Windows 10: Unidentified Network on Windows 10 Laptop

Discus and support Unidentified Network on Windows 10 Laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I don't know much about computers yet, and i'm in a bit of a pickle. I upgraded my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 with the free upgrade that came... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tkendall66, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Unidentified Network on Windows 10 Laptop

I don't know much about computers yet, and i'm in a bit of a pickle. I upgraded my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 with the free upgrade that came out a while back. I recently bought an Ethernet cord to enhance my gaming performance, but when I plug it in it says identifying for a little while then says unidentified network no Internet. My friend came over and tried it on his laptop and it worked for his Windows 8.1 . I have a Comcast router/modem combo and have it hooked to a western digital router which is what the Ethernet cord is run from.

:)

tkendall66, Dec 6, 2015
  2. Saikat22 Win User

LAN - Unidentified Network (No Network Access)

LAN - Unidentified Network (No Network Access) .
    I connect to laptop through wired connection, i have windows 10 and another running with windows 7. I get the message in network profile "Unidentified Network ".

how i can solve this problem.

Saikat22, Dec 6, 2015
  3. Unidentified network (Ethernet connection)

Good Day My name is and i will be happy to assist you: Please try these additional resources that might assist you: How to fix Unidentified Network in Windows 10/8/7 or Unidentified network- No internet Access Ethernet Win 10 - [Solved] - Windows 10
    or Unidentified network - No Internet access - Windows 10 Forums or Unidentified network on Windows 10 & 7 [Fixed] - Driver Easy or How to fix 'Unidentified Network' error on Windows 10 • Pureinfotech If these
    options did not work i suggest downloading intel or Realtek LAN Drivers Here: Intel Network Drivers Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10 Or Realtek Network Drivers Realtek
    I do hope this helps. Please do let me know if it worked or not so i can continue to assist. Kind Regards

Phillip Roos, Dec 6, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Unidentified Network on Windows 10 Laptop

Pictures help. Your computer is probably picking up the Comcast Hotspot that they have enabled on their gateway.

bro67, Dec 6, 2015
  5. sml156 Win User
    What is the model number of Ethernet card is it, and who is the manufacturer. I had one Ethernet card and I had to go to the website of the chipset manufacturer, If it's a TP-link I might be able to help you

sml156, Dec 6, 2015
  6. bro67 Win User
    The problem has nothing to do with the network card. Their problem is that they are seeing the second A/P on the Gateway that goes by Xfinity/Cablewifi.

You also have cases went your wifi will pick up the local utilities backhauls for meters, which have a hidden SSID and are always on Channel 11.

bro67, Dec 6, 2015
  7. You may need drivers for your ethernet card, I have no idea why the Wi-Fi is being discussed. What is the make and model of the laptop?

nigelmercier, Dec 6, 2015
  8. bro67 Win User

He does not need srivers for the card. As I have stated twice already. They are seeing the Public hotspot on their gateway as the other network. It is a flaw in the firmware for the gateway that is doing that.

bro67, Dec 6, 2015
  9. Vaio 7 Win User
    Unidentified network message with ipv4 address 169.xxx.xx.xx which is known as APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing), occurs when DHCP fails to deliver or assign ip address to device. When a DHCP server fails, APIPA allocates IP addresses in the private range 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254. Clients verify their address is unique on the network using ARP. When the DHCP server is again able to service requests, clients update their addresses automatically.
    At first, try to update via Device Manager, you ethernet adapter s/w, if the issue persists then it's something related to your ISP.
    Also under ipv4/v6 properties check the options "obtain IP address automatically and obtain DNS automatically.
    Hope this helps,

Vaio 7, Dec 6, 2015
  10. There is a wired hotspot? I think not!

nigelmercier, Dec 7, 2015
  11. bro67 Win User
    How in the world did you gather that from a one post poster, who has not responded, and you just pulled that out of the air.

That is not what the OP is talking about. You and everyone else needs to stop guessing and wait to see if the OP even comes back.

bro67, Dec 7, 2015
  12. And some people should read the question!

13. bro67 Win User

Really. Never knew that, even though I know what the eMTA that Comcast and TWC are issuing, have a Public Hotspot that broadcasts as Xfinity/CableWiFI, besides their own personal locked down Hotspot.

There is no wired hotspot in the eMTA's. You have the 4 port switch, a Wireless Access Point for your own use, a Digital phone connection, and Comcast has the ability of enabling their own private for paying customers Public Hotspot that goes by "Xfinity/CableWifi".

As for the OP issue. No telling until they come back to answer, if they even decide to come back.

bro67, Dec 7, 2015
  14. No, of course not. You keep saying the OP's problem is due to a hotspot, when he made it clear he is using a wired connection.

15. Vaio 7 Win User
    From OP's initial post: "it says identifying for a little while then says unidentified network no Internet".

I
    have read the initial post, no doubt, it says UNIDENTIFIED NETWORK, unless I'm blind. Now if you think that DHCP is not involved in this issue, no problem.... it could be as simple as a misconfigured DHCP setting on the edge router or DHCP disabled. Could be also a more complex issue, that's why I've suggested to update ethernet drivers to exclude this, if that's not the case. When I have set, my W7/W10 x64 Pro dual boot system, I've discovered, to my surprise, that I had connectivity on W 10 side but unidentified network on W 7 side. The solution was as simple, as updating Ethernet & Wireless s/w on W7, then immediately Internet connectivity was restored. My guess is that W 10, during dual booting setup, induced "something" on the system... Of course, this in unrelated to OP's issue because he has not a dual-boot config.

@ Bro67,
    Do not attempt to dictate your opinion, which is also questionnable, by the way, or say what others should say or not OK????
    That said, I'm not here to argue, if you think you know things better, (lol), then, good luck with the rest of the troubleshooting.... I have much more important things to do.

Vaio 7, Dec 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Unidentified Network on Windows 10 Laptop - Similar Threads - Unidentified Network Laptop

2. Network unidentified network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network unidentified network: I have my router connected to my modem and my windows 10 computer connected to my router to use internet. Everything works fine. Now, why is it when i connect my computer directly to the modem I get “unidentified network, no internet”. shouldn’t I be able to get internet...
  3. Windows 10, Unidentified network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10, Unidentified network: Unidentified network No Internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-unidentified-network/70ab6f01-0408-411e-ab1d-d1226196b758
  4. Windows 10, Unidentified network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10, Unidentified network: Unidentified network No Internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-unidentified-network/70ab6f01-0408-411e-ab1d-d1226196b758
  5. Windows 10, Unidentified network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Unidentified network

Unidentified network: Hi Team,We have done Clean boot OS installation from windows 7 to windows 10. After OS upgrade the ethernet connection shows "Unidentified network". I have tried below steps,1. Network reset2. Device driver remove and re-install3. Executed below commands in command prompt and...
  7. Unidentified network

Unidentified network: My Windows 10 computer keeps connecting to an unidentified network. How can I stop and prevent this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unidentified-network/7e04abcb-a803-429b-9103-e1168dc84db9
  8. Unidentified network

Unidentified network: If anyone could help me solve this problem it would be terrific! I've had this problem for the last 1 and a half weeks, I need an Ethernet connection to play video games, and when it doesn't work it can be quite frustrating. I've have tried all of the so called solutions on...
  9. unidentified network

unidentified network: I am doing a fresh install of windows 10, I install all the drivers from Dell support drivers & software 64bit. After install i get unidentified network, no internet. I connect via Ethernet. Then after a couple updates it finally connects me to my network and gives me...
  10. Unidentified network

Unidentified network: Hi, my network connection shows as Unidentified but with Internet access. See screenshot below: Also my connection drops frequently and have to reconnect it again. 4089