Windows 10: Uninstalled Avast, but it still shuts down Windows Defender

Discus and support Uninstalled Avast, but it still shuts down Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've been experimenting with various AV programs. I had installed Avast (free) as a trial, then decided to uninstall it. I used iobit uninstaller. Then... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mr Ed, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Mr Ed Win User

Uninstalled Avast, but it still shuts down Windows Defender

I've been experimenting with various AV programs. I had installed Avast (free) as a trial, then decided to uninstall it. I used iobit uninstaller. Then I wanted to make sure WD was back in operation but saw the message that Avast was still in control. What can I do to get WD back into normal operation? Does it require going into the registry, which I'd like to avoid? There must be a vestige of Avast left over.

I use Revo uninstaller on my other laptop. Revo vs iobit...are both equally good or is one better, in your opinion?
    BTW, I think Avast is a good program; I'm just experimenting.

:)

Mr Ed, Jul 29, 2018
  2. Sutado Win User

Uninstalled Avast to use Windows Defender, tells me to uninstall Avast...

So I had Avast on my computer as my anti-virus program, and was really annoyed at the pop-ups I'd constantly get, so I uninstalled it, and decided to use Windows Defender.

I tried to turn on real time protection, but it tells me uninstall Avast first....I not only uninstalled avast, but I deleted it's remnants from where it was kept in my hard drive.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks!

~

Sutado, Jul 29, 2018
  3. How do I remove Avast so I can use Windows Defender?

These are the instructions provided by avast.

After removal of the third party anti-virus, Windows 8/10 Defender needs to be
    activated if you choose to use it. When uninstalling the third-party anti-virus Defender should automatically turn on. In some cases you may receive a

message indicating your system has no protection...click here to turn on Windows Defender. If not, and Defender remains disabled, you will need to manually turn it on.

quietman7 - MVP, Jul 29, 2018
  4. Uninstalled Avast, but it still shuts down Windows Defender

Protecting the computer (windows defender,avast, etc)?

Agreed with Firefox w/ Adblock Plus and NoScript. I suggest Antivir. Very trustworthy Antivirus and is less resource hogging the avast. Takes up about 40mb with guard enabled and 30mb with guard disabled.

spearman914, Jul 29, 2018
Thema:

Uninstalled Avast, but it still shuts down Windows Defender

1. Uninstalled Avast, but it still shuts down Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Uninstalled Avast still

2. Windows Defender Antivirus shutting down

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Antivirus shutting down: Whenever I start a scan on my pc windows defender works fine at first but then as it takes up more than 90% of my CPU usage it crashes and says the last scan is not available. It has been doing this for a while and I do not have any other antiviruses installed. I used...
  3. Windows Defender Keeps Shutting Down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Defender Keeps Shutting Down: Whenever I try to run a full system scan windows defender shuts down before it can get very far. Is there a way to fix this? My laptop was updated last night....
  4. Avast/Windows Defender

Avast/Windows Defender: Good afternoon and Happy New Year! I have gotten tired of Avast Antivirus and uninstalled it so I can go to Windows Defender. Guess Avast did not give me a clean uninstall through my Control Panel and left something on my laptop. Windows Security/Defender now show I have...
  5. NEED TO UNINSTALL AVAST BUT ...

NEED TO UNINSTALL AVAST BUT ...: I read your Q&A regarding this issue. Have tried and uninstall Avast, but now it is BACK! Now you say I am to download avast-clear from AVAST!?! Will it not install other undeletable issues on my computer?!...
  6. Windows Defender shuts down

Windows Defender shuts down: For some reason, yesterday and again today, Defender has turned OFF for no reason and I can't get it restarted without a restart. Then it will seem to start normally only to shut down shortly thereafter. The only change to my PC was been a Windows auto update KB4549951...
  7. Windows defender shutting everything down

Windows defender shutting everything down: All of a sudden my computer is shutting everything down in the middle of me working and window defender says i have a virus but will not download what am i supposed to do...
  8. How to Uninstall Avast?

How to Uninstall Avast?: I can not uninstall avast free antivirus software [Original Title: unsalling] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-uninstall-avast/068290b9-8558-4e42-9067-8c1cb2809174
  9. Avast update still appears after uninstall

Avast update still appears after uninstall: I uninstalled Avast Free Anti-Virus, although for some reason every time I boot up my computer, it still gives me the notification that Avast is still installed, but not up-to-date and not protecting my PC. This is not the first time I have encountered this glitch, I had...
  10. Defender shut down

Defender shut down: I have a Asus x75vc Notebook LapTop WIN8, upgraded to Windows 10 Home, and the W.Defender has turned itself off. Is it supposed to be like that? Pandasecurity is the antivirus-program running on the laptop. . 28444

Users found this page by searching for:

1. uninstalled avast but still on pc

2. avast uninstall deleted windows defender

3. windows defender is still thinks i have antivirus but it is uninstalled

4. i unistaled updeas and yet windows defender wont stay on 2019,
  5. avast antivirus is being uninstalled do not shut down your computer,
  6. i deleted and uninstalled avast but says still installing when shutdown