Windows 10: Unexplained disk space usage

Discus and support Unexplained disk space usage in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I got a new Dell laptop with 120GB SSD, and I installed Windows 10 on it. After installation I had 90GB free space, and that seemed normal because I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aleksakojadinov, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Unexplained disk space usage

So I got a new Dell laptop with 120GB SSD, and I installed Windows 10 on it. After installation I had 90GB free space, and that seemed normal because I thought it needed space for all the system files. Then I installed Visual Studio and some minor programs and I was at 70GB. I though it wasn't a big deal yet. Then I installed a few more minor programs, none of which exceeded 5GB in total, and now I'm at 49GB free space. That's when I started worrying something might be wrong. I asked some tech guy I know about it and he said that Windows 10 saves backups of files or something and that I need clear temp files or something. I didn't quite understand him, so I'm posting here in case someone else knows what to do.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

:)

aleksakojadinov, Apr 1, 2016

2. Unexplained Disk Space Increase

Thanks man. I should have paid more attention to the terminology.

Regarding the problem i have seen it with hidden files also but it is nowhere near the 400 gb mark.
    Unexplained disk space usage [​IMG]

SahajBhalla, Apr 1, 2016
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Unexplained Disk Space Increase

First, please note that the term "memory" is used to refer to the place where the computer holds the program and data it is working with at the moment. It's normally random access memory (RAM), but that can be extended with the page or
    swap file on the hard disk. The word "memory" is never used to refer to the space on a drive (whether that's a hard drive, SSD, diskette, CD, DVD, or thumb drive). Space on a disk drive is normally called "storage" or simply "disk space."

Calling disk space "memory" isn't so much wrong as just unconventional. In a sense, disk space is, of course, memory, but the important thing to realize is that the word is never used that way, and if you do so, you do it at the risk of seriously confusing
    your audience.

Regarding the amount of disk space you have in use, first be sure you don't have files hidden
    (see How to Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows 7, 8, or 10), then
    please post a screen shot of the C: drive in "This PC."

Ken Blake, Apr 1, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Unexplained disk space usage

Check your shadowstorage. Use this command in an elevated command prompt

vssadmin list shadowstorage

If it is quasi zero, then we are on the wrong track.

5. It says 'no items found that satisfy the query'

aleksakojadinov, Apr 1, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    That is a bit strange, but so be it. And you are sure you used admin mode.

7. AndreTen Win User
    You can check first, where your disk space is.
    You can do it with Settings/System then pick Storage and click on C: drive
    You will get list like this, which you can explore further.
    For more detailed view, use third party program like treesize free or similar.

AndreTen, Apr 1, 2016
  8. Unexplained disk space usage

I guess I forgot to mention that I also installed Windows 8 and then upgraded to Windows 10.
    Turns out it was keeping 26.5GB of temporary files as previous versions. Deleted those, seems fine now.
    Thanks anyway

aleksakojadinov, Apr 2, 2016
  9. mrgeek Win User

If this was the Windows.old file which the Upgrade created to back up your Win8 state, you can no longer roll back to 8, so it's 10 for good now.*Party

mrgeek, Apr 2, 2016
  10. Archie123 Win User
Thema:

Unexplained disk space usage

1. Unexplained disk space usage - Similar Threads - Unexplained disk space

2. Unexplained Disappearance of Disk Space After Game Updates: Seeking Assistance and Solutions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unexplained Disappearance of Disk Space After Game Updates: Seeking Assistance and Solutions: Hello,I am addressing an issue that occurred on my computer after updating several games. Today, a system notification suddenly appeared indicating a lack of space on the C drive, which surprised me. Typically, I maintain about 20 gigabytes of free space on this drive, so...
  3. Unexplained Disappearance of Disk Space After Game Updates: Seeking Assistance and Solutions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unexplained Disappearance of Disk Space After Game Updates: Seeking Assistance and Solutions: Hello,I am addressing an issue that occurred on my computer after updating several games. Today, a system notification suddenly appeared indicating a lack of space on the C drive, which surprised me. Typically, I maintain about 20 gigabytes of free space on this drive, so...
  4. Unexplained Disappearance of Disk Space After Game Updates: Seeking Assistance and Solutions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. High CPU & Disk Space Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU & Disk Space Usage: Hello Microsoft Community.Hoping to get some help to troubleshoot some issues I've had with my laptop for a while now.Primary pain point is that the computer boots and runs extremely slowly. This has been the case for a long time. CPU and/or Disk tend to run at 100%. I'm...
  6. High CPU & Disk Space Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High CPU & Disk Space Usage: Hello Microsoft Community.Hoping to get some help to troubleshoot some issues I've had with my laptop for a while now.Primary pain point is that the computer boots and runs extremely slowly. This has been the case for a long time. CPU and/or Disk tend to run at 100%. I'm...
  7. High CPU & Disk Space Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Unexplained high memory usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unexplained high memory usage: I'm using a laptop with Windows 10 and 8 GBs of RAM. Whenever I go into task manager, memory usage is usually around 80%, despite the processes themselves only taking up around 2GB or around 25%. I've searched the internet for help and done things like disabling Sysmain,...
  9. CPU usage unexplained high

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU usage unexplained high: Yesterday updated system via Windows update , just normal security monthly , and cumulative updates , and today turned system on . Task manager has unexpectedly showing cpu useage at very high levels 100%. Normally CPU usage at 5% with No more than normal programs opened ....
  10. Disk space usage, is this really necessary?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk space usage, is this really necessary?: So being a persistent fiddler I was poking around with Treesize (a very useful little utility) and came across the following. I have 1 HDD, the Windows partition is 439Gb in size with 27.8Gb in use. When I set this up it was a clean install of 1903 (the .295 version), I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unexplained disk space usage windows 10

2. unexplained disk space usage