Windows 10: Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??)

Discus and support Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, TOPIC: I would value help in understanding what -and how - to clarify an anomoly in Windows 10 + Defender - where the advanced scan ran for 3... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ol' Codger, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??)

Hi,

TOPIC:
    I would value help in understanding what -and how - to clarify an anomoly in Windows 10 + Defender - where the advanced scan ran for 3 days and was searching roughly 34million files. However, I only have around 1.25million on the target USB drive!
    Please understand, it is not the amount of time it took is the issue. It is (a) the number of files reported, plus (later, after the scan) (b) Why does Defender show only a quick scan had taken place a few days before.
    I apologise for the length but I thought that pictures might help.

INFORMATION:
    I have run an advanced scan of one of my external usb drives in defender now twice, and received roughly the same results.
    I seem to get an impossibly high number of files being searched (34million).
    Before the advanced scan I did a chkdsk u: /f and chkdsk c: /f.

So, here are some screen dumps firstly showing progress over a couple of days:
    The scan started on the 5th July.

The following screen dump was made at 13:40 on the next day (6th July), and you can see the scan has not yet finished..
    Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??) 0f0934ca-fa62-4be6-8019-941f38787853?upload=true.png

The next picture was made the 6th July at 9pm - the scan still running. Allegedly 20million files... ??
    Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??) 397cfc2b-7cac-4e8b-a20f-22e1faa89910?upload=true.png

The next picture on 6th July 11pm... 23million files??

Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??) 3ff50ac4-1a8a-4acf-ada1-875ea1338ce6?upload=true.png

Nearly finished... The next picture on the 7th July at 8am.. still running.
    Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??) f77ac12e-eaf7-441a-97db-fa3576d7f395?upload=true.png

The next picture shows the scan finished. Taken on 7th July at 9:23am. Supposedly nearly 35million files.
    Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??) ef83a1dc-eb87-42f3-ac5d-2a677563a8c6?upload=true.png

So. Compare with a Treesize scan.

Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??) 15a0e314-d5b7-4fca-9736-5013d49f13ed?upload=true.png

This is indicating what I was expecting - around 1.25million files.

Now, the last scan as you have seen showed the results of my advanced custom scan completed, but maybe with the wrong number of files.

But look what happens if after closing Defender down, I reopen Defender
    Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??) 8e02adf5-5c9a-4417-a95b-d410e73a3bc6?upload=true.png

I get the Threat History showing that only a quick scan has been done.. and not the advanced scan that took nearly 3 days.
    Why is that ? Does a quick scan also run unknowingly while the long advanced scan is taking place.
    That's it.

So can someone knowledgable help me to understand with (1) an explanation please, plus (2) also show me where I can find for myself the information.
    The issues are (a) the number of files reported, plus (later, after the scan) (b) Why does Defender show only a quick scan had taken place a few days before.

Thanks in advance

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Security & privacy

:)

ol' Codger, Jul 8, 2018
  2. LorenWard Win User

I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

• Using File Explorer, I navigated to the folder I wanted to view the file counts, I right clicked on the column labels and chose File Count.
    • This is occurring on any folder when I try to use the File Count column
    • I currently use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    • I also tried changing the View to Detail Pane, that did not make any difference.

LorenWard, Jul 8, 2018
  3. I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

Hi Loren,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• How did you added file count column for folders in File Explorer? What are the steps did you followed?
    • When you say, "actual file count is not displaying" is this issue specific to any folder or happening with all folders?
    • Have you installed any third party anti-virus on your system?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View from navigation pane and choose Detail pane.
    Write to us with the above information and status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Jul 8, 2018
  4. Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??)

Reported number of files scanned differs, Defender window vs Notifications window

When I manually run a scan, Windows Defender will report 7720 files scanned (or some number in that vicinity). The Notifications/Actions Center will then present that there is a report "Windows Defender scan results" available to view.

Clicking that item opens the "Windows Defender Security Center" window which reports 5256 files scanned (or some number in that vicinity). The difference between these two numbers is seldom the same, but is always around 2464.

I have run consecutive scans 18 times this morning, getting numbers from 7774 to 7720 reported in the "Windows Defender Antivirus" window, and 5296 to 5256 in the "Windows Defender scan results" window. Differences in the count ranged from 2483 to 2464.

I can understand the variation in the file count from one pass to the next because of background processes (e-mail clients, auto-update actions, etc.) altering the number of files present, but why do the two reporting screens show such a large difference
    in the count of files scanned per each scan?

Semper Vaporo, Jul 8, 2018
Thema:

Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??)

1. Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??) - Similar Threads - Understanding W10 Defender

2. how to get windows defender scanned file count log.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to get windows defender scanned file count log.: How to get windows defender scanned file count log. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-windows-defender-scanned-file-count-log/8b81d339-7308-48c9-aa5a-53620af2b644
  3. how to get windows defender scanned file count log.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to get windows defender scanned file count log.: How to get windows defender scanned file count log. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-windows-defender-scanned-file-count-log/8b81d339-7308-48c9-aa5a-53620af2b644
  4. Windows 11 File Manager reports wrong file count & folder size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Manager reports wrong file count & folder size: File Manager does not consider all files & folders while calculating the size Right click --> Properties. When I checked further, found that files & folders without Read access are excluded from the calculation. Which other types of files & folders are excluded? Please...
  5. Windows 11 File Manager reports wrong file count & folder size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Manager reports wrong file count & folder size: File Manager does not consider all files & folders while calculating the size Right click --> Properties. When I checked further, found that files & folders without Read access are excluded from the calculation. Which other types of files & folders are excluded? Please...
  6. Defender scanned file number - report

Defender scanned file number - report: Hello,I have to somehow create a txt file with the result of a full scan.I can see it / when it ran, how many files scanned, No threats found ... But It can not be copied. I checked the log files - but it is not contained the data above .How can I create a custom report - I...
  7. How to display file number count out of total files in a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to display file number count out of total files in a folder: In older versions of Windows Explorer, there was a feature where you could click on a file in a folder and it would display the file number out of the total files in a folder. Ex. 3/100, would mean you are clicking on the 3rd file of 100 files in a folder. That feature...
  8. Number of view or open files count in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Number of view or open files count in windows explorer: I try to find a way to view how many time the files have been open in windows explorer Thanks everyone submitted by /u/cartmanbrah44 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f5dhla/number_of_view_or_open_files_count_in_windows/
  9. Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??)

Understanding a W10 & Defender anomoly - wrong number of files count (34million files??): Hi, TOPIC: I would value help in understanding what -and how - to clarify an anomoly in Windows 10 + Defender - where the advanced scan ran for 3 days and was searching roughly 34million files. However, I only have around 1.25million on the target USB drive! Please...
  10. Directory file count

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory file count: Does anyone know of a program that when run will give you the number of files in each directory. Thanks Shane. 63754