Windows 10: unknown "windows" software taking lots of memory

Discus and support unknown "windows" software taking lots of memory in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I tried google searching just the direct phrase of "system and compressed memory", but came up with nothing. I have never seen it before until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by grimofdoom, Dec 8, 2015.

1. unknown "windows" software taking lots of memory

I tried google searching just the direct phrase of "system and compressed memory", but came up with nothing. I have never seen it before until recently, and it is using half a gig average. When I open file location, it does bring me to the windows folder, but it does not mean it was something that was put there by windows.
    unknown "windows" software taking lots of memory [​IMG]

:)

grimofdoom, Dec 8, 2015
  2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, Dec 8, 2015
  3. pichs Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

What are third party tag editors?

pichs, Dec 8, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

unknown "windows" software taking lots of memory

It's a new feature to compress currently occupied but unused memory to conserve some free RAM.

CountMike, Dec 8, 2015
  5. so all the memory it is using is really free? I only have 4gb ram on my mac, to I try an conserve it as much as possible.

grimofdoom, Dec 8, 2015
  6. CountMike New Member
    It will be replaced if anything needs that part, It's something like .zip, it's smaller but still there. It actually saves you some free memory, good thing.
    Let me put it this way: Any program or part of it that would normally take as an example 1GB, now takes 750MB instead and so frees some really unused memory.

CountMike, Dec 8, 2015
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    Post a screenshot of Task Manager - Performance tab showing memory information. While 398 MB may be high it is still only 10% of total memory. There is little reason to believe it is the cause of the high memory usage. There are also major users of memory that are not processes, not all of which are shown by Task Manager.

LMiller7, Dec 8, 2015
  8. CountMike New Member

That's just part of memory that was compressed, without that compression it would be higher usage of total RAM.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. unknown "windows" software taking lots of memory - Similar Threads - unknown software taking

2. A lot of installed software...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A lot of installed software...: Greetings!Can you please advise if there is any solution for this situation.There are several machines for developers of different spectrum. There is a lot of different software on the workstations. Is there any solution to isolate/containerize this software. Because of...
  3. Windows taking up lots of RAM or memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows taking up lots of RAM or memory: Recently I've found my laptop to be using lots of memory when i don't even have anything open. It often goes to 100% CPU on start up. I have a pretty good laptop too Dell inspiron2n1 7306. I believe this has caused some other issues too. Any ideas? - ive tried most of the...
  4. Windows taking up lots of RAM or memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows taking up lots of RAM or memory: Recently I've found my laptop to be using lots of memory when i don't even have anything open. It often goes to 100% CPU on start up. I have a pretty good laptop too Dell inspiron2n1 7306. I believe this has caused some other issues too. Any ideas? - ive tried most of the...
  5. Service Host taking up lots of memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Service Host taking up lots of memory: I am unsure what is wrong with my laptop however Service Host is taking up almost 40% of my memory without anything else other than chrome open and I am unsure why.Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.8 GB usable System type 64-bit...
  6. Service Host taking up lots of memory

Service Host taking up lots of memory: I am unsure what is wrong with my laptop however Service Host is taking up almost 40% of my memory without anything else other than chrome open and I am unsure why.Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.8 GB usable System type 64-bit...
  7. Desktop Window Manager taking a lot of Memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager taking a lot of Memory: Windows desktop mgr taking a lot of memory . fix ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-window-manager-taking-a-lot-of-memory/41d8ce1a-91a8-4459-83b3-d4a1f5c23069
  8. Desktop Window Manager taking a lot of Memory

Desktop Window Manager taking a lot of Memory: Windows desktop mgr taking a lot of memory . fix ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-window-manager-taking-a-lot-of-memory/41d8ce1a-91a8-4459-83b3-d4a1f5c23069
  9. Explorer.exe is taking a lot of ram memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer.exe is taking a lot of ram memory: So lately when I open task manager I click on memory so I see whats taking the most memory and what I'm seeing is this So please help me fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorerexe-is-taking-a-lot-of-ram-memory/51e5025b-99b0-4ac0-b10d-ee3cfb38ab6e
  10. softwaredistribution.bak folder takes a lot of memory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    softwaredistribution.bak folder takes a lot of memory: The softwaredistribution.bak folder on Win 10 takes 11.2 gb of memory and the windows folder takes a whole of 34.2 gb. I have a 128 ssd and this is taking a lot of space, I don't think it should take this much space. I'm thinking of deleting the backup folder, is it alright?...