Windows 10: Universal recovery and portable Windows system

Discus and support Universal recovery and portable Windows system in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks Using a VM you can make a really good bootable portable system which can be used also as a recovery toolbox - even when if using a Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jan 17, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Universal recovery and portable Windows system

Hi folks

Using a VM you can make a really good bootable portable system which can be used also as a recovery toolbox - even when if using a Windows host the system won't boot.

Here's what to do.

1) ensure you have a SATA-->USB3 connector and an SSD - an old 120GB one is perfectly good for this. SATA-->USB2 will also work satisfactorily but obviously a USB3 connection is so much faster.

2) create a USB bootable install USB stick of a Linux distro you like - usually download an ISO and then running rufus to make the USB stick bootable.
    I'd choose use MBR for both UEFI and MBR systems as this gives most flexibility.

3) Boot the USB stick and install a Linux system on the SSD - ensure the /boot is also on the SSD so the system boots totally independent of the Host computers HDD

4) After booting and doing any updates on your Linux system ensure the following packages are installed -- Ntfs-3g (read / write access to NTFS files) and SAMBA for network connectivity.

5) now install VBOX / VMware player -- you'll need to ensure kernel headers and gcc (compiler) are installed on the Linux system to create a VM.

6) Install a Windows VM on your Linux system -- if you already have one then ensure at first boot say I MOVED it otherwise you could run into activation problems.

7) install anything on the Windows vm -- Macrium is a good starter, as is a partition manager - I also have Office on mine as I like to have another language available when I'm on working gigs and an Icelandic version of Windows without hosing up other peoples machines !!!!.

8) to fix problems on HDD's on the HOST system simply add those HDD's as RAW (Physical) Disks to the Windows VM. Windows will now see those disks too where you can perform your relevant recovery actions.

If you get error message about partition table when changing the VM's config - ignore that's a VMWARE bug -- I'm not sure if VBOX gives same message but if it does simply ignore.

On even a half way decent machine response time is pretty good so although this looks fairly complex it isn't actually - and you have a really portable reliable system.

Advantage of this approach compared to using Virtual disks for the boot is that this system will boot even if there's no functioning HDD / SSD in the host system at all and is portable as well. If you have a larger SSD you can also keep your last macrium backup on it making restore really fast - remembr though to have the physical disks defined in the VM config.

When using on a different machine change the RAW HDD's in the config to the new ones and always say on first boot of the Windows VM "I Moved it" not "I copied it" to avoid activation problems. If you don't need to access the hosts physical HDD's then simply comment out or remove the definition in the config.

Have fun

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 17, 2018

2. Windows 10 OEM License Terms

OEM is stuck to one motherboard and is not portable to another = that is universal Universal recovery and portable Windows system :)

ThrashZone, Jan 17, 2018
  3. Danish Lari, Jan 17, 2018
Thema:

Universal recovery and portable Windows system

1. Universal recovery and portable Windows system - Similar Threads - Universal recovery portable

2. windows system recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows system recovery: my laptop was fully reset from a repair. I have backed up my files by creating a system image on an external hard drive, however when I go to restore my system image, it says I also need a system repair disc. my laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD drive so I cannot create a system...
  3. windows system recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows system recovery: my laptop was fully reset from a repair. I have backed up my files by creating a system image on an external hard drive, however when I go to restore my system image, it says I also need a system repair disc. my laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD drive so I cannot create a system...
  4. windows system recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bitlocker Recovery Key with university email

Bitlocker Recovery Key with university email: I used a university email to sign into Windows 10 on my personal device and needed to take the laptop to a repair shop. They needed the Bitlocker recovery key to get out of a repair loop, but when I signed in with the Azure account, it signs me in, and lists the device, but...
  6. System Image with Portable Base Layer

System Image with Portable Base Layer: After installing Sandbox, when I do a system image backup the backup does not let me include the Portable Base Layer (which Seems to have automatically been created after I installed the windows 10 Sandbox). So I can backup as a system image only the 3 'real' partitions that...
  7. Universal Windows?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Universal Windows?: Since I've had a response to one of my posts which I had a response stating that Windows 10 will be re-branded to Windows etc. What about Microsoft's plan for the Unified Kernel? Will Windows eventually become a universal operating system meaning will we as in the consumer be...
  8. Windows system recovery

Windows system recovery: Hello, Recently I faced a problem while logging in into my Windows account. I received a message saying that I was logged in into a temporary account. As to fix it, I created a new account and moved my content to this new account. This is working fine, but now I would like...
  9. system recovery

in Windows 10 Customization
    system recovery: I have all kinds of system recoveries on my pc and when I go to recover a past time on my PC .It will run for about 20 minutes or more and then I get a mesasage that my system was not restored to that time .Please try a different restore point . I never had this problem with...
  10. Recovery from Portable Device is not working!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovery from Portable Device is not working!: Hey guys, I have WesternDigital 120 GB Harddrive from past couple of years. I used to store data and accidently my data wiped. Now I am trying to recover it from Recuva and from EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. [img] [img] [img] Its showing me Overwritten and this icon on the...