Windows 10: Unexplained Restored Windows 7 Home Premium

Discus and support Unexplained Restored Windows 7 Home Premium in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a laptop, ACER Aspire 5253 that belongs to my Grandpa. He was running the free upgrade to Windows 10 just fine. He called me to come help him... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jamocha64, Nov 25, 2016.

1. jamocha64 Win User

Unexplained Restored Windows 7 Home Premium

I have a laptop, ACER Aspire 5253 that belongs to my Grandpa. He was running the free upgrade to Windows 10 just fine. He called me to come help him because something had gone "crazy" on his computer and he didn't understand. When I got there, I see that the computer had "restored to windows 7 home premium". He says all that he did was turn it on in the morning and it asked him questions about Windows 7 and he just pushed a few keys and then he thought "oh no, I better call for help".

So I have looked through the entire computer and I see no restore points. I see his user profiles but his user files and documents are not the current versions.

Any thoughts on what is causing Windows 10 to restore back to the original operating system? I also see that there is no operating system licenses now. This is a good Laptop and was brand new for him when it was purchased a few years ago. I have him looking for any cd's etc. that may have come with this unit. Of course, he had not backed up his files in a very long time. I am just heart broken for he had just written his 3rd book and quite possibly lost his writings.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks

:)

jamocha64, Nov 25, 2016

2. Restore windows 7 from the free upgrade to windows 10

I was running windows 7 home premium. I upgraded to windows 10. If I restore back to windows 7 , will I still be able to upgrade to windows 10 ? The free upgrade to which I was entitled.

ClaytonRobertson Jr, Nov 25, 2016
  3. Why no Windows 10 Home Premium?

Because there is no Home Premium edition of Windows 10 Home.

With each version of Windows Microsoft changes the SKU naming scheme.

Windows XP Home > Windows Vista Home Premium > Windows 7 Home Premium > Windows 8 Core > Windows 10 Home

The base functionality in Windows 10 Home is just the same as Windows 7 Home Premium.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Maybe the original manufacturer's recovery partition was still present, and somehow the process of restoring the PC to 'as bought' was started. Recovery of anything under those circumstances could only be undertaken by an expensive professional firm, I would think.

It's so sad and unnecessary to lose important data. We strongly and repeatedly recommend the routine use of disk imaging (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) and its boot medium and external storage.

This means you can recover from a failed hard disk, ransomware, an unbootable PC... probably without technical help. The images also act as a backup from which you can extract files.

Supplement that with a good more frequent backup routine for critical data if necessary.

System Restore is entirely irrelevant in this circumstance (it only protects drivers, registry, system files... never user data) - quite limited. And the original restore points applied to Win 10- so don't exist any more.

dalchina, Nov 25, 2016
  5. Yeah, it sounds like it did a factory recovery. Hard to say why though? If it was upgraded to Windows 10 and activated with a digital license, you can just upgrade again, or do a clean install of Windows 10. System restore points are wiped/erased when you upgrade to Windows 10, or do a go back to the original OS. The go back option is only available for 30 days after doing the free upgrade so it must have been a factory recovery to the OOBE, Out Of the Box Experience. That's my best guess anyway.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unexplained Restored Windows 7 Home Premium - Similar Threads - Unexplained Restored Home

2. Windows 7 Home Premium

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Home Premium: I have a license for Windows 7 Home Premium. Can I install it now and then upgrade to Windows 10 for free? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-home-premium/c0fb9515-29cd-4baa-beba-cf1f6047ec61
  3. Windows 7 Home Premium

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 Home Premium: I have a license for Windows 7 Home Premium. Can I install it now and then upgrade to Windows 10 for free? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-home-premium/c0fb9515-29cd-4baa-beba-cf1f6047ec61
  4. windows 7 home premium not update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 7 home premium not update: hi i have windows 7 home premium 64 bit windows in my computer. i try to update but i can not update. how can i solve it. thank you_ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-home-premium-not-update/0156792a-c769-42d2-8bff-eec2dec76a53
  5. windows 7 home premium not update

windows 7 home premium not update: hi i have windows 7 home premium 64 bit windows in my computer. i try to update but i can not update. how can i solve it. thank you_ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-home-premium-not-update/0156792a-c769-42d2-8bff-eec2dec76a53
  6. Windows 7 Home Premium activation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Home Premium activation: Hi,today I installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my old laptop after previously having Linux Ubuntu on it and I am having trouble activating it. It came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed and I located product key but when I try to activating it with that product key I...
  7. Windows 7 Home Premium activation

Windows 7 Home Premium activation: Hi,today I installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my old laptop after previously having Linux Ubuntu on it and I am having trouble activating it. It came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed and I located product key but when I try to activating it with that product key I...
  8. Windows 7 Home premium installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Home premium installation: Hello,Could you please share the link to the Windows 7 Home premium installation? I'm trying to reset Dad's old notebook which has a Windows 7 license.Thanks,Milosh...
  9. Windows 7 Home premium installation

Windows 7 Home premium installation: Hello,Could you please share the link to the Windows 7 Home premium installation? I'm trying to reset Dad's old notebook which has a Windows 7 license.Thanks,Milosh...
  10. Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home: I have a MacBook Pro, and i originally partitioned the hard drive to 350 Mac & 150 Win 7. Not long ago i received a free upgrade to Win 10 Home, and after using it for a few months, i really liked it and decided to re-partition my hard drive to 250 Mac & 250 Win 10. After...