bit. Java is installed on C drive within program files. by Java-based programs reside outside the program folders on the C drive. Running the Java-based programs as administrator should solve the issue of read/wright permissions.

Only when I run as administrator the Java-based programs do I encounter the error depicted the below.
    Running the program with unelevated privileges everything works as expected except for the read/write errors. Elevating the program to administrator causes it to complain about not having the correct file associations performed the selected action.

Unassociated file associations only running programs as administrator [​IMG]

Progress thus far...
    • The file associations are set correctly. I've check within Windows settings and the registry.
    • Uninstalled and reinstalled Java
    • Disabled UAC *required a reboot

I'm at a loss to how to troubleshoot this as I've checked all the points of failure that I can think of so far.

:)

2. File associations

I mistakenly associated aae files to open with a specific program. I need to unassociated aae's, but Windows 10 doesn't have an option to clear the association only to change it to another app. How can I clear it?

Franklyone, May 25, 2016
  3. michaelFT Win User
    Opening files from File Explorer and File Association not working

Hi, I'm having some problems with opening some filetypes in File Explorer. There are a few different cases which has made it hard to narrow down exactly where my problem is, and my Google-fu is failing me.

If a filetype is not associated with any program, double clicking or "right click > open " either doesn't do anything, or comes up with a message telling me to associate a program with the file. If I go into "control panel > default programs > associate
    a file type... " and then find the filetype and click on "change program", no window pops up to let me select a program.

In addition to the unassociated files not working, with files with a known association, double clicking only works if their is only one program associated with the filetype. If there are multiple programs, it will not choose the default program but will
    do nothing, I must choose a program from the open with context menu manually to open them. Additionally, the "open with > choose another app" button does nothing.

If anyone has any suggestions to fix the whole thing or any individual part, thanks in advance.

Cheers, Michael.

michaelFT, May 25, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Have you tried using the 32bit version of Java? It is not always necessary to run the 64bit.

philc43, May 26, 2016
  5. Zone Win User
    Athough in the case of these two particular programs they can use 64-bit according to the author. Even then it still doesn't explain why I'm getting the file association discrepancy between an un-elevated and a elevated program.

6. philc43 Win User
    Have you tried putting the Java programs you are trying to run in one of your own user directories such as a folder in your documents directory? I have seen this solve some write permission errors.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unassociated file associations only running programs as administrator - Similar Threads - Unassociated file associations

2. File opens with the associated program on the desktop it is already running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File opens with the associated program on the desktop it is already running: Hi, I have the following very annoying problem, as described below.I am using Windows Desktops daily, especially in combination with Google Chrome, where the Chrome Windows open on a certain desktop, reopen after restart on the same desktop as well. Great feature!!! I wish...
  3. File opens with the associated program on the desktop it is already running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File opens with the associated program on the desktop it is already running: Hi, I have the following very annoying problem, as described below.I am using Windows Desktops daily, especially in combination with Google Chrome, where the Chrome Windows open on a certain desktop, reopen after restart on the same desktop as well. Great feature!!! I wish...
  4. Programs always run as administrator without checking "Run this program as an administrator"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Programs always run as administrator without checking "Run this program as an administrator": Hello as the title says random things have an administrator icon shield thing and when I open it, it says Do you want to allow this program, etc normal run as administrator stuff and when I go in properties then compatibility I don't have checked "Run this program as an...
  5. Streams program only runs when loged in as administrator

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Streams program only runs when loged in as administrator: Hello all, I have a user that has a application called Streams it's a VoIP app. It was working fine for months. For some reason it will not load under the standard user. If I log in as the admin it works when I login as a standard user I get this message [ATTACH]...
  6. Programs "Run as Administrator" ONLY will not run from the Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs "Run as Administrator" ONLY will not run from the Desktop: I've just noticed this - I have a few programs that should only be run as an Admin - they have the blue/yellow shield. I In the past I right clicked and ran these from the desktop as an administrator - no problem, Now all of a sudden I find that I can only run these programs...
  7. Locked out of Administrator, "file does not have a program associated"

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Locked out of Administrator, "file does not have a program associated": I was attempting to change the User administrator name so that it reflected a new windows explorer file path. When my SO set up the machine, she set the user name as "Mike & Steph". Well, this is now in the file path for all of our files and I work with software where no...
  8. certain programs now only work if run as administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    certain programs now only work if run as administrator: I have recently had problems getting certain programs to work properly (Alzip, Finale 2012 and others), and I've discovered that somewhere along the line, presumably after the last big Windows 10 upgrade, my permissions must have changed. The result of this is that I now have...
  9. File Association to Programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Association to Programs: Hello, Some programs on the pc were not installed with the installer - they are portable zip files, I unziped them into a folder, made a shortcut to the desktop and they work fine for me. They are not listed in the 'installed programs' list. I am trying to associate...
  10. Run as administrator -> This file does not have a program associated..

in Windows 10 Support
    Run as administrator -> This file does not have a program associated..: There seems to be a permanent "Run as administrator" entry in my right-click context menu. If I click on this for anything but an executable or shortcut to an executable, Windows 10 throws the below error, even if I do have a program associated with the file type. [img]...