Windows 10: Understanding Product code and activation

Discus and support Understanding Product code and activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; On early Windows versions (95 or 98), where there was no internet, all you needed to activate Windows was a valid code. At that time, with any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Megahertz, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Megahertz Win User

Understanding Product code and activation

On early Windows versions (95 or 98), where there was no internet, all you needed to activate Windows was a valid code. At that time, with any activation code that satisfied the decryption equation inside Windows, even a pirate code, was able to activate. With the same windows copy and code it is possible to install on more than one computer.

With Windows XP, to avoid pirate’s codes, even with an activation code that satisfied the decryption equation inside Windows, MS began to verify, via internet or via telephone, if the code was a valid code furnished by MS. Once activated, at boot, Windows make a check to see if there has been any hardware modification since activation. Installing a new or different expansion card will lead to a new activation.
    With the same Windows copy and code it is possible to install on more than one computer.

With Win Vista and Win 7, MS after verifying via internet or via telephone, if the code is a valid code, it began to record when the activation was done. To avoid unnecessary activation by installation or changing of add on cards, MS began to verify at boot if the LAN hardware MAC (manufacture code) hasn’t change. As most LAN hardware is integrated nowadays to the motherboard, this check was to see if the motherboard hasn’t changed. For instance, if you disable LAN on BIOS, Windows will claim for activation.
    If you ever tried to reinstall Windows on a period less than a year or so from last activation, it won’t activate automatically, and you have to do by telephone. With the same Windows copy and code it is possible to install on more than one computer, using the telephone to activate.

I never did a Win 8 installation, but for what I read, I suppose MS is now recording the LAN MAC when you first activate, so it will activate automatically regardless when it was last activation, as long as it has the same LAN MAC, or in other words, same motherboard. Don’t know what is the procedure to activate if you change your motherboard (and the LAN code associated). Also don’t know if, with the same Windows copy and code, it is possible to install on more than one computer, using the telephone to activate.

Now let’s understand how Win 10 is activated. There are two scenarios:

- You have original win 7 or Win 8. You CAN’T use your win 7 or Win 8 code to do a fresh install. You will have first to do an upgrade on your win 7 or Win 8 (run setup from inside Windows, I suppose), MS will then verify if your win 7 or Win 8 is original, record your LAN MAC and activate. After this upgrade activation you can do a clean install using the same motherboard (LAN MAC). You just skip inserting the code during installation. To activate, MS won’t verify the Win 10 code, but if the LAN MAC has been used before during an update. Of course, if you have used same Windows 7 or 8 code in more than one computer, only the first one to activate will activate automatically.

- You by a buy a Win 10 code. In this case you have to insert the Win 10 code you bought during installation. For what I read, I suppose MS will record the LAN MAC when you first activate, so it will activate automatically regardless when it was last activation, as long as it has the same LAN MAC, or in other words, same motherboard. Don’t know what is the procedure to activate if you change your motherboard (and the LAN code associated). Also don’t know if, with the same Windows copy and code, it is possible to install on more than one computer, using the telephone to activate.

I’m not planning to do the update right away, for obvious reasons. Many bugs to correct and there will be many, many problems and fixes on the next months ahead. The ideal is to wait the first service pack before installing a new OS.

:)

Megahertz, Jul 31, 2015
  2. John Sarc Win User

Activation product code

Hi Noah,

To better assist you with regard to entering your product key, we would like to know what exactly is happening during the process. Do you get any error message when entering it? Are you getting the page where to enter the product key?

In the meantime, see this link
    on how to activate Windows 10. At the bottom part of the page, check the steps that matches your Windows scenario.

Regards.

John Sarc, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Activation product code

Press Windows key + R

Type: slui 3

Hit Enter

Try entering your product key.

Also, try running the Activation Troubleshooter in Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Troubleshoot

Let it perform a diagnostics test to find out whats the problem.

You can also try entering the product key through the command line:

Click Start, type: cmd

Right click CMD then click Run as administrator

At the command prompt, type the following commands:

slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx (allows you to replace the current product key with the specified)

xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx - represents your product key

Hit Enter on your keyboard

Exit the command prompt

Restart your computer

Andre Da Costa, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

Understanding Product code and activation

1. Understanding Product code and activation - Similar Threads - Understanding Product code

2. Product Code

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product Code: I purchased a used computer off amazon. According to the product discription it came preloaded MS office 2010. Although the programs are loaded on the machine, it is not activated and asking for a product key. I am still waiting to hear back from the seller, but I was...
  3. Product code

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Product code: I purchased minecraft from the microsoft store and cant find the product key/code https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-code/625a44b3-7549-4c2d-92c7-0e2c6bb2862e
  4. Product Code

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Code: How do I find my product code for my Windows PC on Windows 10? I need it for the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-code/2e7da973-4d44-484a-b44a-e2ff87bab135
  5. Product Code

Product Code: We recently bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1 with Windows 10 already installed. However when trying to activate Windows 10, the directions keeps asking for the Activation Code. Where is the Activation Code located? Angela...
  6. Product code

Product code: Hello, i recently downgraded my laptop to windows 7 but drivers were not available so i redownloaded windows 10 using my homemade windows usb stick i made from my other pc. It asked me for my microsoft account and automatically used my digital licence i have on my other pc....
  7. Product code

in Windows 10 Customization
    Product code: I purchased a HP laptop at Sam's Warehouse 3 days ago. They told me I had basic Word I do not want word office 365. I need the product code for basic word. Thank you Fran...
  8. Change Activation Product Code

Change Activation Product Code: I have tried to change the product key using either my Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro 64 bit product keys. But every time i go to change product key, and put the new key it, and run ShowKey Plus, it shows the same old product key. Is there a simple way to clear the UEFI of the old key...
  9. product code for windows 10 activation

product code for windows 10 activation: I had windows 8.1 on my computer and last night I downloaded windows 10 but now says I need a p roduct code to activate which I don't have how can I get one...
  10. product code

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    product code: Ive just bought 360 and I dont have a product code to activate powerpoint etc ... where do i find this as it wasnt on the confirmation email https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/product-code/23b8c939-c314-42fe-9d30-dfcdc90d9d8b