Windows 10: Unique Issue in need of unique solution regarding Desktop Icons!

Discus and support Unique Issue in need of unique solution regarding Desktop Icons! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I recently had to switch my SSD's and clean install Windows 10 because I was unable to boot period (It freezes on the bios splash, and can't even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rspkers, Apr 14, 2017.

1. rspkers Win User

Unique Issue in need of unique solution regarding Desktop Icons!

So I recently had to switch my SSD's and clean install Windows 10 because I was unable to boot period (It freezes on the bios splash, and can't even get to bios when this SSD is connected) on my first SSD. I've given up completely on trying to recover that SSD, I've tried just about everything you can think of regarding the MBR, cables, sfc, everything. So anyway, while it freezes on my mobo, I can still access the SSD (for now..) on another PC, but it wont boot and repairing windows 10 wont work. I give this information so I can illustrate why I cant just copy the icons straight from my desktop when I turn on the PC on my old drive.

Long story short, I have something like 3-400 desktop icons all perfectly laid out in fences. I want to save the MANY hours it will take to add them one by one onto my new SSD. I copied everything located in the Desktop folder in the old SSD and pasted it on my new desktop, this worked and they function and shaved off a good amt of time, but oddly a lot of icons (like a lot) were missing. Is there some sort of master directory anywhere that has a list of all the icons on my Windows 10 installation with my previous drive?

Before suggesting snapshots of Fences, I'll note that I've already done this, but fences does not save icons themselves, just the location they were in. The icons I did copy from the desktop folder on my old SSD nicely went to their respective locations in my old fences snapshot on my new SSD, however many many icons are missing, so I wanted to know if there's a way to find where all of them are (since I can't boot into Windows 10 on the old drive but can still access the SSD(files))

Solved: They're in the public folder as well.

:)

rspkers, Apr 14, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Unique question regarding Desktop Icons! (It's not the typical cache rebuild one, trust me)

Icons on your desktop (which I assume are for applicationsyou have loaded) are not stored in a central Windows store/location . . .

Application icons are individually stored by each application either in the exe or a dll as byte code - there is no actual icon file

To test this, right click any application (not an Office app) icon on your desktop, choose properties, then click the Shortcut tab and click 'Change Icon'

Note the 'Look for icons in this file' box and you will see it is looking inside an exe or dll for icons associated with that application . . .

Unique Issue in need of unique solution regarding Desktop Icons! [​IMG]

DaveM121, Apr 14, 2017
  3. Chirurin Win User
    Unique question regarding Desktop Icons! (It's not the typical cache rebuild one, trust me)

So I'm in a bit of a predicament regarding Desktop Icons. (If you don't care about the background, skip reading this paragraph and go straight to my actual problem)
    For background purposes, I'll tell you the issue that lead to the need for a solution to the topic. Note: I'm not asking for help with this one, because I've basically given up lol. I recently had a weird issue with my old Windows 10 installation on
    an SSD that would freeze bios at the splash screen. Couldn't get into bios or nothing ONLY if this SSD was attached. Remove it'd post just fine. Trust me, I've tried everything imaginable. Reset bios, repair MBR, vanilla microsoft repairs, bootrec.exe, cables,
    more CMD wizardry, you name it. Anyway, the thing is I can't boot into it, and that leads to an issue on my new SSD I'd like help with. So I fresh installed on a new SSD (I needed a larger SSD anyway) and everything's working great on the new SSD.
    Also note,I CANT boot into the old SSD, but I CAN access its files on another pc.

So here's the issue:

I use Fences (wonderful software) and I have something like 3-400 icons neatly set up in it on my old SSD. That's quite a few. I want to copy these icons to my new SSD to save many hours adding them one by one manually, (games and other software on other drives).
    I've already done a backup of my Fences snapshot and added it to the new SSD, however Fences of course doesnt save actual icons, it just saves where the icons are located.

And here's what I've done so far:

• I've accessed my old SSD.
    • Copied the Desktop folder and every icon in that folder to my new SSD's desktop.
    • Success!
    • The icons went to their original locations like they used to be on the old SSD thanks to the Fences Snapshot.

[*]

But there's one problem. A LOT of icons were missing. The desktop folder on the old SSD for whatever reason did not include a couple hundred extra icons I had on the old SSD'd desktop!

Unique Issue in need of unique solution regarding Desktop Icons! [​IMG]

So here's where people smarter than me (you) come in:

Is there any master directory or location I can access on the old SSD (mind you I can't boot into it, but I can access the drive and all its folders) that contains every desktop icon I have on it? (since the actual desktop folder is missing a ton of icons)
    Is there some plac in Windows I could just copy and add to my new Windows installation or a registry item that would copy all the old icons? Windows has to save that somewhere right? How else does windows know to load the icons you added on your Desktop when
    you reboot?

I would just copy the icons from the old SSD's Desktop itself, but I can't boot into it, so I'm stuck here.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide as much info as possible so people know exactly what the problem is. Thanks!

Chirurin, Apr 14, 2017
Thema:

Unique Issue in need of unique solution regarding Desktop Icons!

1. Unique Issue in need of unique solution regarding Desktop Icons! - Similar Threads - Unique Issue need

2. unique login issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unique login issue: As it's impossible to get a real person in chat or on the phone from Microsoft and as my issue is very unique and doesn't fit into any of Microsoft's guided help topics, I'm hoping someone hear can assist.Several years ago, my actual Microsoft account was hacked resulting...
  3. unique login issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unique login issue: As it's impossible to get a real person in chat or on the phone from Microsoft and as my issue is very unique and doesn't fit into any of Microsoft's guided help topics, I'm hoping someone hear can assist.Several years ago, my actual Microsoft account was hacked resulting...
  4. Unique Issue with My Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unique Issue with My Laptop: I have a DELL Laptop with the following problem :The problem starts abruptly at any time.With the charger connected, I lose audio in the system, the keyboard starts behaving weirdly and the laptop stops chargingwith charger attached. On removing the charger, the laptop shuts...
  5. Unique Issue with My Laptop

Unique Issue with My Laptop: I have a DELL Laptop with the following problem :The problem starts abruptly at any time.With the charger connected, I lose audio in the system, the keyboard starts behaving weirdly and the laptop stops chargingwith charger attached. On removing the charger, the laptop shuts...
  6. Unique Issue with My Laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Unique Storage Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unique Storage Issues: Hi all,I am having trouble with managing multiple users in context to storage consumption. I recently made a user for a family member so that they can have their own desk space. But I realized some of the programs I had previously downloaded weren't accessible to the new...
  8. I have a unique microphone Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    I have a unique microphone Issue: My Laptop is a Lenovo IdeaPad Flex-14API Here's my issue Microphone is detected and Cortana Can hear me but no other app can. The following are screenshots to help understand Page 1 [ATTACH] Page 2[ATTACH] Page3 [ATTACH]Page 4 [ATTACH] Page 5 [ATTACH]Page 6...
  9. Chromecast issues unique to Windows 10

Chromecast issues unique to Windows 10: I have 2 HP Pavilion laptops. One older, running Windows 7, one quite new, running Windows 10. Only the older one will allow me to cast or screen mirror using my Google Chromecast. Having spent hours in troubleshooting with Google and Chrome support staff, it has been...
  10. Can't find solutions - Taskbar & Desktop problems - they're unique!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't find solutions - Taskbar & Desktop problems - they're unique!!: My Taskbar un-hides without me moving the mouse - or even touching the computer. Then, it usually quickly hides again. The icons on the far right of the Taskbar sometimes take over 20 seconds to appear - and that's after the computer has been running for awhile. Then, my...