Windows 10: Uncommon cursor shape when swiping on touchpad

Discus and support Uncommon cursor shape when swiping on touchpad in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When swiping on touchpad with two fingers so that the page scrolls, the mouse cursor becomes a small dot rather than the normal arrow shape. It appears... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kevin_KK, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Kevin_KK Win User

Uncommon cursor shape when swiping on touchpad

When swiping on touchpad with two fingers so that the page scrolls, the mouse cursor becomes a small dot rather than the normal arrow shape. It appears as if I were using touch screen, where the small dot implies the location of my finger. But since I am not, the fact that mouse cursor does not stay still is really annoying. (BTW This is the main reason why I refuse to use any UWP applications). Is there any way I could get rid of this annoying feature, say, in Settings? Any suggestion is appreciated!

Video clips showing my problems (will be valid for at least a year, I suppose):

1. when using Microsoft News (a UWP app): https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9lsx0wv8g5v4k4/IMG_1530.MOV?dl=0

2. when using Feedback hub (a UWP app): https://www.dropbox.com/s/2eif37uxheekd8i/IMG_2142.MOV?dl=0

3. when using Edge (a UWP app): https://www.dropbox.com/s/mj13a2a9wel72vb/IMG_2144.MOV?dl=0

4. when using Chrome (not a UWP app): https://www.dropbox.com/s/9en92gpdu9mpljc/IMG_2141.MOV?dl=0

Only video 4 shows a mouse cursor that stays still.

The touchpad is ELAN Smart-Pad.

The problem remains since the very beginning of Windows 10 (till 1803 build now).

:)

Kevin_KK, Aug 23, 2018
  2. Kevin_KK Win User

How to prevent the mouse cursor from moving up/down when scrolling on touchpad

Before Windows 10, when I swipe up/down on touchpad, the mouse cursor stays at one location. However, it now becomes a little dot and also moves up and down while I'm swiping on touchpad. I don't like this feature for three reasons:

• It's not a universal behavior in that it only takes place in UWP applications but not in traditional Windows applications
    • When there are both UWP and traditional applications, and if the mouse cursor (the little dot) moves to the boundary of the two kinds of applications, it's shape becomes inconsistent and variant (I doubt there might be a bug or glitch)
    • It's often very hard to find the mouse cursor on screen once it becomes a little dot -- it disappears, and when one moves the mouse, it just jumps out from nowhere. It's kind of beyond expectations and annoying for one who only wishes to work on computers.
    So is there any settings that disable this features? I've found in the mouse and touchpad section with no luck. Thanks!

Kevin_KK, Aug 23, 2018
  3. cursor changed shape

Hi Jilly,

One of the possible reasons that this issue occurs is due to configuration in settings or outdated drivers. For us to isolate the issue, we’ll need the following details:

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    • Is this issue isolated in the Adobe application or all applications including desktop?

As an initial troubleshooting, we recommend that you reset the mouse cursor settings by following these steps:

• Click on the Start button then type
      Mouse & Touchpad settings in search box and then press Enter.
    • Then, click on Additional Mouse Option and click the
      Pointers tab.
    • After that, click Use Default and click on
      Apply, then click on OK

If issue persists, follow these steps to update or uninstall your driver:

• Click the Start button, type “device manager” in the search box and then select Device Manager.
    • In the list of hardware categories, double-click Mice and other pointing devices and then double-click the device name.
    • Click the Driver tab, click Update Driver or Uninstall, and then follow the instructions.

Note: If you uninstall your driver, just restart your computer for the device to be installed automatically.

Let us know the result after doing the troubleshooting steps.

Efraim Gar, Aug 23, 2018
  4. Uncommon cursor shape when swiping on touchpad

Cursor changes shape

The cursor changes shape from the normal arrow to one or more vertical lines with hatching. Restarting the computer fixes the problem, but only for an hour or two. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

StephenBabcock, Aug 23, 2018
Thema:

Uncommon cursor shape when swiping on touchpad

1. Uncommon cursor shape when swiping on touchpad - Similar Threads - Uncommon cursor shape

2. Touchpad cursor not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad cursor not working: My touchpad not working and cursor has disappeared. I’ve restarted it and updated the drivers but it’s still not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-cursor-not-working/0d9d851c-4d50-4814-b05f-2cece107e416
  3. Uncommon black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Uncommon black screen: My build is :CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 6x 3.60GHz MotherBoard : ASUS : PRIME B450M-A II, BIOS UEFI. RAM : 16 GB DDR4-RAM, 2x 8 GB, DUAL CHANNEL, 3000 MHz, Kingston HyperX FURY GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, Palit GeForce RTX 2060 Dual, 6 GB GDDR6, DVI, HDMI,...
  4. The cursor's shape is not like the preview from settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The cursor's shape is not like the preview from settings: My cursor changes shape whenever I change the "Cursor Color" in Ease of Access, here are some picturesSee the difference?The left is the preview and the right is my current cursor...
  5. The cursor's shape is not like the preview from settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The cursor's shape is not like the preview from settings: My cursor changes shape whenever I change the "Cursor Color" in Ease of Access, here are some picturesSee the difference?The left is the preview and the right is my current cursor...
  6. The cursor's shape is not like the preview from settings

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. CURSOR/ TOUCHPAD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CURSOR/ TOUCHPAD: I cannot locate my cursor and it seems my touch pad is not functional https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cursor-touchpad/efb358d4-68bd-4029-b035-dd31c097f31a
  8. Cursor Shape

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cursor Shape: Hey everybody, I was wondering if there is a way to change the shape of the cursor. I know that there is a way to change the color, but I got a little tired of the shape. Please write back if you have any ideas, they will be greatly accepted. ~Elanoides~...
  9. Cursor stuck on arrow and will not change shape

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cursor stuck on arrow and will not change shape: Running windows 10 and office 2016, this morning the mouse decided to be stuck on the arrow shape and will not change shape when you're in office (esp excel when you need the cross hair or line) or even hovering over the internet bar, is stays as an arrow - I've done driver...
  10. Somewhat uncommon BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Somewhat uncommon BSOD: Hi, I've had these BSODs since my updated build a while back and could never figure out the cause so I'll give this site a shot. The BSODs have tended to be about once or twice a month, though when I was testing set sticks, it's could be a little longer. Recently it's...