Windows 10: Unblock File in Windows 10

Discus and support Unblock File in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Many thanks for the reply Brink. I have tried this routine again on a folder that has over 3000 JPGs (sorry, looks like my previous guess at 1500 was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by hispanico, Aug 3, 2015.

1. shalebing Win User

Unblock File in Windows 10

Many thanks for the reply Brink. I have tried this routine again on a folder that has over 3000 JPGs (sorry, looks like my previous guess at 1500 was way off the mark!). The process starts OK but seems to finish too quickly and when I try to open a few random files, a few will open but most are still affected by the security pop-up. I have attached a screenshot of the security message. I can confirm that the files in question are all stored on an external USB drive.

The command I am typing in to PowerShell is:
    get-childitem "f:\bsspi_sys\blah" | unblock-file -confirm and I am responding to the confirmation with 'A' for
    all files.

Unblock File in Windows 10 [​IMG]

shalebing, Jun 8, 2016
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Since the source is from an external USB, you will always see that message by default.

If you like, you could use an option in the tutorial below to disable the "Open File - Security Warning" message for the file types you want.

Open File Security Warning - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Jun 8, 2016
  3. shalebing Win User
    Thanks. I have already created the new zone REG_DWORD option in the Associations registry to stop any future downloads being affected. That's a real bummer though that files I try to load from the USB drive will flag up the security message. That didn't happen when I was using Windows 7 - is this peculiar to Win 10? The strange thing is that some files on the USB drive will open fine with no message while others (well most to be honest) are affected.

shalebing, Jun 8, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're welcome.

Yeah, it is odd how some will and some will not open with it from the external drive. I believe that image files were not affected by this in Windows 7, but does appear to be now in Windows 10. It used to be mostly executable and document type files that mostly got this message.

Brink, Jun 8, 2016
  5. shalebing Win User
    It is annoying - I can fully understand the need for it with .exe files etc. but with .jpg files (which I use a lot) it is a major frustration.

shalebing, Jun 8, 2016
  6. spiritvorg, Jun 30, 2016
  7. Ethelwulf Win User
    This was very Helpful

great thanks

Ethelwulf, Aug 3, 2016
  8. shalebing Win User

Hi spiritvorg

I've only just discovered your message about the Powershell script and I have downloaded it. However, being a bit of a dummy in using Powershell, how do I run the script?

shalebing, Aug 3, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello shalebing, *Smile

You would right click on the .ps1 file, and click on "Run with PowerShell".

Brink, Aug 3, 2016
  10. shalebing Win User
    Cheers Brink - I thought perhaps it needed running from the prompt in Powershell (a bit like the old DOS days). Have used your instruction and the script works wonderfully well. Many thanks to spiritvorg and his OCD for creating it. *Smile

shalebing, Aug 3, 2016
  11. Ethelwulf Win User
    Yes I agree while I was going through each One I was wondering WHY isn't there a one click shot that is Weird I said to my self

Ethelwulf, Aug 3, 2016
  12. MPSAN Win User
    I have this but there is no line with the check box. Any idea what we can do?

Unblock File in Windows 10 [​IMG]

MPSAN, Apr 23, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello MPSAN, *Smile

Does any of the options unblock the file for you to stop seeing the dialog?

Brink, Apr 23, 2017
  14. MPSAN Win User
    I will check her system. I have not tried anything yet.

MPSAN, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unblock File in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unblock File

2. how i can unblock my usb device to send file from pc to it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how i can unblock my usb device to send file from pc to it: plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-can-unblock-my-usb-device-to-send-file-from/0818f0d1-b178-456b-b54b-5e4fdd6882d9
  3. how i can unblock my usb device to send file from pc to it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how i can unblock my usb device to send file from pc to it: plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-can-unblock-my-usb-device-to-send-file-from/0818f0d1-b178-456b-b54b-5e4fdd6882d9
  4. Unblocking file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unblocking file: Hello, I am trying to unblock a Microsoft Access file that my friend sent me. I have tried going to my downloaded file and accessing the properties and going to general to unblock the file, but the option to unblock it is not there. Any advice? I am on Windows 11....
  5. Unblocking file

Unblocking file: Hello, I am trying to unblock a Microsoft Access file that my friend sent me. I have tried going to my downloaded file and accessing the properties and going to general to unblock the file, but the option to unblock it is not there. Any advice? I am on Windows 11....
  6. Unblock a File in Windows - Did the behavior change recently?

Unblock a File in Windows - Did the behavior change recently?: In the past, if I have downloaded a zip file from a site not in my Trusted Sites, I would get the below and when extracted the contents will have the date modified set to whenever you downloaded the zip file if you don't set "Unblock". Currently, I'm on Windows 10 21H2...
  7. Unblock a File in Windows - Did the behavior change recently?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unblock a File in Windows - Did the behavior change recently?: In the past, if I have downloaded a zip file from a site not in my Trusted Sites, I would get the below and when extracted the contents will have the date modified set to whenever you downloaded the zip file if you don't set "Unblock". Currently, I'm on Windows 10 21H2...
  8. Unblock a File in Windows - Did the behavior change recently?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. "Unblock" multiple files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Unblock" multiple files?: I downloaded some sample software, but was held up, due to a certain type of file being "blocked" because of "Being in the internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file."My question is: Do I have to go through and unblock each of the 184 files,...
  10. How to add Unblock option for downloaded files in Context Menu of Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to add Unblock option for downloaded files in Context Menu of Windows 10: If you download a file from the internet, you might have to unblock it before you can perform specific tasks in Windows 10. It is possible to unblock a file from the item’s Properties. However, you can add the Unblock option for downloaded files and folders in the context...