Windows 10: Understanding Secure Boot

Discus and support Understanding Secure Boot in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I don't really understand what this is? I made sure that I had it set to disabled when I installed Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Edition yesterday because... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GregH, Aug 3, 2016.

1. GregH Win User

Understanding Secure Boot

I don't really understand what this is? I made sure that I had it set to disabled when I installed Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Edition yesterday because I read that I should do that on the forums here. It was disabled by default on my MSI M/Board anyway.

I did install Windows in UEFI mode. Should I now enable Secure Boot? What does it do and what are the pro's and con's of enabling it?

:)

GregH, Aug 3, 2016

2. Boot error "secure boot violation invalid signature detected check secure boot policy in setup ".

Hi Sebastian,

The issue is you are getting an error “secure boot violation - invalid signature detected”. We need some more information to assist you in a better way.

• Do you get any error code along with the error message?
    • How did you install Windows 10? Was it upgrade or clean install?
    • When you get a lot of words, is it on a blue screen?
    • Have you updated chipset and BIOS drivers?
    • Are you able to boot to the desktop?
    • Did you try to boot in safe mode? If yes, were you able to boot?
    Here is something we may try and check if this helps in resolving the issue with the error secure boot violation - invalid signature detected.

Method 1: Disable security boot

I would also suggest you to disable the secure boot and check. When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be any of the function key (eg: F12). Restart the computer; keep pressing the
    Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu. Disable the secure boot option and check.

Method 2: Disable driver signature enforcement.

Please refer the link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Note: Refer Disable driver signature enforcement in the link above.

You may contact the computer manufacturer for further assistance if this doesn’t resolve the issue for changes in BIOS (Basic Input/output system).

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps. Please get back to us with more information if the issue persists, or if you have any queries related to Windows. We are here to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Aug 3, 2016
  3. Boot error "secure boot violation invalid signature detected check secure boot policy in setup ".

Original Title: Boot error

hey!

i want to dual boot, but when i start from my usb stick an error comes "secure boot violation invalid signature detected check secure boot policy in setup ".

Sebastian_24, Aug 3, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Secure boot makes it more difficult to install non standard OS's that do not meet the modern UEFI standards, to ensure good design, and a major side effect of that is that it makes it more difficult for malware to hijack your PC as part of the booting process. So yeah, enable it for added protection. It will not affect Windows 8 or 10.

You would have to turn it off for Widows 7 or some other 'mon secure boot friendly" OS's if you wanted to dual boot.

cereberus, Aug 3, 2016
  5. GregH Win User
    Great thanks. Does it slow down the boot process at all?

GregH, Aug 3, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    The main idea behind it is it won't boot unless the system is correct the idea is if you get infected boot files it shouldn't boot

Samuria, Aug 3, 2016
  7. Feather Win User
    That information is incorrect.

You do not need to disable Secure Boot if you install Windows 8/10 in UEFI mode.

No.

Feather, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Understanding Secure Boot - Similar Threads - Understanding Secure Boot

2. How to understand and fix a security issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to understand and fix a security issue.: Hello,my windows icon says Windows Security - Actions recommended. I don't know how to fix. Computer is running slow. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-understand-and-fix-a-security-issue/ca87b521-1602-40d5-84bf-84c1298991d3
  3. How to understand and fix a security issue.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to understand and fix a security issue.: Hello,my windows icon says Windows Security - Actions recommended. I don't know how to fix. Computer is running slow. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-understand-and-fix-a-security-issue/ca87b521-1602-40d5-84bf-84c1298991d3
  4. How to understand and fix a security issue.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Secure Boot: I cannot get secure boot to enable. When it does, it goes back to Bios. NZXT Z490 Mother Board https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secure-boot/1f611684-b0bb-49e3-839b-7305867e0d34
  6. secure boot

secure boot: * * Duplicate of Secure Boot Problem My Pc Configuration-Ram 8GBRyzen3 3600G1TB HARD DRIVEASUS A320M-K MOTHERBOARDI Have Downloaded Windows 11 Files From Microsoft Official WebsiteI Have Turned My TPM 2.0 ONand secure boot also in bioswhen I am checking by enteringmsnfo32it...
  7. secure boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    secure boot: My Pc Configuration-Ram 8GBRyzen3 3600G1TB HARD DRIVEASUS A320M-K MOTHERBOARDI Have Downloaded Windows 11 Files From Microsoft Official WebsiteI Have Turned My TPM 2.0 ONand secure boot also in bioswhen I am checking by enteringmsnfo32it shows Secure Boot-UnsupportedBut IN...
  8. SECURE BOOT

SECURE BOOT: I HAVE ENABLED SECURE BOOT IN BIOS BUT IT IS SHOWING YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 11 BEACUSE SECURE BOOT IN NOT ENABLED https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secure-boot/b86955aa-02e0-4139-88bb-71999c57dd8b
  9. Understanding Security Warnings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Understanding Security Warnings: Apologies, this is a Win XP question (but I don't know a good XP place to ask) and it may be valid for Win 10 Someone sent me some zipped up mp3's via "FileFactory". I have them and all's fine - except as I do stuff with them I was getting "Open File Security Warning". I've...
  10. secure boot

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    secure boot: How do I turn off secure boot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/secure-boot/20f1624d-bc65-485c-a068-fb89bf4ef320"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. understanding secure boot

2. understand windows secure boot