Windows 10: Unknown phone appears on Desktop network Window but not laptop window

Discus and support Unknown phone appears on Desktop network Window but not laptop window in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I run a network of all Win 10 Pro 64 systems, all connected wirelessly to a router, which is then connected to Comcast internet via a cable modem.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by x509, Mar 7, 2018.

1. x509 Win User

Unknown phone appears on Desktop network Window but not laptop window

I run a network of all Win 10 Pro 64 systems, all connected wirelessly to a router, which is then connected to Comcast internet via a cable modem.

Just now, this unknown phone "shamu" appeared in the "phones" part of the network window on my desktop. I have my laptop sitting right next to my desktop, not even two feet away, but "shamu" does not appear in the laptop's network window. *Confused

What is really weird is that my wife and I each have a phone and a tablet, none of which show up in neither system's network. *Confused

I know there is a reason for this, but I need help to figure out this reason.*sarc

:)

x509, Mar 7, 2018

2. "microsoft account service is unavailable at the moment. try again later"

microsoft account service is unavailable at the moment. try again later"

Htc window phone, Mar 7, 2018
  3. Cast to device shows neighbor's TV

Hi,

After updating to Win10 I see an unknown device in the "Cast to device" menus of Windows Media Player, IE and the Movies and TV app.

The device is "BRAVIA KDL-55W805A", I do not own such TV (my TV also appears, when it's on).

The TV does not appear in the "Devices and printers" window.

Bluetooth is turned off.

My laptop is connected via wifi to my router. The router does not show any unknown devices.

The unknown TV disappears from the listing if I disable wifi on my laptop.

The unknown TV appears in the listing if I enable wifi, without connecting to any network.

The TV is there also when I am connected to my network.

I have seen this TV for several months now. I have restarted several times.

How does this work?

How can a device from outside my network appear when I am not connected to any network?

Is this a potential security risk?

How can I prevent it?

This is the same question as
    this
    unresolved post.

/Thomas

ThomasHelgeson, Mar 7, 2018
  4. RickC Win User

RickC, Mar 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Unknown phone appears on Desktop network Window but not laptop window - Similar Threads - Unknown phone appears

2. Unknown network desktop device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown network desktop device: I recently found a network desktop device appeared in my File Explorer side bar on the Network section, which happens to be none of my devices connected to the local network I had censored the device name for reasonsThis device cluttered up my storage for some reason that I...
  3. Unknown network desktop device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown network desktop device: I recently found a network desktop device appeared in my File Explorer side bar on the Network section, which happens to be none of my devices connected to the local network I had censored the device name for reasonsThis device cluttered up my storage for some reason that I...
  4. Unknown network desktop device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Unknown tiny window on desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unknown tiny window on desktop: Hi all, hoping someone has seen this before. I am running win10 version 20H2 build 19042.867 on a two week old freshly built pc. Today I noticed a small off-color rectangle near the top left of the screen (Pictures 1 and 2). Mousing over it lets you resize it to reveal a tiny...
  6. Unknown devices keep appearing in my network tab

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown devices keep appearing in my network tab: I frequently see unrecognised devices in the network tab of Explorer (Windows version 1909). These include smartphones, printers, TVs and "generic network" devices. They come and go very quickly. I have changed my wifi password a number of times, most recently to one...
  7. Unknown phone device appearing in network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown phone device appearing in network: I have an unknown phone device appearing under a network view and just disappears after about 1 minute. it is not pingable and with no ip address. [ATTACH] A day before it had a different name and mac. [ATTACH]...
  8. unknown devices appears in networks and devices

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unknown devices appears in networks and devices: [IMG][ATTACH]Hello, when I type in the search bar (bottom left of the screen) Networks and Devices (View Computers and Networks and more below Control Panel) my router appears but there is also, and this often , another device, Sometimes it's a cell phone (named Shamu,...
  9. An unknown window appeared on my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    An unknown window appeared on my desktop: Recently, Whenever I download anything or edit my files, a window pops up on my desktop. The window is clear, has no name and doesn't show up in task manager. When I click it, it does nothing. It won't let me right click in the space of the window or drag desktop items to it....
  10. Unknown phone devices in my home network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown phone devices in my home network: For many months now I have been noticing unknown phone devices that keep appearing in my home network. They are most often always different but I have noticed some of the same ones reappearing. It seems like they may be bogging down my computer. I am so frustrated about...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. phone appears on windows network

2. unknown phone appears in network