Windows 10: Uninstall Cortana and any associated programs permanently

Discus and support Uninstall Cortana and any associated programs permanently in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My goal is to make a Windows 10 install as free of any internet chatter in the background or foreground of Windows 10. In another thread I successfully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by loninappleton, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Uninstall Cortana and any associated programs permanently

My goal is to make a Windows 10 install as free of any internet chatter in the background or foreground of Windows 10. In another thread I successfully had help removing Internet Explorer. Cortana is another tool
    in the Windows 10 shell (rather than Classic Shell-- but another issue) which I found does almost nothing
    but dial out to the internet.

My first hit on looking for answers was this:

Can I completely disable Cortana on Windows 10? - Super User

Superuser is a trusted site but that thread is closed and I have to read it more carefully.
    In the piece they mention the term 'respawn' which was new to me. Can anyone explain? Also
    there is mention and a screen shot of the OO program called Shut Up. OO Shut up was mentioned in my
    effort to get rid of Internet Explorer.

A couple of techniques are mentioned and I don't know a best one-- one of which is a registry edit
    which I am always cautious about doing-- Let's face it, I don't recall ever getting one right that
    didn't cause me to wipe a drive.

In the screen shot at Superuser of OO Shut Up activity is shown not in Cortana but in Microsoft Edge.
    That looks like another thing to remove since I don't know what it is.

:)

loninappleton, Aug 31, 2018

2. How do you uninstall chipset drivers?

I'm installing a new mobo so I need to uninstall the intel 865g drivers to make way for the P35 drivers.

Can't find any uninstall options in add/remove programs and intel chipset inst listed in driver cleaner.

Any suggestions? *Confused Uninstall Cortana and any associated programs permanently :confused:

oli_ramsay, Aug 31, 2018
  3. can't uninstall program

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I appreciate your effort in resolving this issue.

- Did you try un-installing the program from programs and features?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Repairing or removing programs

To uninstall programs, go to Settings.
    • On the Start menu, then select Settings.
    • Select System > Apps & features.
    • Select the program, then select Uninstall. Some apps that are built in to Windows can’t be uninstalled.
    • Follow the directions on the screen.
    If you are still unable to uninstall the program, follow the steps below.

• In Search, enter Control Panel and select Control Panel.
    • Select Programs > Programs and Features, then select the program.
    • Select the program, then select Uninstall. Some apps that are built in to Windows can’t be uninstalled.
    • Follow the directions on the screen.

Let us know the status.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Aug 31, 2018
  4. Uninstall Cortana and any associated programs permanently

Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Aug 31, 2018
Thema:

Uninstall Cortana and any associated programs permanently

1. Uninstall Cortana and any associated programs permanently - Similar Threads - Uninstall Cortana associated

2. uninstall cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    uninstall cortana: how do i uninstall cortana in win 10 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-cortana/75d0f616-0d9e-460a-afe8-22bc67539560
  3. uninstall cortana

uninstall cortana: I want to uninstall cortana https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-cortana/0d935ff5-d3cd-4f3c-8f4a-662c4024963d
  4. uninstall updates permanently

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    uninstall updates permanently: Hello Daniela here i have windows 10 my pc is only 5 months old was working great and since the update happed on Wednesday evening 9th everything has slowed down i work on ebay and other platforms and wednesday night i was prompt to update and shutdown or update and restart...
  5. Uninstall a program without any program files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Uninstall a program without any program files: I accidentally and unintentionally installed an adware called MusiCalm. I directly deleted the program files located in users/Edward/appdata/roaming, without going into the windows program list and uninstalling it there. Now, I can't remove it from my programs list, and every...
  6. Associate a Program

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Associate a Program: I have Ashampoo Burning Studio. When I had this program in my Win 7 O/S, I would insert the blank disk and I would get a menu asking which program I would like to use. when I installed Windows 10, I no longer get the menu. Instead I get a Message stating - "This file...
  7. Can't uninstall program ''File does not have a program associated with it''

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't uninstall program ''File does not have a program associated with it'': I want to uninstall some programs but I can't because when I try I get the ''this file is not associated with a program to perform the action'' and I don't know how to fix it. Should I download an uninstaller program? Please help x...
  8. File Association to Programs

File Association to Programs: Hello, Some programs on the pc were not installed with the installer - they are portable zip files, I unziped them into a folder, made a shortcut to the desktop and they work fine for me. They are not listed in the 'installed programs' list. I am trying to associate...
  9. Removing Cortana permanently?

Removing Cortana permanently?: Is it true that there is no way to permanently remove Cortana in W10 home so it does not run in the background or report back to MS? I've searched the web, taken possession of the searchui file and disabled it, but task manager shows it restarting and running in the...
  10. This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

in Microsoft Office and 365
    This is How to permanently Disable Cortana: This is how to permanently disable Cortana, first start into safe mode and navigate to C:/Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy you will need to Take Ownership of the Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy folder and then delete the file SearchUI.exe. If...