Windows 10: Unknown Firefox Profiles

Discus and support Unknown Firefox Profiles in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; With Bree and Edwin's help I finally got into the FF Profile Manager and it showed just one profile named default. I then looked at my FF profile and... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by JJG10, Nov 19, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

Unknown Firefox Profiles

With Bree and Edwin's help I finally got into the FF Profile Manager and it showed just one profile named default. I then looked at my FF profile and found four profiles whose names all ended in 'default. How can I determine which is the 'active' onel

Can I get rid of the rest?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Nov 19, 2017

2. BOOKMARK MISSING

You can find your bookmark backups in a folder such as the ones below - if they still exist. There is no point in looking at ntuser.dat. It is a registry hive and does not contain Firefox bookmarks.

C:\Users\RandyF\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\cinjfct9.default\bookmarkbackups

C:\Windows.old\Users\FLang\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\cinjfct9.default\bookmarkbackups

Frederik Long, Nov 19, 2017
  3. GoneAWOL Win User
    Problems with Windows 10 Photo App Color Rendition

Just checked again on MS Edge, IE, and Mozilla Firefox - all up to date as of today - something strange is going on.

I have a fully colour managed system using a profiled wide-gamut monitor. Yes, Edge, IE and Firefox all display the ICC V4 pdf correctly (with just a bit of darkening top-right in Firefox).

However, when I load a JPG image things get more complicated. The following table summarizes what happens. I have included how Windows Photo Viewer (WPV) and Photoshop behave for comparison too.

Correct display colour
    Image colour space

SRGB
    Adobe RGB

Monitor setting
    SRGB
    IE, Edge
    IE

Firefox, PS, WPV
    Edge, Firefox, PS, WPV

It seems that, Firefox, Photoshop and Windows Photo Viewer are consistent in that they depend on the monitor being in the profiled mode to show colours correctly - remember, it is a wide gamut monitor and all applications should read the monitor profile
    to work properly.

IE, however, seems not to read the monitor profile and thus depends on the monitor being set to SRGB output (over-riding its default settings).

Edge is all over the place !

GoneAWOL, Nov 19, 2017
  4. Unknown Firefox Profiles

Hi JJG10.

Click on the three bars, then Help, then Troubleshoot. Right at the bottom is profiles, click on the link to the right. It shows you the profile currently in use.

There should also be a listing for the default. I would keep that in case you need new. The other two I would move somewhere, monitor you system and delete in a month.

Caledon Ken, Nov 19, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Hi Ken, are you using Firefox 57 yet? The link to the profiles on my version of that page is to the left, under 'Application Basics' - or you can go straight to the profiles page by typing aboutUnknown Firefox Profiles :profiles in the address bar.

There is no 'default' profile to keep in FF, it creates one from scratch whenever you create a new profile, either by installing FF or in the Profile Manager. The default name of a new profile is always auniqueseriesofrandomletters.default, even in Profile Manager (but at least there you can change that to a meaningful name before saving it).

6. Plankton Win User
    Yeah...I have two FF open windows and showing only the 2 open windows and both are default as I'm the only user. I'm using FF57 and it's exactly where Ken says it is. Works like a charm for me.

Plankton, Nov 19, 2017
  7. Edwin New Member
    The Firefox Profile Manager is a pain!

Use the Manager to create fresh profiles from scratch and name them appropriately.

Then create 'profile specific' shortcuts and put them in your Start folder.

Unknown Firefox Profiles [​IMG]

Send a firefox.exe to the Desktop as a Shortcut for each profile, amend the shortcut Target by adding a space then -P then another space then the "proper name" in quotations. Click Apply and OK.

Example:

"C:\Program Files\Nightly\firefox.exe" -P "Nightly"

Edwin, Nov 19, 2017
  8. Unknown Firefox Profiles

Yes I'm on 57. They were so excited they sent out emails and I was watching another thread. Yes you can get to with about: profiles but the Trouble Shooting screen is nice to see and be aware of. (Yes there are spaces before the word profile and there should not be. Didn't want emoji with tongue sticking out. Probably could have gone advanced.)

My description could have been better. I say right (not right hand side) at the bottom is profiles and I could have said at the bottom of the blue column is the word profiles, to the right of that is a link.

I like Edwin's tip. I'm a chrome user and use Firefox with a script blocker to check out things in places I shouldn't be. That add-on is dead although I think I saw the developer was redoing.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unknown Firefox Profiles

1. Unknown Firefox Profiles - Similar Threads - Unknown Firefox Profiles

2. 2 Windows 11 Profiles - Unknown to me

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 Windows 11 Profiles - Unknown to me: Hello,Looking at User Profiles I see 4 profiles - 2 local accounts that I created - 1 I created with the eye of making it into a Microsoft Account and 2 others I do not recognizeDefault Profile - 372 MB Local Local modified 6.9/2022IIS APPPOOL/DefaultAppPool 2.76MB Local...
  3. 2 Windows 11 Profiles - Unknown to me

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 Windows 11 Profiles - Unknown to me: Hello,Looking at User Profiles I see 4 profiles - 2 local accounts that I created - 1 I created with the eye of making it into a Microsoft Account and 2 others I do not recognizeDefault Profile - 372 MB Local Local modified 6.9/2022IIS APPPOOL/DefaultAppPool 2.76MB Local...
  4. Firefox profile: Task Scheduler vs Desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Firefox profile: Task Scheduler vs Desktop shortcut: I recently screwed up my Windows 10 Pro system and was able to get just about everything back. One problem that still exists is that I now have two Firefox profiles in use. I know where those are stored but I want to understand them from a different angle.Although they launch...
  5. Firefox Tip, transferring profiles from a old pc

in Windows 10 Support
    Firefox Tip, transferring profiles from a old pc: If you are coming from a old pc and need to transfer your old profiles try this. Go to your old pc Press Windows + R to open the run command type%appdata% Go to the mozilla folder Click Firefox and Profiles Copy the folder(s) if you have more than one folder Make a...
  6. Should I change a locked Firefox profile

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Should I change a locked Firefox profile: I get an error message when starting Windows 10 Pro, which is fully up to date, stating that "Firefox is already running but is not responding." Mozilla in response suggests that users change Firefox profiles access rights from its default read only setting. Is there any...
  7. Firefox Profile files and folders explained

in Windows 10 News
    Firefox Profile files and folders explained: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]One of our readers suggested us to come up with a follow-up article on how to find the Firefox Profile, describing some of the folders/files in the Firefox Profile folder on Windows PC. Particularly, the ones required for an easy reinstall [...] This post...
  8. Merge bookmarks between two Firefox profiles?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Merge bookmarks between two Firefox profiles?: I created a second Firefox profile as an experiment. I created new bookmarks, forgetting that bookmarks only go into the current profile. Is there a way that I can merge the two sets of bookmarks, or to somehow copy individual bookmarks or folders of bookmarks between the two...
  9. How to open Profile Manager in Firefox 57

in Browsers and Email
    How to open Profile Manager in Firefox 57: Whenever I 'Run' firefox.exe -F with FF57 installed it just goes to a blank FF screen. I've also use -profilemanger in additon to -F. Does FF57 require something different? Thank you 98378
  10. cannot restore old firefox profile

in Browsers and Email
    cannot restore old firefox profile: I realise this post is not exclusively related to Windows 10, but someone out there may be able to help me. I carelessly ended up with a virus today and it played havoc with my Firefox browser. Fortunately a couple of weeks ago I had saved a copy of my Firefox profile...