Windows 10: Unexplained overwriting half my document files

Discus and support Unexplained overwriting half my document files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I suddenly lost most of my document-type files. Recuva Pro showed only half of 24K files were recoverable. These were primarily from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NBNorth, May 6, 2018.

1. NBNorth Win User

Unexplained overwriting half my document files

I suddenly lost most of my document-type files. Recuva Pro showed only half of 24K files were recoverable. These were primarily from \username\onedrive\..., so I can recover from the cloud. But several compromised file were in C\?\, \Program files, \username\app data, \username\application data\, downloads, and such. So I know I have serious damage to my hard drive contents. It is obvious that I need to restore my computer to factory condition. Yesterday morning everything looked just fine. But last evening?!

My dilemma is that this is a 3-month old laptop from a respected manufacturer, and I'm at a loss as to how this may have been triggered.

I have been using Windows for nearly 20 years, so I'm not a neophyte. In your members experience, could this possibly be a hardware problem? Or more likely a system or application software issue? Or some malware?

I don't expect anyone to spend much time pondering this. I'm thankful for ideas on preventing recurrence.

:)

NBNorth, May 6, 2018
Thema:

Unexplained overwriting half my document files

1. Unexplained overwriting half my document files - Similar Threads - Unexplained overwriting half

2. onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file: I have a chat app that stores its history in a database, which is located in some folder that managed by onedrive. but a couple of days ago, onedrive have had some issues with syncing, today I reset it via onedrive.exe /reset, then it started syncing files.after reset,...
  3. Unexplained self created files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unexplained self created files: Hi folks, Can anyone explain why these files keeps popping up even after they are deleted? They are not "hidden" files. Antivirus did not detected anything but they are pretty annoying as I have them in my business folder. My windows 10 crash regularly even after...
  4. Unexplained self created files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unexplained self created files: Hi folks, Can anyone explain why these files keeps popping up even after they are deleted? They are not "hidden" files. Antivirus did not detected anything but they are pretty annoying as I have them in my business folder. My windows 10 crash regularly even after...
  5. Unexplained self created files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. COOL Ransomware and the file overwrite my onedrive files

COOL Ransomware and the file overwrite my onedrive files: Greetings, Recently my computer was hit by cool ransomware and encrypt all of my files. I was shocked that my onedrive keep syncing those file and overwrite the backups.Is there any way to restore it? Thank you...
  7. Onedrive overwrites newer files

Onedrive overwrites newer files: Somehow after a while onedrive started working on my surface and laptop and it overwrote newer files including several excel spreadsheets. I was under the impression that files would not be overwrote if newer files existed....
  8. Copy file from download to documents does not prompt to overwrite file, instead creates...

Copy file from download to documents does not prompt to overwrite file, instead creates...: This is really annoying -- for some reason, when I copy a file that was downloaded to my downloads folder to a location in My Documents (inside My Games folder), it does NOT ask if I want to overwrite the existing file (which is what I want). Instead it creates a file with...
  9. Document View is Only Half Screen

Document View is Only Half Screen: I Dropped My Mouse While working on a Document And It Went to Half Screen How Do I Get It Back To Whole? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/document-view-is-only-half-screen/debc72b0-7c0c-4d09-b320-48615c5aca1f"
  10. Updates always overwrite my personalized desktop.ini files

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates always overwrite my personalized desktop.ini files: Is there any way I can prevent windows updates from overwriting my desktop.ini files? it happens every time, and i'm tired of having to change them back. (i'm talking specifically about the folders for desktop, documents, downloads, music, videos. Windows update continually...