Windows 10: Unchangeable Windows Defender options

Discus and support Unchangeable Windows Defender options in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I went to go install a trustworthy program today and Windows Defender was 'removing malware' AKA the files (they were not malicious) and now I am... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by st0rmy, Jun 26, 2016.

1. st0rmy Win User

Unchangeable Windows Defender options

I went to go install a trustworthy program today and Windows Defender was 'removing malware' AKA the files (they were not malicious) and now I am attempting to disable my protection or add an exclusion but all these options are greyed out. I am currently running Windows 10 version 1511 OS build 10.586.318 .

Unchangeable Windows Defender options [​IMG]

:)

st0rmy, Jun 26, 2016

2. Screen times out during Windows Defemder scan

Screen times out during Windows Defender full scan. When my screen times out, the scan stops. Therefore, after several hours, the progress is unchanged until I sign back on. Can I set Windows Defender to keep running in the background even after my screen
    times out?

Computing in Colorado, Jun 26, 2016
  3. Windows Defender will not turn on after installing Windows 10

NOTE; The steps provided work the same on all windows computers. They may have changed the look of 10 vs XP, But windows defender/windows updates/ msconfig/regedit/prefetech and other basic commands such as above,remain unchanged.

Marty Wyatt, Jun 26, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Sounds like a malicious file or some sort of incompatibility - what file were you trying to install? Can you scan it at virustotal.com to verify it is not malicious?
    Do you have a System Restore point you can use to go back to before the install was attempted?

simrick, Jun 26, 2016
  5. You need to be logged into an account with Administrator access to make those changes

garydexter, Jun 27, 2016
  6. Borg 386 Win User
    If Defender removed those files, then I would be wary of them. Granted, it could be a false positive, but in most cases there's a good reason the file was flagged for removal.

Did you have the same problem accessing the settings before the installation? If your firewall settings are having problems after trying to install this file, that should be a red flag. Malware operates by disabling protective services & the firewall is one of those it disables.

If you are logged in as admin & you are still having problems with the firewall, it would be a good idea to run a scan with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner & TDSSKiller to assure nothing got onto your system & is attempting to disable security programs.

Also, if you opt to do a system restore after a possible malware infection, do not use the 1st restore point, roll back to the 2nd or 3rd point. Some malware will embed itself into the 1st restore point, so rolling back to that leaves the malware intact on the system.

Borg 386, Jun 28, 2016
  7. st0rmy Win User
    Firstly, this software is from a reputable company, Lockheed Martin - Prepar3D , and it is know that it causes Windows Defender to 'detect' some sort of malware. I can assure you it is not. Secondly, I have run several virus scans including that listed above by simrick and with other software such as malwarebytes, adwcleaner, etc and I have found nothing. Finally, yes I do have admin access and I have it enabled on my account and no luck it still locks me out of these settings.

st0rmy, Jun 30, 2016
  8. Borg 386 Win User

You might want to run an SFC to see if something is corrupted in the Win files.

SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Note Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command up to 3 times with restarting the computer after each time to completely fix everything that it's able to.

Option Three: (recommended)

Something else you might want to try is to turn off Defender & then turn it back on. Or turn it off, reboot, then turn it back on & reboot. I've seen instances of that action restoring the functionality.

Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Borg 386, Jun 30, 2016
  9. Run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

reg delete "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /f

TairikuOkami, Jun 30, 2016
  10. st0rmy Win User
    Option Three: (recommended)

Something else you might want to try is to turn off Defender & then turn it back on. Or turn it off, reboot, then turn it back on & reboot. I've seen instances of that action restoring the functionality.

Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums Solved! A quick SFC scan and look at the logs revealed that some aspects of Windows Defender had been moved (my own doing when moving items off my SSD) then followed by a quick restart and I was able to change all my Windows defender settings. Thank you mate.

st0rmy, Jul 1, 2016
  11. Borg 386 Win User
    I'm glad you got it sorted *Biggrin

Borg 386, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unchangeable Windows Defender options - Similar Threads - Unchangeable Defender options

2. Screen brightness unchangeable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen brightness unchangeable: I cant change my display brightness whatever i do, tried it in settings. The only screen brightness only changes when i manually rebooted my laptop windows 11 home, then it cant be changed again. I have to reboot my laptop every time i want to change the screen brightness...
  3. Screen brightness unchangeable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen brightness unchangeable: I cant change my display brightness whatever i do, tried it in settings. The only screen brightness only changes when i manually rebooted my laptop windows 11 home, then it cant be changed again. I have to reboot my laptop every time i want to change the screen brightness...
  4. Laptop password unchangeable :/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop password unchangeable :/: so i try to change my password and i dont have the password change option. and when i try changing my PIN, it apparently needs windows hello but i need a work/school account for that.why is this so?...
  5. Laptop password unchangeable :/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop password unchangeable :/: so i try to change my password and i dont have the password change option. and when i try changing my PIN, it apparently needs windows hello but i need a work/school account for that.why is this so?...
  6. User name unchangeable in windows.

in Windows 10 Customization
    User name unchangeable in windows.: When I made my windows account it's username was forced to be my phone number and I cant find a way to change it. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-name-unchangeable-in-windows/1958c790-bb9c-4828-92c3-7037dba5f43b
  7. Windows Defender options

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender options: when windows defender identifies an app or process which is then blocked by controlled folder access, the only action option it offers is allow on this device. I have noticed that articles about windows defender offer actions such as MANUAL STEPS REQUIRED, REMOVE or...
  8. Windows Defender Options

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Options: Hi! I transferred files from my smartphone onto my laptop to format my smartphone. After couple of hours, my laptop slowed down. Processes like opening applications started to take a lot of time. I thought that their is a virus in my system, so I opened my Windows Defender....
  9. Screen time unchangable

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Screen time unchangable: My computer has screen time restrictions which I cannot remove. I am the admin on the computer and do not have any family, although this lack of family is where the issue came from. I had parents on the family but I removed myself from the family because the emails they were...
  10. File Name Unchangeable

in Windows 10 Support
    File Name Unchangeable: I have a file in my Firefox profile that needs to be renamed (or removed,) in order for other things to happen. Even after installing the W10 Forums Registry hack to take ownership, no matter what I do, I cannot get the file to be changed. I have tried changing ownership...