Windows 10: Understanding versions in an evergreen browser

Discus and support Understanding versions in an evergreen browser in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The most recent Windows Insider Preview release (build 10547) contains a new set of features now available for Insiders to test – we encourage you to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Understanding versions in an evergreen browser

Source: Understanding versions in an evergreen browser | Microsoft Edge Dev Blog

:)

Brink, Sep 20, 2015
  2. Jetta48 Win User

Edge or IE

Hi

Both IE11 and Edge are built-in to Windows 10.

Here are the basic differences:

• Edge cannot use add-ons (except the built-in Flash Player) so it will not work with sites that need Silverlight, Java, etc. You also won't be able to install 3rd party toolbars.
    • Edge only has a favorites bar built-in - there is no Menu bar, Command bar, or Status bar.
    • Organising favorites in Edge is a pain at the moment.
    • Edge is, in my experience, quicker than IE11.
    • Edge is, in my experience so far, more stable than IE has been for me in the past. This may be at least in part due to the lack of add-ons which can be incompatible, corrupted, etc.
    • Edge currently has fewer options and settings compared to IE11.
    • Lack of add-ons may help with security. See also:
      http://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/05/11/microsoft-edge-building-a-safer-browser/
    • Edge will be regularly updated so the days of upgrading from a major IE version to the next will hopefully not be such an issue - see:

http://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/09/21/understanding-versions-in-an-evergreen-browser/

If you use Edge, you can select the 3 dots ... near the top right corner then
    Open with Internet Explorer if you find a site won't work with it.

Personally, I think that Edge needs more polish particularly with regard to organising favorites and opening tab before I'll use it as my main browser. It does look very promising to me though. The choice is yours.

Jetta48, Sep 20, 2015
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    BossDweeb, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Rocky Win User

I am using build 10547 and my version of Edge simply says 21.10547.0.0 without any HTML version underneath it. Am I doing something wrong. I have checked my updates a couple of times today.

Rocky, Sep 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Understanding versions in an evergreen browser - Similar Threads - Understanding versions evergreen

2. Evergreen 0xc0000139 .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Evergreen 0xc0000139 .: windows 7 1servicepack x64 . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/evergreen-%EB%8F%85%EB%A6%BD/43ec0644-4523-479f-b978-523c2b7a95fc
  3. Evergreen 0xc0000139 .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Evergreen 0xc0000139 .: windows 7 1servicepack x64 . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/evergreen-%EB%8F%85%EB%A6%BD/43ec0644-4523-479f-b978-523c2b7a95fc
  4. Understanding partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Understanding partitions: The following image is from Macrium Reflect showing my boot drive. This is a 237 GB SSD. I don't quite follow how (or why) there's 4 partitions, one of which is grayed out showing as 455 MB and another 521MB showing as red, suggesting it's near full. Thanks for any advice....
  5. Understanding partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    Understanding partitions: The following image is from Macrium Reflect showing my boot drive. This is a 237 GB SSD. I don't quite follow how (or why) there's 4 partitions, one of which is grayed out showing as 455 MB and another 521MB showing as red, suggesting it's near full. Thanks for any advice....
  6. Having trouble understanding how local version of One Drive works

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Having trouble understanding how local version of One Drive works: My wife started using a local version of One Drive (she never signed up for on-line One Drive that I am aware of) to download her pics from her phone. It just started doing that automatically it seems. She then copied pictures from that One Drive folder to the appropriate...
  7. understanding windows 10 updates: version, quality, os build info

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    understanding windows 10 updates: version, quality, os build info: How does one tell if a win10 is fully updated, or patched? On my pc @ home, it shows version 1909 with I think build 18363.something and either zero or two quality updates. On a work pc, it shows version 1809 build 17763.973, with 21 quality updates. Today's date is Feb 10,...
  8. Trying to understand KB, version and build numbers and release dates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to understand KB, version and build numbers and release dates: In August, my x86 Windows 10 Pro computer had Cumulative Update KB4512941 successfully installed three times, on 26, 28 and 29 August. According to the Windows Update history page, this update to build 18362.329 was first released on 30 August, so did I get three pre-release...
  9. Engine Version (understanding)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Engine Version (understanding): Hi Team, Have a quick question across Engine Versions sub-parts mapping in Windows defender . When we say the version is - 1.1.15100.1. Can you help me understand what does 15100 denote here. How can I extract the month , date , year and other specific components that ca...
  10. question about Edge browser version

in Windows 10 Support
    question about Edge browser version: Hi *Smile I have Windows 10 Pro for my laptop and found today that the version of my Edge browser is different with my friend's. Edge on my laptop is 20.10240.16384.0 and my friend's is 25.10586.0.0. Both computers are running up to date Windows 10 Pro and both were...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. For sites or other resources that are primarily concerned with tracking availability of web standards and other developer-facing features we recommend tracking against the EdgeHTML version number rather than the Edge app version number.