Windows 10: Undo: Merged your Pictures folder with your User folder

Discus and support Undo: Merged your Pictures folder with your User folder in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Undo: Merged your Pictures folder with your User folder In Windows 10 you can Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10. You may have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Hewjr100, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Hewjr100 Win User

Undo: Merged your Pictures folder with your User folder

How to: Undo: Merged your Pictures folder with your User folder

In Windows 10 you can Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10. You may have done this, for example, because your C: drive is an SSD with limited free space and you want to keep your Pictures on a larger E: drive.

When you make this move the original C:\Users\<YourUsername>\Pictures folder will be deleted. If you change your mind and want to move Pictures back to the C: drive you will have to create a new Pictures folder in your User folder and select that as the destination. If you fail to take this step and just select C:\Users\<YourUsername> then Windows warns you that you are trying to merge Pictures with you Profile and that this is a permanent change that cannot be undone.

Undo: Merged your Pictures folder with your User folder [​IMG]

At this point you should have cancelled, created a new Pictures folder and selected that. Unfortunately it's all to easy to click Yes before you've fully reading the warning.

The consequences of merging the folders can be very confusing, so first a description of some strange effects you may see so that you can identify this as being your problem. In the screenshots that follow a user with the name Owner has merged their Pictures folder with their user profile folder, C:\Users\Owner. The most obvious anomaly is that the user folder now appears in some parts of File Explorer under the name Pictures and with a 'pictures' icon, but a Command Prompt will still show its true name.

Your User folder will also contain a Pictures folder which, if you click on it, will take you to your same User folder, but with some subtle differences in what you can see there. You won't see a Pictures folder any more, but you will now see Camera Roll and Saved Pictures.

Windows is correct in saying that you cannot undo the redirection with the normal tools Windows provides. But it is possible to manually separate the Pictures and Profile functions of the merged folder. To repair the damage done, follow these steps. It's important to perform all the steps in this order, so do not try any shortcuts.

Here's How:

1. Open File Explorer, in the View ribbon tick 'File name extensions' and 'Hidden files'. On the View ribbon, click Options > change folder and search options. In the window that opens click the View tab. Scroll down and untick 'Hide folder merge conflicts' and 'Hide protected operating system files'. Click Apply or OK to save these changes.

2. In the left hand column of file Explorer (otherwise known as the Navigation Pane) click on your User folder (the one with a user icon to its left). In these examples the user has the name Owner.

3. In your user folder, create a new folder named Pictures. You will now see two Pictures folders, the original one with a pictures icon, the new one as a plain folder.

4. find the desktop.ini file in C:\Users\<yourname> and move it into the new C:\Users\<yourname>\Pictures you just created.

5. Using File Explore to cut and paste, move your live folders 'Camera Roll', 'Saved Pictures', and 'Screenshots' if it exists (will only be there if you've used WinKey+PrtScn) and any photos to the new C:\Users\<yourname>\Pictures you created.

6. Open Registry Editor (regedit) and go to the key...
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

*note Before making any registry changes, always back up the registry key in case you make an error and need to restore it. Select the key (in this case User Shell Folders) in the left hand list, then use File > Export... to save the key as a .reg file. You can restore the key by double-clicking on the .reg file you created.

7. You can now edit both {0DDD015D-B06C-45D5-8C4C-F59713854639} and My Pictures to point to %USERPROFILE%\Pictures

Double-click on the item in the right hand list to open the edit dialog box, type the changes and click OK to save them. Sign out and then back in, or restart the PC for these registry changes to take effect.

That's it. You now have a functional pictures folder with all its standard sub-folders located in the C:\Users\<yourname>\Pictures folder. If you wish, you can now move it elsewhere. Or you can just leave it where it is.

Note Initially your new Pictures folder may just have a plain folder icon. After making the changes it took about 10 minutes of using the PC before the normal pictures folder icon returned. If it doesn't return, try a Restart or two. If it still doesn't come back try rebuilding the Icon Cache.

my thanks go to @Barman58 for bringing desktop.ini to my attention, moving that was key to getting this to work.

:)

Hewjr100, Mar 6, 2017
  2. Bree Win User

Problem with user profile file structure

@Try3, one of the key steps in disentangling merged folders (in the case I looked at it was Pictures and the User profile folder) is to move the desktop.ini files.See this tutorial for more details...

3. Mohan B P Win User
    Picture User Folder vs Library Picture Folder / Add to User folder

Hi,

Form the issue description, I realize that you are trying to view your pictures in the default pictures library. To do so, you have to change the location of the folder that contains your pictures to the default pictures library folder.

To view your pictures in the default pictures library, I suggest you to follow the steps below.

• Right-click on the default Picture folder
      and click on Properties.

• Navigate to Location tab.

• Click on Move…. and select the folder that contains your pictures and click on
      Apply and then click on Ok.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us for further information on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Oct 27, 2019
  4. 2pacaveli Win User

Accidentally merged user pictures folder with (GUndo: Merged your Pictures folder with your User folder :) drive.

Thank you for your reply. The problem is when I relocated the user Pictures folder to G drive I never created a folder for it inside G drive, so it's now the entire G drive and the pictures folder and videos folder got merged with the drive itself. Check the last screenshot from my IMGUR link and compare that to step 3 from the option one tutorial you linked. When I try to click revert to default location I'm afraid it will move my entire G drive and its contents to the C:/User/example/Pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    I found someone with the same problem as mine and you told them to do the same thing and it worked for them. I should trust your expertise and try it then.

2pacaveli, Oct 27, 2019
  5. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

6. RBS95 Win User
    I've accidentally replaced my User folder with my Pictures folder

3. In the Reece folder, create a new folder named Pictures. You will now see two Pictures folders, the original one with a pictures icon, the new one as a plain folder.

When I try to follow this step I get asked if I want to merge the folder

Do I select Yes?

RBS95, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Undo: Merged your Pictures folder with your User folder - Similar Threads - Undo Merged Pictures

2. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder: hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my user and desktop file.i Have tried to follow the answer to this question, but it didn't work:...
  3. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder: hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my user and desktop file.i Have tried to follow the answer to this question, but it didn't work:...
  4. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Merged User folder and Download folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Merged User folder and Download folder: What I did is i merged my download folder with my hp folderI decided to move my download folder from c to d drive so i did that later i decided to move it back to its orignal place but i accidently merged them. After seeing from many web site and youtube they said me that in...
  6. Accidently merged desktop folder with user folder renaming user folder

Accidently merged desktop folder with user folder renaming user folder: while trying to move Desktop folder from one drive to another I accidently merged the two. I then followed the directions in the following link and succeeded in separating the two using registry...
  7. Users folder merged with pictures

Users folder merged with pictures: Hello, so the other day I was trying to move some folders from my SSD to my HDD, and in the process I somehow merged the users folder with my Pictures folder, I was wondering if there is any way I can get this fixed by myself or will I have to hire someone with experience to...
  8. Merged Downloads Folder with Users Folder.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Merged Downloads Folder with Users Folder.: So I accidentally merged the Downloads folder with my Users folder. I've tried the registry fix to no avail. I don't really want to do a fresh install but it appears I may have to. Any help? Thanks submitted by /u/IrishDejent [link] [comments]...
  9. Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder

Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder: Hello. I'm reposting this because last time I posted this, I got a reply, but no complete answer. I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ (pengu is the name of my user folder). Now I have a folder...
  10. Accidentally merged user pictures folder with (G:) drive.

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidentally merged user pictures folder with (G:) drive.: I originally wanted to move the location of the Pictures folder and the Videos folder that comes default with my OS drive (C:) to my larger (G:) drive so I would have more space on the C drive. The problem was I didn't create a new folder in my G drive when it asked for the...