Windows 10: Unknown corruption issue with windows 10? Cannot run CMD

Discus and support Unknown corruption issue with windows 10? Cannot run CMD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm not really sure where to start here, but I'm trying to fix a computer which I'm pretty sure has parts of windows corrupted. For example, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by amorley, May 18, 2017.

1. amorley Win User

Unknown corruption issue with windows 10? Cannot run CMD

I'm not really sure where to start here, but I'm trying to fix a computer which I'm pretty sure has parts of windows corrupted. For example, the network (my college network) I am trying to get it onto has a proxy and a pc scan needs to be run before you are able to make it onto the network, but windows will crash completely when I try to run the .exe file (or any .exe file at that).

The start menu doesn't work, nor does any of the taskbar (the clock is frozen too), but programs like chrome and file explorer will open. I also cannot open task manager or command prompt to run sfc /scannow but I did manage to navigate to a directory with powershell in it using file explorer, and was able to run it but need to run it as admin in order to run the sfc /scannow command on it, which thought was a solution, but the right click doesn't work, and windows crashes again when I try to use right click (or just file explorer crashes and I cannot close it before I restart windows)..

I'm completely baffled as to what this could be, as things making windows crash is slowly ruling out any solutions I can think up.. Ideally, I don't want to reinstall windows because there are things that would be quite hard to recover and I do not have an external volume to back up to at the moment. I'm just not sure what to do atm..

:)

amorley, May 18, 2017
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Cannot run any file, cmd prompt and others, as administrator

Thank you for getting back to us. We're glad that you are able to create a new Administrator account. Meanwhile, the user account in question may have encountered a corruption that caused the issue on running some programs that also disabled the use of the
    Task Manager. We recommend that you use the new Administrator account instead.

For further help if you need to copy the files (Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, Downloads, Favorites.) from the corrupted user account to the new Administrator account, Windows has a
    Public folder, located at C:\Users, which is accessible to all users. If you save files in this folder, it can be shared among all the users. If you want to create and save files so that you can share them with the other users, you
    should save them in the Public folder. If you move your existing files and folders to this Public folder, you will be able to share them with another user accounts. Follow the steps below on how to move the files to your new user account.

• Copy the corrupted user account files to the Public folder.
    • Sign in to the new Administrator account.
    • Move the files from the Public folder to the Administrator account. Note:You can only copy data files from one user to another (Docu ments, Music, Pictures, Videos, Downloads, Favorites.)

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, May 18, 2017
  3. cmd keeps running automatically

reinstalling windows and the drivers again should solve this problem and I already downloaded the drivers.

I don't want to format my laptop but as you see that the file is completely unknown on google search and that's why it's difficult to know the problem causes so maybe formatting is the only way to recovering the washrgew.exe.

thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

eleno0orbaras, May 18, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

There are a couple of things you can try, but I don't know if you have enough of your system left operable to be able to make them work.

You can try an in-place upgrade repair install:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

It might be just your user profile that is corrupt. You can try enabling the built-in administrator account:
    Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Log in to the built-in administrator account and then create a new user account, and change it to administrator, then log into it;
    Add User Account in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials
    Change Account Type in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

If all else fails, see my quote in the middle of the OP in this thread, create a combination Windows 10 installation USB flash drive and Kyhi's Recovery Tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Boot the computer from that, use the partition tools on his recovery (AEOMI or MiniTool) to shrink your current Windows partition to as small as it will go. Then install a new Windows 10 to the empty space. Once you get everything copied out of the old Windows partition that you want to keep, then you can delete it and expand the new Windows partition into the space the old Windows occupied.

NavyLCDR, May 18, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    See if one of these ten approaches can get to administrative command prompt:

10 Ways to Open the Command Prompt in Windows 10

For command line click the following keyboard keys:
    1) win + x (simultaneously)
    2) a
    3) alt + y (simultaneously)

zbook, May 18, 2017
  6. amorley Win User
    Thank you very much for these options- Looks like the system is pretty corrupted because even UAC is non existent and even though I found how to run powershell or CMD as admin in the navigation panel of file explorer, it still crashed when I selected run as admin. I think either the second option or last option might work, as it looks like the first two aren't going to happen.. Thanks very much for your time.

amorley, May 18, 2017
  7. amorley Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it turns out UAC is corrupted too, so I can't run anything as admin..

amorley, May 18, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

Obtain a flash drive that you can format to create a bootable windows 10 iso:

Download Windows 10

What is the make and model of your computer?

Each computer manufacture has a F key to choose the boot device.

Once you know the F key you will then be able to boot to the Windows 10 iso and attempt repair of your computer's operating system.

Choices may include:
    Restore choosing a date when it was last functioning well
    Reset with save files
    Startup repair
    In place upgrade

Missing from the Windows 10 iso are startup options such as safe mode with command prompt or safe mode with networking. But if you need these we may be able to open these as well.

With the windows 10 iso open the Windows troubleshooting options and navigate to command prompt.
    The title bar will display: Administrator:X:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
    When there run: sfc /scannow

Let us know the result.

If you want to try to get to the windows advanced troubleshooting menu without a bootable windows 10 iso you can try the following method:
    Power on your computer and as soon as you see the windows icon power off.
    Repeat this step once or twice more.
    The next boot should slowly boot to the windows troubleshooting menu.
    When there navigate to startup options (not startup repair)
    Then choose option number 6, safe mode with command prompt.
    Then run: sfc /scannow
    If you need to use the computer then you can reboot and choose safe mode with networking.

zbook, May 19, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can't do a repair install by booting from the installation media. A repair install must be started by running setup.exe from within the Windows needing repair.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

NavyLCDR, May 19, 2017
  10. zbook New Member
    The windows 10 iso has:
    system restore
    system image recovery
    startup repair
    command prompt
    UEFI firmware settings
    Go back to previous edition

Choosing UEFI firmware settings requires a restart to change.
    For a HP computer the F11 key opens HP recovery then reset with save files, reset with remove files, and startup options.
    It's a round about way to get to the windows needing repair. It did require a reboot to the windows needing repair.

zbook, May 20, 2017
  11. amorley Win User
    Thank you very much, I'm going to try some of the things both of you have told me- sorry for the delay- I'm sitting exams at college and this isn't top of my priorities. The PC is not a specific make or model, as its a self built. It has an MSI motherboard, and I know that the hotkey for the bios is [delete]. I did manage to get to the startup repair screen and get into the windows recovery screen, which appears to still be working, and discovered that they had got rid of the 'refresh your PC' option that i've used before on previous computers with similar issues.. I think my best bet is to recover the files I can and then do a clean install of windows 10 pro.

amorley, May 22, 2017
  12. amorley Win User
    amorley, May 22, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

After you've recovered what data you can, check your disk before installing Windows. We've no idea what caused this failure.

You can do that using Kyhi's boot disk available at the top of the Software and Apps section here. Boot your PC from it and run HDTune, one of the available utilities.

Once you have Windows up and running again, start using disk imaging routinely (as we do) to protect your PC, your data, and possibly your sanity. And save you a great deal of time when things go wrong from disk failure to ransomware. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

dalchina, May 22, 2017
  14. amorley Win User
    Thanks- will do that. My sanity is almost gone anyway as I've got laptops and PCs dying left right and centre including my self built which is somehow still running the OS on a WD green drive that's on its last legs...*Sad( This is my friends PC so he's loosing his sanity *chuckle

amorley, May 22, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Wow... maybe you or your friend are the virus... *Biggrin

dalchina, May 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Unknown corruption issue with windows 10? Cannot run CMD - Similar Threads - Unknown corruption issue

2. Issues running CMD as administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues running CMD as administrator: When I click 'Run as administrator' nothing pops up. This seems to be a recurring issue with a lot of my programs especially my start button. I have tried restarting windows explorer on my taskbar and it works temporarily. There has to be corrupted files of some sort....
  3. Issues running CMD as administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues running CMD as administrator: When I click 'Run as administrator' nothing pops up. This seems to be a recurring issue with a lot of my programs especially my start button. I have tried restarting windows explorer on my taskbar and it works temporarily. There has to be corrupted files of some sort....
  4. My cmd is corrupted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My cmd is corrupted: My cmd might be corrupted , when i try to open it with shortcut , it doesnt open , when i open the cmd it self it says the file is corrupted and unreadable , is there a fix...
  5. My cmd is corrupted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My cmd is corrupted: My cmd might be corrupted , when i try to open it with shortcut , it doesnt open , when i open the cmd it self it says the file is corrupted and unreadable , is there a fix...
  6. cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator

cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator: From exe file property ===> check: Run this program as an administrator open cmd: run as adminitrator type cd ==> enter C:\Users\MYNAME\Downloads\Programs\Apps\Viber Setup ==> Enter ===> 'C:\Users\MYNAME' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable...
  7. cannot run an exe file in CMD asministrator

cannot run an exe file in CMD asministrator: From exe file property ===> check: Run this program as an administrator open cmd: run as adminitrator type cd ==> enter C:\Users\MYNAME\Downloads\Programs\Apps\Viber Setup ==> Enter ===> 'C:\Users\MYNAME' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable...
  8. cmd not running windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cmd not running windows 10: Hi I have a Lenovo ideapad originally with preinstalled Windows 10 1803. While trying to upgrade to 1903 the operating system got corrupted and I subsequently restored from a USB supplied by Lenovo Customer Support. I eventually managed to upgrade to v1903 18362.388. I am...
  9. Cannot run .exe files, cmd (admin)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot run .exe files, cmd (admin): Hi! I tried to install a program to recover some lost pictures from an android phone. Later on some error popped up basically saying I couldn’t install the program. I’ve since then deleted the installer exe file. For some reason nothing was working so i force shutdown my...
  10. Help! Win 10 cannot run CMD with python and Jenkins

in Windows 10 Support
    Help! Win 10 cannot run CMD with python and Jenkins: I'm developing some scripts on Win 10. But suddenly all the script failed due to it cannot invoke CMD on Win10. Here is one example, " import os os.system("cd .") " It is a very simple code that python to call CMD to execute "cd .". But it always return "-1073740791"....