Windows 10: Uninstalling Specific Apps for All Users

Discus and support Uninstalling Specific Apps for All Users in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey guys, I am interested in setting up some company-wide commands to remove a lot of the built-in crap from Windows 10. Employees don't need to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by drfsupercenter, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Uninstalling Specific Apps for All Users

Hey guys,

I am interested in setting up some company-wide commands to remove a lot of the built-in crap from Windows 10. Employees don't need to be using the Xbox app, and we don't need Get Office, Get Skype etc as we already have those installed using the administrator account before the user logs in.

I was looking at Brink's useful tutorial here, and the option that would pertain to this is "To uninstall all Windows apps for only new added accounts afterwards"

I notice that uses Get-AppXProvisionedPackages instead of just Get-AppxPackage.

The thing is, I don't want to remove *all* the apps, some of them are actually useful, such as the photo gallery and calculator. I'd rather specify them manually...

I did some tinkering around with Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage, but cannot get it to work. I get errors similar to this:

Uninstalling Specific Apps for All Users [​IMG]

Can somebody help me do this? Or is it simply not possible in Windows 10? I know there was a way to do it in 8 and 8.1, as I found some TechNet blog articles about it, with examples.

Related question: can PowerShell commands be deployed over Group Policy? I know you can do cmd ones, and we already have a cmd file that's executed when the user logs on for the first time.
    If not, I can just make a note to do it using the admin account before joining the domain.

:)

drfsupercenter, Aug 27, 2015

2. Uninstalling Win 10 apps from ALL users

Hello!

I’ve been using Remove-AppxPackage command in a script to uninstall unnecessary Windows apps from our business computers. It was successful so far, or so I thought. Recently I found almost 3 GB folder with
    Asphalt 8 Airborne game on a computer that I ran uninstall for every user that has a profile on it.

Now when I run Get-AppxPackage -user for every user, I don’t see the package listed, but if I run
    Get-AppxPackage -allusers, I can see the game plus bunch of other games and other apps that I thought I removed. Checked
    WindowsApps folder and there they are.

I tried drastic measures by taking ownership of game folders, but I cannot delete any files or folders there. Besides, I and probably many others want to have scriptable way to uninstall apps and cleanup
    WindowsApps folder.

I like Win 10, snappy and reliable so far, runs well even on 10 years old computers. But we need to run a business and I don’t want my users to see anything that will distract them or will lead to unnecessary support calls. I’d prefer to have an ability
    to write group policy with approved win apps and nothing else gets installed. If Microsoft wants wider adoption of Win 10 in business, they should do it. Maybe it exists in Win 10 Ent, but SMB cannot afford that.

All done on Win 10 Pro 1703, Windows domain environment.

Regards

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Igor K_673, Aug 27, 2015
  3. Uninstalling Win 10 apps from ALL users

Hi Igor,

Thank you for sharing this to the community. Have you already tried to perform a disk clean up? Normally, this method can resolve this issue. You can check and review the process from our support site on this
    link.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Uninstalling Specific Apps for All Users

Brink, Aug 27, 2015
  5. Ah, OK. I was thinking you needed that -online flag...

I also found this via some searching:
    Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*officehub*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

That seems to work too.

Question about the package names: do they change based on hardware or is it always the same? If the packages get new versions as they get updated, it might be safer to search for it, no?

drfsupercenter, Aug 27, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The package name is based on the app itself. Usually, it'll stay the same for the app after updates though.

Brink, Aug 27, 2015
  7. Is there any harm in using the search method though?

Also, is there an equivalent to a .bat file for PowerShell commands? I know you can save it as a certain type of script, but then that has to be imported and it's a bit of a pain.

Edit: never mind. I found out how to deploy a PowerShell script over Group Policy.

drfsupercenter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Uninstalling Specific Apps for All Users

1. Uninstalling Specific Apps for All Users - Similar Threads - Uninstalling Specific Apps

2. Install App for specific user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install App for specific user: Hi, I have recently switched to Windows 11 as it seems inevitable anyways. I have created a private userfor all my private browsing, coding gaming stuff, and another user for everything I do in University.Since I have some apps that I only use for Uni and do not want to see...
  3. Install App for specific user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install App for specific user: Hi, I have recently switched to Windows 11 as it seems inevitable anyways. I have created a private userfor all my private browsing, coding gaming stuff, and another user for everything I do in University.Since I have some apps that I only use for Uni and do not want to see...
  4. In windows 10 I want to uninstall all apps for all Domin user's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In windows 10 I want to uninstall all apps for all Domin user's: Hi team,In windows 10 I want to uninstall all apps for all Domin user's.I tried with a script it was uninstalled all apps in Administrator.Now the issue with domain user's are logged in there are getting all apps.How to control it please help meRegards,Sharan...
  5. In windows 10 I want to uninstall all apps for all Domin user's

In windows 10 I want to uninstall all apps for all Domin user's: Hi team,In windows 10 I want to uninstall all apps for all Domin user's.I tried with a script it was uninstalled all apps in Administrator.Now the issue with domain user's are logged in there are getting all apps.How to control it please help meRegards,Sharan...
  6. User Account Access For Specific Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Account Access For Specific Apps: Every time I boot up my pc, UAC asks if steelseriesapp has permission to make changes to my computer and every time I press yes. Is there a way to always allow this app to make changes instead of getting this pop up after every boot. I know there is the option to turn of UAC...
  7. uninstall all downloaded apps

uninstall all downloaded apps: I would like to uninstall all apps on my laptop. I Believe I download one that was bad. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-all-downloaded-apps/b0320e10-6948-4784-aff4-20366db3fad3
  8. uninstalling apps (specific ones) please help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    uninstalling apps (specific ones) please help: please read all and carefully before replying, thank u. (sorry for some typos btw)computer info: windows 10, ASUS, Laptop how do I delete/uninstall an app, that is no use to my computer? (Paint 3D for example) it's taking up some of my storage, and it wont let me delete it,...
  9. Icons of uninstalled apps showing in All apps

Icons of uninstalled apps showing in All apps: Hello all, I am new here, although I did come here quite a few times and many times found the solution :-) My problem is (I am on 1511) that some icons of removed (by powershell) apps reapeared, and there seem to be no way to get rid of them. Nothing I have found had...
  10. Folder Specific to one user shows up for all users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Specific to one user shows up for all users: I have a WIndows 2012 R2 server, on that server I have about 10 users. My desktop computer is Windows 10, my boss' computer is Windows 10. We are both users on the network. I am trying to share a folder with only him and none of the other employees. I have gone to Properties,...