Windows 10: Unknown file opening upon turning on laptop

Discus and support Unknown file opening upon turning on laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A file called backup.txt is trying to open every time I turn on my laptop. It never opens because there's no default application for the file, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SLOmax, Feb 28, 2016.

1. SLOmax Win User

Unknown file opening upon turning on laptop

A file called backup.txt is trying to open every time I turn on my laptop. It never opens because there's no default application for the file, so Windows usually asks me which app I want to open it with. I chose notepad because it was a txt file, but nothing happened. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Does anyone know what it is?
    I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, so thank you for your time!

-Max

:)

SLOmax, Feb 28, 2016

2. file and printer sharing keeps turning on upon reboot

Hello Scott,

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

Sometimes problem with the User Profile causes this kind of behavior. I mean to say, minor corruption with the User Profile causes this kind of issue. Suggest you to try setting up another User Profile to see if it makes any difference.
    Refer the article Set up accounts on Windows 10.
    Once you set up another User Profile, check and see if the same thing happens there.

Let us know the outcome to guide you further.

Thank you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Feb 28, 2016
  3. file and printer sharing keeps turning on upon reboot

After turning off my "File and Printer Sharing" for all my networks, it usually turns itself back on when I restart my computer. I go back to my network's advanced sharing settings and turn it back off, but it reverts back on once I restart my computer
    (not every time though). At the same time, "core networking" keeps allowing an exception in my windows firewall, which may or not be a related issue (I dont know if that should be checked or not as an exception in my firewall but it keeps turning itself on
    when I restart same as my file and printer sharing does). Can someone please advise if this is normal, and if not, how to prevent my files from being shared every time I restart my computer? Thanks!

---scott

ScottATL999, Feb 28, 2016
  4. Unknown file opening upon turning on laptop

Done a search on it and it is a file to backup any txt you put in
    Like g.mail or messenger
    If you dont use
    You could try and remove or disable it

hTconeM9user, Feb 28, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Does this happen since day one or just recently ?

If it is just recently, do you remember a date when you did NOT have this problem ?
    If yes, then do a system restore. Pick a date when you did NOT have this problem as Restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

davidhk, Feb 28, 2016
  6. SLOmax Win User
    It's been happening for a few days, so I tried a system restore to the earliest option available and the problem is still there.

SLOmax, Feb 28, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Is that "earliest" date you chose a date when you did NOT have this problem, or it was a date after you have the problem ?

Do you know you can select more restore points by click at this box.........

Unknown file opening upon turning on laptop [​IMG]

davidhk, Feb 28, 2016
  8. Unknown file opening upon turning on laptop

No need to go for a system restore right away. Get something like CCleaner and look through your start up apps. My guess is, you'll find an entry for the file. It will tell you what program it is related to (likely by the folder and path) and give you the option of disabling it. Windows 10's built-in Task Manager may tell you the same thing.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Unknown file opening upon turning on laptop

1. Unknown file opening upon turning on laptop - Similar Threads - Unknown file opening

2. File Explorer crashes upon opening.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes upon opening.: I just opened my pc today and it started crashing upon opening file explorer. I haven’t modified or installed anything new the day before. I am a bit confused as to why it’s doing this. I’ve tried rebooting and a system file scan and currently on the latest windows version. I...
  3. File Explorer crashes upon opening.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer crashes upon opening.: I just opened my pc today and it started crashing upon opening file explorer. I haven’t modified or installed anything new the day before. I am a bit confused as to why it’s doing this. I’ve tried rebooting and a system file scan and currently on the latest windows version. I...
  4. Unknown reasion of turning on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown reasion of turning on: Hi everyone, I bought a laptop 2 years ago for my college. In that laptop i have a problem which i havent seen before. When i shut down my laptop, it turns on itself. I had this issue since i bought the laptop but last night it went way too bad. After it turned itself on, i...
  5. Unknown reasion of turning on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown reasion of turning on: Hi everyone, I bought a laptop 2 years ago for my college. In that laptop i have a problem which i havent seen before. When i shut down my laptop, it turns on itself. I had this issue since i bought the laptop but last night it went way too bad. After it turned itself on, i...
  6. Unknown file opens when i turn on pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown file opens when i turn on pc: so i started having this weird thing happen where this file that's name is my name Andy opens when i turn on my pc, when i log in it asks what program i want to use to open the file, the file type is just file and this is whats inside it, could someone please help, is it a...
  7. A unknown CMD file always open at startup ?

A unknown CMD file always open at startup ?: Its been going for weeks now. There's a unknown CMD file running when i open Windows and this happens everytime. The file runs so fast that i could only see it for 1 second. I tried to check for it in startup folder, in Task Manager and almost everywhere but i still couldnt...
  8. open office file is locked by unknown user

open office file is locked by unknown user: how to unlock open office file when it is locked by unknown user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-office-file-is-locked-by-unknown-user/cf3be72e-7158-4b75-960d-45fb799c854e
  9. Unknown file tries to open Nox_unload.exe %appdata%

Unknown file tries to open Nox_unload.exe %appdata%: Whenever my laptop turns on, a file tries to open see pic. It seems to be related to Nox emulator which I had uninstalled. I reinstalled Nox and uninstalled again but the issue still pertains. Please assist, this dialog box at startup is really frustrating. Also, I can't...
  10. Unknown program opening open file with program dialogue.

Unknown program opening open file with program dialogue.: I keep having this issue every morning when I get on my computer. The open with program dialogue will be open asking what I would like to open *File* with. Said file is unknown *I did not open anything as I was away from the computer* My instinct tells me to click notepad...