Windows 10: Unknown Taskbar Icon After Upgrade Install

Discus and support Unknown Taskbar Icon After Upgrade Install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just finished an upgrade install from W7. All went well save for a few annoyances, and 1 problem. One curiosity is this Icon in the task bar:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TV2, Jan 23, 2016.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Unknown Taskbar Icon After Upgrade Install

I just finished an upgrade install from W7. All went well save for a few annoyances, and 1 problem.

One curiosity is this Icon in the task bar:

Unknown Taskbar Icon After Upgrade Install [​IMG]

It is the Safely Remove icon.

Here is what it looks like opened:

With those 3 dots as the only item.

I can't do anything beyond looking at it. Right clicking does nothing, there are no properties.

If I plug in a USB thumb drive it looks normal

And works as expected.

But the icon never goes away.

In Windows 7 I had 2 USB hubs showing up in Devices & Printers, but I don't see them in Windows 10.
    I wonder if that could be related?

:)

2. tarowe Win User

Direkt-Tek DTLAPY116-1 Clean Install - Missing Battery support (Settings, Icons, etc)

All started with initial pc setup. Windows 10 attempted to upgrade the system from 1703 to 1709. There was not enough space, so following the upgrade screens, after a number of tries to get more space by deleting apps, etc., it offer the option to do a clean
    install, which I did and it was successful.

The system is running well, but I have no battery status notification of pending battery shutdown, etc.

I downloaded Direkt-Tek drivers for this model and tried having the system search for the missing drivers indicated below, to no avail.

Device Manager Missing Driver Issues:
    Batteries

- Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    Other Devices

- PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller

- Unknown Device

- Unknown Device

- Unknown Device
    Settings Menu

- Missing Battery Setting option
    Taskbar

- Missing Battery Icon

The Microsoft ACPI.sys driver is installed

tarowe, Jan 23, 2016
  3. windows icon or start icon not working in windows 10

start icon or windows icon present in taskbar not working after a upgrade of windows 10.

SATYAMCHOUKSEY, Jan 23, 2016
  4. PJLLB Win User

Windows thinks one of your hard drives (or the one hard drive if you only have one) is removable. Check your hard drive(s) in Disk Managment.

PJLLB, Jan 23, 2016
  5. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    None of the disks is listed as removable in Disk Management. And Hot Swapping is turned off in UEFI/BIOS.

If that indicated hard drives mislabeled as removable then I would need to update the SATA/AHCI driver.
    I'll look into that.

6. Ztruker Win User
    I get the same thing. I think it has to do with the Media card readers on my Lenovo K450 Desktop.

Ztruker, Jan 23, 2016
  7. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Ah. I have an Epson printer that shows up as a drive because of it's USB port. Maybe that's it.

I finished updating all the drivers to Windows 10 drivers that I could find. So it wasn't a driver.

8. TV2
    TV2 Win User

I have isolated this item to my USB Hubs.
    One actual hub, and one USB extension cord. I have my keyboard and mouse plugged into the hub.

If I unplug the hub from the back of the PC the icon clears and goes away.
    But upon opening Devices and Printers it discovers the hubs (3?) and the icon comes back.

9. Edwin New Member
    Perhaps 'Hide' the icons you don't want to see in the 'drawer':

Edwin, Jan 25, 2016
  10. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Good idea. I will test.
    But concerned that I will be hiding my "Safely Remove" icon for the removable devices I do want it for.

11. Edwin New Member
    Naw, you'll open the list and click the appropriate one to eject anyway.

Edwin, Jan 25, 2016
  12. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    OK. Today I was able to determine that it is the card reader on my Epson Printer (connected to my Hub) that is showing up as an unknown (...) device that (supposedly) could be Safely Removed (but it can't).

Now, why the same card reader/printer does this in Windows 10 when it did not in Windows 7 is what is driving me nuts.

13. Ztruker Win User

Is there a driver for it you can download and install?

Ztruker, Jan 29, 2016
  14. This is sorta related and kinda funny but just recently (like today) windows gives me the option to eject my gtx 970.. I assume this is due to the new driver *chuckle

MrOblivion, Jan 29, 2016
  15. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Good suggestion.
    I will check tomorrow and see if Epson has issued a Windows 10 driver for the printer.
    If not, I may try a Windows 8 driver, or the most recent one available in compatibility mode.

More, later.

Thema:

1. Unknown Taskbar Icon After Upgrade Install - Similar Threads - Unknown Taskbar Icon

2. Unknown icon appeared in taskbar after update??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown icon appeared in taskbar after update??: What is this icon and where and why did it appear? It looks like a blue tongue and has the text "PRE" over it. What the f**k is this nonsense doing on my machine.... I didnt approve of any app installs on my machine, so where did this app come from? I feel like my PC was...
  3. Unknown icon appeared in taskbar after update??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown icon appeared in taskbar after update??: What is this icon and where and why did it appear? It looks like a blue tongue and has the text "PRE" over it. What the f**k is this nonsense doing on my machine.... I didnt approve of any app installs on my machine, so where did this app come from? I feel like my PC was...
  4. Unknown icons appear after booting up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown icons appear after booting up: When I open my laptop an unknown Icon will show on task bar and quickly disappears. I see also an unknown device on my network and my old apple device that I didn't use. It seems someone is connect in my device. Please help....
  5. Unknown icons appear after booting up

Unknown icons appear after booting up: When I open my laptop an unknown Icon will show on task bar and quickly disappears. I see also an unknown device on my network and my old apple device that I didn't use. It seems someone is connect in my device. Please help....
  6. Unknown icons appear after booting up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Taskbar icons disappearing after 21H1 install

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar icons disappearing after 21H1 install: After I installed 21H1, on two systems I have an issue with system icons disappearing from taskbar. I found a workaround by enabling/disabling the annoying weather and news icon, but there should be a better solution. I searched, and seems that people are attributing this...
  8. Unknown icon after Windows update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unknown icon after Windows update: [ATTACH] Hi, I updated Windows 10 recently, and when logging in this grey "Fn" icon appeared in my taskbar. (Lower right). Nothing comes up when I hover over it. Anyone know what it is?...
  9. Unknown Icon after several days

Unknown Icon after several days: Hi guys! I don't know if this is the correct section for this but if not, please move this to the proper one. here's my problem. after several days of using Win10, my icons for some files turns into the one attached, so far, the affected files are... 1. media...
  10. Taskbar Icons fubar after upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taskbar Icons fubar after upgrade: OK, Windows forced an upgrade. Now, the Taskbar is almost non-existent. I can only see a sliver of it. As for icons, if I pull one to the edge of the screen, a third of it is off screen. Don't ask for a screenshot. Why? Because in the screenshot, both the Taskbar and icons...