Windows 10: Understanding Memory Question

Discus and support Understanding Memory Question in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello all! I'm new here . I've been a lurker for a year now, but now it's time to create an account, and it's great to be here! but I have a question... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Faith, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Faith Win User

Understanding Memory Question

Hello all! I'm new here . I've been a lurker for a year now, but now it's time to create an account, and it's great to be here! but I have a question regarding the memory tab in Windows Task Manager. If I open it up it says 19%, but when I go to the advance tab it says "3200MB in use", "32MB Changed", and here comes the thing I don't understand: " 11273MB buffered/waiting", and only "1700MB Free". So I guess my question is, is this normal? I did play a couple of games hours ago, is it my games that are being buffered here? I have 16GB of memory in total, so why does it cache so much? Is it OK to only have 1700MB memory left?

Thanks *Smile

:)

Faith, Mar 15, 2016

2. Question for understanding main idea of Windows Automatic Driver Installer

Hi,

Windows automatically download recommended drivers and detailed information for your hardware and devices. However, it's strange that Windows installed different driver versions on your two laptops with the same hardware. We encourage you to submit your
    issue using the Feedback Hub.  You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback
    items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

For more information on Feedback Hub, see our
    support article
    and
    YouTube video

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

• On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in
      Cortana
      search, then launch the app.
    • Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
    • Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
    • Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking
      Begin monitoring
      (or Start capture) near the end of the form;
      Stop monitoring when you’re done.
    • Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
    • Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
    • Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
    • Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
    • Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like URL Manager link>).

Help us make Windows better.   

Gerard Qui, Mar 15, 2016
  3. Question for understanding main idea of Windows Automatic Driver Installer

Can someone from official Microsoft team explain the main purpose and how you define automatic driver installer in Windows 10? How it must look like, and what problem it must solve?

Why do I'm asking this question:

I'm installed Win10, all drivers installed automatically, but the driver dates very old (2016 versions) while right now is 2018.

I have another laptop, where I have similar hardware, and automatically downloaded and installed from windows store LATEST actual stable drivers from December 2017, and even March drivers.

So question:

- Why does it happen? Why installed OLD drivers, and not latest one?

- How can I keep automatically downloading LATEST drivers from windows update center on Win10?

Before you will post, please keep in mind next:

- I'm asking for the official vision of what Microsoft doing with drivers at Win10 for different hardware

- I know, that Microsoft Update Center contains around 500.000 drivers right now, for different hardware, but for some reason it's picking NOT latest driver from their storage for installing it to laptop, and this is very strange, because at the same time
    on another laptop automatically after windows installation installed LATEST drivers for hardware.

- I know, that I can visit manufacturer official site for downloading drivers, but the question not about manufacturer site, the question about Microsoft goals what they wish to achieve by doing that, and what is wrong?

What do I think about Microsoft Windows Driver Updates

- I think you made it make simply install for end user all drivers for their hardware, and this is a great feature

- I think you are interested in keeping latest actual and stable drivers for different hardware, and the situation with my extra laptop confirm this

- But I don't understand why are you installing on the same hardware but on another laptop totally different drivers?

- What should I do for keeping up to date drivers from Windows Update Center for my hardware like it happened on my extra laptop device?

Please explain. Thank you.

NextEpisode, Mar 15, 2016
  4. Understanding Memory Question

Unless you have problems with an insufficient memory, better ignore this topic altogether.
    Microsoft tried to explain it in 40 mins long video, if you have got time, you can watch it.

Memory Compression in Windows 10 RTM Channel 9

TairikuOkami, Mar 15, 2016
  5. Faith Win User
    Thanks! Very interesting video. Not sure if I understood everything, but from what I could gather, Windows 10 is much more heavy or aggressive with its memory management. Instead of utilizing too much on pagefiling on discs, wearing them out with read/writes especially on SSDs, it will actually use more of the RAM with compression techniques to store and free memory. In my case having a lot of buffered files on RAM is actually a good thing. *Smile

So completely normal, question solved I guess.

Faith, Mar 15, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    With 16gb of ram you can safely disable the pagefile. This really isn't needed with that much memory and a good computer.

Here's a screenshot of my memory stats for comparison.

Understanding Memory Question [​IMG]

swarfega, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Understanding Memory Question

1. Understanding Memory Question - Similar Threads - Understanding Memory Question

2. Trying to understand Application Error Instruction at Referenced Memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to understand Application Error Instruction at Referenced Memory: I'm just trying to get a better understanding of specifically what this error is telling me:My specific question is whether the "referenced memory" address it refers to is an address in RAM, or an address on the system C: drive. I assume that it's RAM, as it says memory, but...
  3. Question about "Virtual Memory"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about "Virtual Memory": I have two drives. C is an SSD and D is an HDD. If I manually set the "Virtual Memory" to page file on C only, and I ran a RAM intensive program installed on D, would the program make use of the virtual memory that I allocated on C? submitted by /u/CEDoromal [link]...
  4. Understanding different memtest86 results with same memory modules

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Understanding different memtest86 results with same memory modules: Hi, First of all, I'm sorry in case this is not the right forum. I thought "general" was the best fit because the one with bsods requieres other information. I've had this PC since 2012 and never had a problem. I had 2 memory sticks same brand same speed (1333), 2gb each....
  5. Memory Management BSOD Question

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory Management BSOD Question: HI. I have recently been experiencing numerous BSOD that for the most part are being caused by a memory management stop code. I first tried running the memory check function which reported no errors. It did would complete successfully but on some occasion it would experience...
  6. Memory question

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory question: It used to be I think, that when closing down a program or programs and bringing them back up again would create a shortage of memory in a sense, or was it called a memory leak. My question is: in Windows 10, does that type of thing still happen? In other words, closing down...
  7. Intel Optane memory question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel Optane memory question: I just got a new laptop, hp spectre, upgraded to the intel optane memory 32 gb. I want to check that the upgrade is there, however, when I go search through system information, I find that intel optane was added, but it doesn't say how much memory. I am absolutely NOT tech...
  8. windows 10 terms and conditions questions for understanding

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 terms and conditions questions for understanding: I have a question about the terms of conditions of windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm i was told that i can have any number of computers on network (home network --not business--) as long as each...
  9. Virtual Memory (Noob Question)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Virtual Memory (Noob Question): So I recently found this article to increase my PC performance by setting this settings to, well it varies. Quick question, how much do I need to put in minimal and max, I have like 8gb of memory right now. [img] 121989
  10. Memory Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Memory Question: Hello all. I recently upgraded my Memory from 8 to 16 Gigs. same make. model and vendor, i have noticed that i only have 7.9 Gigs Usable. but on boot up and in control panel ,system i am able to see 16 Gigs , am i missing something here ? [img] Thanks in Advance...