Windows 10: Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap on Boot-up

Discus and support Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap on Boot-up in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi I have a bit of a weird problem in that in about one out of every five reboots my PC fails to boot up first time and comes up with an UNEXPECTED... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TraceyW, Oct 25, 2017.

1. TraceyW Win User

Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap on Boot-up

Hi

I have a bit of a weird problem in that in about one out of every five reboots my PC fails to boot up first time and comes up with an UNEXPECTED KERNAL MODE TRAP (which I believe is designated code 7F). It then has another go and is generally successful. This morning I couldn't sleep and came to do some work on my PC and for the second time since this started I had no choice but to boot up into Win7. After spending some time using Win7 I tried rebooting Win10 again and it went in beautifully.

Between these episodes of failing to boot first time it runs up lovely and behaves perfectly but then without warning it fails yet again to boot up first time and as I say, on two occasions I have had to boot into Win7. Whilst I could go on like this for a long time, apart from being annoying it is somewhat worrying as it could be an indicator that something is dying.

I do not consider myself to be an idiot and I am aware that on such occasions PCs produce a dump file and whilst I have managed to install WinDBG and get it running, what I am seeing is not making a lot of sense to me. I have reason to believe that a Stack Overflow is occurring although I could be wrong. I am therefore wondering if someone more experienced that me in such matters could have a look a my files and see what it tells them. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Tracey

PS I've used the Memory Diagnostic Tool and it's come up with nothing - no problem at all
    PPS I done a search on the forum and so far have not found anything similar to my problem so am starting a new thread

:)

TraceyW, Oct 25, 2017

2. received KERNAL MODE TRAP blue screen error

I keep getting the unexpected kernel mode trap blue screen errors.

Any fix for this?

Original Title: KERNAL MODE TRAP

JeremiahSmith, Oct 25, 2017
  3. unexpected kernal mode trap

My computer starts to shut down and gives the error code of unexpected kernal mode trap

SusanPaxton_256, Oct 25, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Oct 25, 2017
  5. TraceyW Win User
    Phil

Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

The following is the file associated with the starting post. I also have another .DMP file (Memory.DMP) which is too big to post on this forum.

Tracey

TraceyW, Oct 25, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    Hi Tracey,

The full memory.dmp can be shared via a link to a cloud service such as OneDrive. However, it may not be necessary.

All your mini-dump files show a similar stack (find this by using the k command in WinDBG) and there are two 3rd party drivers in all the stacks which do not have symbol files loaded. This could be the cause of your problem so I would look for updated drivers for them. One of them is an Avast driver so for simplicity you could simply uninstall Avast and see if it makes a difference. (I use Windows defender and don't bother with additional anti-virus packages.). The other is a Tunebyte high speed dubbing driver and there may need to be an updated driver provided by the manufacturer.

Code: 3: kd> k # Child-SP RetAddr Call Site 00 ffffa380`77f089a8 fffff800`f1bfd8a9 nt!KeBugCheckEx 01 ffffa380`77f089b0 fffff800`f1bfb6f3 nt!KiBugCheckDispatch+0x69 02 ffffa380`77f08af0 fffff800`f1af0927 nt!KiDoubleFaultAbort+0xb3 03 ffffa380`79cfbf70 fffff800`f1ad66d9 nt!MiInsertNonPagedPoolOnSlist+0x17 04 ffffa380`79cfc040 fffff800`f1d05323 nt!MiFreePoolPages+0x49 05 ffffa380`79cfc070 fffff800`f1d06801 nt!ExDeferredFreePool+0x303 06 ffffa380`79cfc0f0 fffff800`f1af1e94 nt!ExFreePoolWithTag+0x7e1 07 ffffa380`79cfc1f0 fffff800`f1af2801 nt!IopCompleteRequest+0xa64 08 ffffa380`79cfc2e0 fffff805`51cc4b5e nt!IopfCompleteRequest+0x441 09 ffffa380`79cfc410 fffff805`4e813615 portcls!DispatchDeviceIoControl+0x13e 0a ffffa380`79cfc4b0 fffff805`51cc4886 ks!KsDispatchIrp+0x55 0b ffffa380`79cfc570 fffff805`4f40a84c portcls!PcDispatchIrp+0x66 0c ffffa380`79cfc5e0 ffff8e8d`c2ce0a28 tbhsd+0xa84c 0d ffffa380`79cfc5e8 ffff8e8d`c2ce0a70 0xffff8e8d`c2ce0a28 0e ffffa380`79cfc5f0 ffff8e8d`c2ce0010 0xffff8e8d`c2ce0a70 0f ffffa380`79cfc5f8 fffff805`4f23179e 0xffff8e8d`c2ce0010 10 ffffa380`79cfc600 fffff805`4f231529 ksthunk!CKSThunkDevice:Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap on Boot-up :DispatchIoctl+0xbe 11 ffffa380`79cfc640 fffff805`4e73c39d ksthunk!CKernelFilterDevice:Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap on Boot-up :DispatchIrp+0xf9 12 ffffa380`79cfc6a0 ffff8e8d`c2ce0000 aswSnx+0x4c39d 13 ffffa380`79cfc6a8 00000000`00000000 0xffff8e8d`c2ce0000[/quote] Code: BugCheck 7F, {8, ffffa38077f08af0, ffffa38079cfbf70, fffff800f1af0927} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for tbhsd.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for tbhsd.sys *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswSnx.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswSnx.sys[/quote]

philc43, Oct 25, 2017
  7. philc43 Win User
    I also looked at your eventlog file to see if there were any other issues and this indicated that you are also running Bitdefender. In my experience it is not a good idea to run more than one antivirus package as they often conflict with each other. There were a number of Bitdefender errors such as:
    Code: Application pop-up: BitDefender Threat Scanner : A problem has occured in BitDefender Threat Scanner. A file containing error information has been created at C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\BitDefender Threat Scanner.dmp. You are strongly encouraged to send the file to the developers of the application for further investigation of the error.[/quote] Just something to watch out for *Smile

philc43, Oct 25, 2017
  8. TraceyW Win User

Phil

Thanks for your feedback.

As far as Avast is concerned I have now removed it and installed Avira on a temporary basis. Is Windows Defender really that good that you can do without a third-party program? As for the other item you mentioned, 'a Tunebyte high speed dubbing driver', I have no idea what the heck it is therefore I cannot update it as yet. I'll do some searching on the net and see what I come up with but at present I'm completely at a loss. Any chance you could give me some pointers?

Finally you also mention BitDefender. Yes, well! I DID have BitDefender installed but removed it some while ago as I decided I didn't like it but there's this little remnant left over that generates a log file and I don't know where to find it. I'm beginning to wonder if something was installed in the Reserved Partition this is still having some sort of effect on my PC. What do you think? Is it possible. My husband also gets a message coming up when he shuts down as do I but that is the only time it makes itself known and the log file location is detailed in the message displayed.

Again, many thanks for your comments so far and if can spare a little more of your time answering the questions above it would be very much appreciated. Whatever, at least you've given me some ideas as to what to look for and hopefully I shall be able to take it from here. I would particularly be interested to hear back regarding Windows Defender if at all possible please.

Tracey

TraceyW, Oct 25, 2017
  9. philc43 Win User
    Just a quick answer on Windows defender - I think with all AV products there has to be an element of caution, no AV can catch absolutely everything out there or anticipate every new threat before it happens. So you are the best defence and you should avoid doing anything that could allow harmful files access to your PC - so never open files sent to you that you do not know the history of. Don't click on links in emails or on websites that have any suspicious domain names etc, etc. I know that sometimes we drop our guard and maybe end up on websites that are not safe so an AV is necessary to minimise damage that could occur.

I have found Win Defender perfectly adequate for me but I also run Malwarebytes as an added precaution. Have a look at some of the threads in the AV section, you will find others who are like me and also see recommendations to use different products. You just have to do what feels right for you. All I will say is that as a BSOD analyst I see an awful lot of BSOD events that are triggered by the AV package drivers which do not always keep up with the changes in the operating system as W10 evolves.

Regarding Bitdefender you may have to do a google search on uninstall methods for complete removal of the particular product you had.

philc43, Oct 25, 2017
  10. TraceyW Win User
    Phil

Thanks for your message and the info re AV packages. I think for the moment though I'll stick with Avira and see how I get on with it.

As for the Bitdefender message that came up on shutting down, I believe I have got rid of it from both mine and my husbands PCs. A quick search on the net revealed that it could well be a problem with SpyBot. I uninstalled it from my PC with no problems but interestingly my husband had some problems and had to call on me to do it for him. He kept getting a message come up and it turned out it was the same message that appeared on shutting down which pretty much sealed SpyBot as the cause. Anyway I removed SpyBot for him and so far he's not had it appear again during shutdown although it is still early as he says he only got it appearing perhaps twice per month.

Regarding the Tunebyte driver it looks like it was a driver installed with Audials so since I rarely use it I uninstalled it. Its really just a matter of waiting and seeing what happens if anything after taking the above action. Hopefully I'll be OK now. Again thank you very much for your assistance.

Tracey

TraceyW, Oct 26, 2017
  11. philc43 Win User
    You are welcome! Hope it continues to be free of any BSOD but if not just post a new set of files and we can look again.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap on Boot-up - Similar Threads - Unexpected Kernal Mode

2. BSOD Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap: After a Windows Update, I am having BSOD Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap. I've tried a few fixes I found on here for this, but none of them have helped. It doesn't seem to be a memory issue no matter how many times I run SFC /Scannow.I fully updated BIOS after working through...
  3. BSOD Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap: After a Windows Update, I am having BSOD Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap. I've tried a few fixes I found on here for this, but none of them have helped. It doesn't seem to be a memory issue no matter how many times I run SFC /Scannow.I fully updated BIOS after working through...
  4. BSOD Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap: After a recent Windows Update, I am having BSOD Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap. I've tried a few fixes I found on here for this, but none of them have helped. It doesn't seem to be a memory issue no matter how many times I run SFC /Scannow. It is starting to get worse, a few...
  5. BSOD Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap: After a recent Windows Update, I am having BSOD Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap. I've tried a few fixes I found on here for this, but none of them have helped. It doesn't seem to be a memory issue no matter how many times I run SFC /Scannow. It is starting to get worse, a few...
  6. Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap problems: I have been experiencing Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap BSOD when gaming. After becoming frustrated I did a fresh install of Windows 10 64 bit. I re-seated all my hardware except the CPU itself. I ran CHKDSK on all my drives. I ran the memory diagnostic. I have updated every...
  7. Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap

Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap: My computer crashes twice a day. I get the "Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap" stop code every time. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unexpected-kernal-mode-trap/b1837d27-36b7-4c3e-b3df-d68869c23c78
  8. UNEXPECTED KERNAL MODE TRAP

in Windows 10 Customization
    UNEXPECTED KERNAL MODE TRAP: My PC is hanging when booting up and the following message is displayed: UNEXPECTED KERNAL MODE TRAP Then the display freezes. What could be causing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unexpected-kernal-mode-trap/5fe31e2e-702c-4560-a637-2d1c0c0a4446
  9. Blue Screen - Unexpected Kernal mode trap

Blue Screen - Unexpected Kernal mode trap: I have Windows 10 Pro, Version 1803, OS build 17134.1; Whenever, I click on my 6D Software ICON to start the program, I get the blue screen with unexpected kernel mode trap. I was one of those who started with Windows 7 and accepted the free upgrade to Windows 10. I...
  10. BSOD - Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap + Others

BSOD - Unexpected Kernal Mode Trap + Others: Hello all, Have been having this BSOD just about two months now. I really only BSOD when I am gaming. I have noticed that I get multiple different error messages with the post title being the most recent, but all relate ntoskrnl.exe (thanks to BlueScreenView). From what I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kernel mode trap on bootup