Windows 10: Unknown taskbar icon flashes and quickly disappears upon startup

Discus and support Unknown taskbar icon flashes and quickly disappears upon startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Whenever I startup Windows 10 Creators Update these days, I always seem to get an unknown taskbar icon that flashes and quickly disappears. Here is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GoldenAxe, Jun 1, 2017.

1. GoldenAxe Win User

Unknown taskbar icon flashes and quickly disappears upon startup

Whenever I startup Windows 10 Creators Update these days, I always seem to get an unknown taskbar icon that flashes and quickly disappears. Here is a video for you guys to see what I'm talking about - it appears right next to the quick launch Firefox icon at the start.

[youtube]yYYsiU3Sm3I[/youtube]

What is it? Should I be worried? Has this happened to anybody else?

:)

GoldenAxe, Jun 1, 2017

2. Audio icon on Taskbar disappear on Startup

Original Title: windows 10

Audio icon not on taskbar and disappears on startup..

AlanBarnesXN, Jun 1, 2017
  3. Random program starting and stopping very rapidly

Every time I start my pc, or load it from sleep, some program keeps starting and stopping itself. The cursor shows a load icon every half a second for a fraction of a second. The program comes and goes so quickly that I can barely see a flash of an icon
    on my taskbar before it disappears. This causes whatever window I'm currently using to lose focus rapidly and regain it just as rapidly.

This stops happening about 7 minutes after startup, but occasionally continues at a random interval after stopping. I've already disabled all startup programs that I do not believe should be running.

Malwarebytes did not find anything out of the ordinary.

Where should I look / what should I do to resolve this issue?

AnishGoyal, Jun 1, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

Welcome to the forums,

I'm not sure what that is, but since you said that it started happening after the big update, then that is definitely nothing for you to worry about. Don't worry about it. It's probably some startup app that opens and closes immediately (I have disabled pinned apps and am using a 3rd party Taskbar similar to Windows XP's, so that's the reason why I don't see it)

But see what Starts Up with your computer:
    startup windows 10 - Bing

There are also other locations for start up items, but you can check here first, and remove anything that you don't really need for when your computer starts up.

pepanee, Jun 1, 2017
  5. GoldenAxe Win User
    Thanks for the welcome, man. Appreciate it*Biggrin

I cleaned installed the Windows 10 Creators Update when it was officially released back in April, and only noticed this oddity in recent days. But yeah, it got me a bit worried so I've scanned my PC with several security programs (Avast, MalwareBytes-AntiMalware, Tdsskiller, Adwcleaner) and the results all came back clean.

So I think you're right in that it's probably some startup app that opens and closes immediately, and that it's nothing to worry about.

GoldenAxe, Jun 1, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    =D

Yes, you're welcome. I would suggest to ignore it for the next week or two, and hopefully Microsoft would be aware of some app that is actually doing that and fix that little glitch. But if it stays after 3 weeks or something and you find it quite annoying, then you can post back on here (or even now) to ask about where to go to look at all the stuff that starts up with the computer.

pepanee, Jun 1, 2017
  7. GoldenAxe Win User
    I've finally managed to identify the root of the cause - it turns out that it was the MSI Gaming App that was causing that little glitch. I've since uninstalled it (I hardly ever use it anyway) and that little glitch is no longer present whenever I start up Windows 10 Creators Update now.

Thanks again!*Biggrin

GoldenAxe, Jun 3, 2017
  8. pepanee Win User

Awesome! It's great to know that you figured out the solution.

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unknown taskbar icon flashes and quickly disappears upon startup - Similar Threads - Unknown taskbar icon

2. Flashing windows boot manager upon startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flashing windows boot manager upon startup: I am running dual boot on my system with Ubuntu and Windows, I recently updated to Windows 11 after this I have a flashing screen for 2-3 frames every time I boot into Windows 11. My computer is in Norwegian so the translation might be off but it is called Windows Boot...
  3. Flashing windows boot manager upon startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flashing windows boot manager upon startup: I am running dual boot on my system with Ubuntu and Windows, I recently updated to Windows 11 after this I have a flashing screen for 2-3 frames every time I boot into Windows 11. My computer is in Norwegian so the translation might be off but it is called Windows Boot...
  4. Icons on the taskbar disappeared

Icons on the taskbar disappeared: I was working on My laptop until suddenly I got a blue screen, then when it ended during the reboot it said reparing the device, I am now in the desktop and My taskbar icons are missing, what do I do?...
  5. Taskbar icons disappeared!!

Taskbar icons disappeared!!: Unsure what happened but my taskbar icons have disappeared, please help :' Tried looking through other questions but can't seem to find my answer.I'm not on tablet mode, checked taskbar settings and my system icons are all on, only have 1 screen, .. run out of solutions....
  6. Taskbar icons disappeared!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar icons disappeared!!: Unsure what happened but my taskbar icons have disappeared, please help :' Tried looking through other questions but can't seem to find my answer.I'm not on tablet mode, checked taskbar settings and my system icons are all on, only have 1 screen, .. run out of solutions....
  7. Flashes and disappearance of taskbar and apps.

Flashes and disappearance of taskbar and apps.: When I turn on my PC, it's fine for a while. Then, the taskbar while flash and the stuff on it disappears. The apps on the start screen follows. And then whole screen goes white. And it repeats this cycle. If I'm on an app, it will keep bringing me to the taskbar layer. This...
  8. Taskbar Icons Disappearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar Icons Disappearing: [IMG] Sometimes my taskbar icons disappear. They still work and if I hover the mouse over a blank spot the name of the app appears. I can click and use the apps just fine. I just don't know why they go away....
  9. Taskbar icon flashing

Taskbar icon flashing: When you start a program in Windows, the icon on the taskbar flashes Orange, presumably to alert you that it's open (as though you did not know already that XD). I want it to not do that. It is incredibly distracting, and not very user-friendly trying to work and iTunes or...
  10. Taskbar icons flashing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Taskbar icons flashing: Hi everyone, I have a problem I hope you can help me to solve it. Whenever I open Windows Explorer, go to any folder which contains a .avi video file, the taskbar icons will start flashing or blinking non stop. As soon as I close the Explorer, the blinking stops. Please help!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how icon flashes and disappear on on windows 10