Windows 10: Understanding data transfer rates

Discus and support Understanding data transfer rates in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Greetings - with much trepidation about whatever it is I'm not grasping, I humbly ask for some help here. While 'watching' a large download (a game) on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Uglyhat, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Uglyhat Win User

Understanding data transfer rates

Greetings - with much trepidation about whatever it is I'm not grasping, I humbly ask for some help here. While 'watching' a large download (a game) on Task Manager and Resource Monitor, I see different data transfer rates in different units. Task Manager may indicate I'm receiving 5.0 Mbps. Resource Monitor then indicates something like 483,000 B/sec of the file of interest, with a few svchost connections receiving up to around 3,000 B/sec (under Processes with Network Activity). If there are 1x10^6 b per Mb, I'm receiving 5x10^6 per Task Manager, but only about 5x10^5 according to Resource Monitor.

Where's the other 90% of whatever is being transferred?

:)

Uglyhat, Jul 6, 2017
  2. mo_shef Win User

N97 Painfully slow to transfer files to mass storage

The Mass Storage mode on the N97 is abit slow like the N95 8GB. N96 and N86 have faster mass storage mode data transfer rate. On N95 8GB it will transfer data at the rate of 800KB, 900KB etc but were as on N96 it will transfer at the rate of 6.2MBs n up.

mo_shef, Jul 6, 2017
  3. connect to internet from pc via windows phone 8 through usb cable.

I mean 'tether' it using USB cable rather than wi-fi.

Main Techy reason is maximum Data Transfer Rate. The Wi-fi on my laptop has maximum data transfer rate of 54 Mbps. This is probably perfectly adequate for a 3G connection. BUT with the advent of 4G the Wi-fi data transfer rate is too low hence the need
    to tether using USB 2.0 Cable which has a max data transfer rate of 480 Mbps or or 60 MBps.

So if for example one is streaming Video on a 4G connection it really is necessary to be able to tether by USB cable rather than Wi-fi which has a lower data transfer rate.

Please advise whether MICROSOFT definitively intend to make the facility available to tether by usb cable (in addition to wi-fi) or not?

If not, please justify this in terms of data transfer rates for usb and wi-fi (and streaming HD video on a 4G connection). Thankyou.

BohdanStadnyk, Jul 6, 2017
  4. LMiller7 Win User

The numbers in Task Manager and Resource Monitor make sense but I don't follow your calculations.

Task Manager is showing a raw transfer rate of 5.0 Mb/s. That is 5,000,000 bits per second. As there are 8 bits per byte that equates to 5,000,000/8 or 625,000 Bytes per second. That is considerably higher than the 483,000 shown in Resource Monitor but that is easily explained. Task Manager is showing the total data transferred over the network interface while Resource Monitor is showing the actual transfer rate to the file in question. TCP/IP is a complex protocol with multiple levels of overhead. 483,000/625,000=.7728, or about 77.28% transfer efficiency.

LMiller7, Jul 6, 2017
  5. Uglyhat Win User
    8 bits per Byte. ... right. *bonks self* Thanks for taking the time to re-educate me - I can live with 77% transfer.

Uglyhat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Understanding data transfer rates - Similar Threads - Understanding data transfer

2. Transfer rate...really?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer rate...really?: Hi,Recently, when copying files from one folder to another large parts of folders or large files included, the transfer rate towards the end of the copy dies/goes to zero, and stays there.I have paused and unpaused..no changeI have restarted...no change.It is quite unexpected...
  3. Transfer rate...really?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer rate...really?: Hi,Recently, when copying files from one folder to another large parts of folders or large files included, the transfer rate towards the end of the copy dies/goes to zero, and stays there.I have paused and unpaused..no changeI have restarted...no change.It is quite unexpected...
  4. Transfer rate...really?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Why do data transfer rates vary so widely?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why do data transfer rates vary so widely?: Pardon me if this question has been addressed, but I couldn't get the search function to find this particular topic. When using the internal copy function to transfer files from a system's hard drive to an external hard drive, the data transfer rate seems to vary widely,...
  6. Slow data transfer rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow data transfer rate: I don't understand what the issue is. I'm moving 85gigs from one folder to another within the same folder on the same drive which is a hybrid drive and I've seen it go way faster but small or large it never goes over 55mb/s 151820
  7. How to see the real time data transfer rate during a file transfer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to see the real time data transfer rate during a file transfer?: How do I enable file transfer data speed to show during a file transfer? e.g. 100MB/s. When I copy a file, or move a file, all I see is the transfer box and a green progress bar. There is no data speed rate shown. I recall being able to click "more details", or something...
  8. What is the maximum bit-rate, khz resolution, and data transfer rate of a TOSLINK fiber...

What is the maximum bit-rate, khz resolution, and data transfer rate of a TOSLINK fiber...: Hello, I recently got a pair of speakers that support playing digital audio at 24-bit 192khz resolution. I'm planning to purchase a new audio card and install it on my PC and want to get one with a TOSLINK optical output because it's the only one my speakers support that...
  9. Slow USB Transfer rate

Slow USB Transfer rate: My lappie has USB3 ports. Or course I know the clock down to whatever device you attach. I have a 500G Seagate External rated at USB2. Meaning my transfers should be 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps), correct? So why am I getting half that...
  10. Slow transfer rates

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow transfer rates: Been dealing with this for awhile and I'm honestly not sure what could be causing it. So this happens when I'm moving files/folders from my PC to my external drive - [img] The speeds are good for about 5 seconds then it 'throttles' to literally 30kb/s or lower....