Windows 10: University Mirrors - who funds them

Discus and support University Mirrors - who funds them in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Loads of free software (e.g VLC) are stored on Mirrors hosted by many universities around the world -- just curious to know what they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Mar 16, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

University Mirrors - who funds them

Hi there

Loads of free software (e.g VLC) are stored on Mirrors hosted by many universities around the world -- just curious to know what they actually get out of providing this (useful) service and how is it paid for.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 16, 2015

2. Share your Symbian Anna experience here

@ray

Facebook is mirror while twitter is parallel universe!

twitter is very addictive University Mirrors - who funds them ;)

donofworld, Mar 16, 2015
  3. Windows 10 monitor is working, but windows doesn't detect second monitor

I have a couple of users who are getting a mirrored second monitor, but windows won't detect them both. (trying to change to extend displays) Made sure drivers are up to date(won't let me roll them back either)

Nick Hatton, Mar 16, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I think that it's a way to get students to use the tools and with luck if they like them enough they'll purchase a copy when they graduate. It's also a way to get colleges/universities to use the tools since it's free for their students.

BunnyJ, Mar 16, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    Many universities are publicly funded, as such the results of their work often have to be made available to the public if possible.

In addition, Universities tend to have a way of thinking that they should be spreading knowledge publicly (most public universities allow you to "Audit" classes for free without grade, for instance). And this is likely just another aspect of that. Remember, the internet itself was funded by public money, and implemented by universities and DARPA.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. University Mirrors - who funds them - Similar Threads - University Mirrors funds

2. Funds Not Showing in Balance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Funds Not Showing in Balance: I added funds to Daughters Account shows +$10 but balance still showing $0.00 it’s been days. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/funds-not-showing-in-balance/e5c23b15-d837-4952-b92e-2e98639cf751
  3. Funds Not Showing in Balance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Funds Not Showing in Balance: I added funds to Daughters Account shows +$10 but balance still showing $0.00 it’s been days. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/funds-not-showing-in-balance/e5c23b15-d837-4952-b92e-2e98639cf751
  4. My monitors are mirrored and I can't change them back.

My monitors are mirrored and I can't change them back.: I've had this PC for a few years now, and I have not changed my monitors since I got them, and they have been working fine, but then I recently restarted it, but when it turned back on the two screens were mirrored. I used Win + P and selected Extend Displays but that didn't...
  5. What about charities who don't have the funding to upgrade their devices for Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What about charities who don't have the funding to upgrade their devices for Windows 11?: I work for a charity, running a Job Club helping those who are more marginalised into, or back into the workplace.We have had 9 laptops donated to us over the last 2 years, for customer use during our sessions replacing our old Windows 7 devices with new Windows 10...
  6. What about charities who don't have the funding to upgrade their devices for Windows 11?

What about charities who don't have the funding to upgrade their devices for Windows 11?: I work for a charity, running a Job Club helping those who are more marginalised into, or back into the workplace.We have had 9 laptops donated to us over the last 2 years, for customer use during our sessions replacing our old Windows 7 devices with new Windows 10...
  7. xbox funds to microsoft

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    xbox funds to microsoft: I had bought some xbox cards from the local gas station for my microsoft account but they were for xbox monthly subscription. I do not play the xbox games I play Asphalt 9 on my computer and need the funds in the Microsoft account like the other xbox cards I redeemed in the...
  8. How to use funds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use funds: I have 25$ in my microsoft account balance but when I tried to buy Minecraft for windows 10 it does not give me the option to use my balance. I have enough money to buy it yet I am not given the option to buy it....
  9. Trouble Transfering Funds

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Trouble Transfering Funds: Hello, So I just purchased Minecraft today and I was about to purchase a texture pack that I had on Minecraft PE that I really like using. Purchasing Minecraft was fine but the texture pack is a different story. For whatever reason I have to ask permission to purchase...
  10. Insufficient funds

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Insufficient funds: I got a $25 dollar xbox gift card for christmas... i used some for fortnite vbucks, and i would like to buy 400 robux. Well... i have $15.89 in my microsoft balance... and the cost of the item i would like to buy from roblox is $6.99, i know i have enough because i have once...