Windows 10: "Unattend" Product Key error when doing fresh install

Discus and support "Unattend" Product Key error when doing fresh install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all. Was running Win 7 Home Basic; upgraded using to Win 10 but performance was poor. So, attempted to use the Settings tool to "Reset" without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by vakarianknight, Aug 6, 2015.

1. "Unattend" Product Key error when doing fresh install

Hi all.
    Was running Win 7 Home Basic; upgraded using to Win 10 but performance was poor.
    So, attempted to use the Settings tool to "Reset" without keeping my files. The reset got stuck at 66% (how ominous) and then informed me that the reset failed and the pc shut down. When I rebooted, no OS was found. The Reset deleted the partition with Recovery options as well.

I installed Win 7 from another OEM disk and then downloaded the Win 10 setup to a USB flash. (I have my original Win 7 product key).
    When I boot from the Flash, I get the following the error from Win 10 setup: "Windows cannot read the <Product Key> setting from the unattend file".

Is there a way to get it to prompt me for my product key? Is there any way to get past this error?
    Thanks in advance.

:)

vakarianknight, Aug 6, 2015

2. Reset/recover windows 10

Your machine is digitally registered with Microsoft, hence you do not need a product key. Just click "I have no product key" when commencing the re-installation. Things will fix themselves once the machine goes on-line.

Frederik Long, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Clean install an upgraded Windows 10 later with a new official build, later than build 10240

So would I be right in thinking that if I do a fresh install rather than an upgrade (getting the "something happened" error), will Windows 10 activate okay? Obviously I won't have a product key for Windows 10 and the key I have for my Windows 7 won't work.

Charlie Clayton, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Hydranix Win User

"Unattend" Product Key error when doing fresh install

Delete the file: Unattend.txt from the flash drive. (rename it to old_unattend.txt.old)

Hydranix, Aug 6, 2015
  5. Hi. Thanks for the assist.
    Tried this, but still getting the error.
    There's a file called UNATTEND.DLL in the Sources folder. Is this the same file that I must rename? Can't locate a text file with that name.

vakarianknight, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

"Unattend" Product Key error when doing fresh install

1. "Unattend" Product Key error when doing fresh install - Similar Threads - Unattend Product Key

2. Windows 11 with unattended will not encrypte drive on fresh Installation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 with unattended will not encrypte drive on fresh Installation.: We resently Started to install windows 11, on our company computers.Up to now we used a costume Image with autounattend.xml, and bitlocker run on first login without any issues. We created anew Windows 11 costume image, with thesame apps twixesand unattended.xml.Now the...
  3. Windows 11 with unattended will not encrypte drive on fresh Installation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 with unattended will not encrypte drive on fresh Installation.: We resently Started to install windows 11, on our company computers.Up to now we used a costume Image with autounattend.xml, and bitlocker run on first login without any issues. We created anew Windows 11 costume image, with thesame apps twixesand unattended.xml.Now the...
  4. Product key when resetting PC with fresh installation from USB drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product key when resetting PC with fresh installation from USB drive: Dear community, I have severe issues because of the chkdsk bug in KB4592438 and thus likely need to do a clean install from a USB stick as outlinedhere. However, I am unsure how the activation code will work. I bought the Lenovo Yoga C940 with preinstalled Windows 10 I...
  5. How to create Windows.old when doing unattended install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create Windows.old when doing unattended install?: I have an unattended USB setup perfectly, but as per the guides on win10guru it sets WillWipeDisk to true. I know in manual installs, if the partition has the correct format, it will tell me that a previous windows was detected and is being moved to windows.old. I would...
  6. Windows 10 Fresh Install - no product key

Windows 10 Fresh Install - no product key: I had a copy of Windows 10 and after recent update to 1903 my PC stopper working - BSOD was happening a lot to the point I could not use the PC. Now Windows has failed and I need to reinstall Windows 10. Previously I had Windows 7 and then did the free upgrade to Windows 10...
  7. How do i create an unattended file to skip only product key page

How do i create an unattended file to skip only product key page: As the title says i want to create an unattended file only just to skip the product key page that appears just before installation of windows begins... [img] i want the OOBE after installation to appear and let the user decide the settings and Username etc... How do i...
  8. Reuse the device product key in unattended install

Reuse the device product key in unattended install: I am trying to automate the reinstall of Windows 10 computer at work (if only to get rid of all the bloatware that is added by manufacturers). I have created an unautoattended.xml file following this tutorial:...
  9. Windows 10 Clean Install Error: "Windows cannot read <product key> from unattend answer file"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Clean Install Error: "Windows cannot read <product key> from unattend answer file": Hello, I've build a new PC and I ran in some trouble while installing windows. At first I created a bootable USB stick with an older windows iso that I had stored somewhere and rufus. I installed windows, no issues there, but I bumped into network driver issues. In ubuntu...
  10. Windows 10 Clean Install Error: "Windows cannot read <product key> from unattend answer file"

Windows 10 Clean Install Error: "Windows cannot read <product key> from unattend answer file": Hello, I've build a new PC and I ran in some trouble while installing windows. At first I created a bootable USB stick with an older windows iso that I had stored somewhere and rufus. I installed windows, no issues there, but I bumped into network driver issues. In ubuntu...