Windows 10: Unmountable boot volume

Discus and support Unmountable boot volume in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello all, Currently at my wits end with my Acer Aspire E1-570 so I'm turning to you for help! The problem begin with a plain black screen and only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by rossi789, May 13, 2016.

1. rossi789 Win User

Unmountable boot volume

Hello all,

Currently at my wits end with my Acer Aspire E1-570 so I'm turning to you for help! The problem begin with a plain black screen and only a cursor visible. My girlfriend was using the laptop at the time so I am unsure as to how we got here. I was able to open task manager and attempted to run explorer.exe, this gave an error stating a registry file was missing. I then attempted a system restore which failed and the PC restarted. Upon restart it began Automatic repair and became stuck in an endless loop of automatic repair.

I managed to recover personal files using an Ubuntu bootable HDD so moved on to windows repair via a windows 10 USB (which also encountered errors trying to download and burn the ISO.) I've changed the UEFI secure boot to disabled and re ordered boot sequence. Attempted to reset this pic, start up repair which didn't work.

Next up was clean install, which failed a couple of times with errors "Windows set up could not reinitialize the deployment engine" or "setup cannot continue due to corrupted installation". On the 4th attempt it worked, I ran through all the setup process signing in, express settings etc. Next boot it was incredibly sluggish and wasn't really doing a lot so I restarted. Now I have this error "Unmountable boot disc"

So there are no personal files on the PC any more, any brutal methods of fixing this issue are welcome. And to top off my day the exhaust has snapped off my car today and we a due to drive 300 miles for a holiday on Monday! With no garages stocking parts on Sunday's that is another issue I need to try and sort out. Woohoo!

Thanks in advance.

:)

rossi789, May 13, 2016
  2. Kapil Arya MVP, May 13, 2016
  3. unmountable boot volume

unmountable boot volume What is this and how do I fix it?

JamesMcFarlane, May 13, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

Unmountable boot volume

Hmmm... you let your girlfriend use your computer? ... now that's true love... *Wink

Jokes aside, perhaps try running chkdsk /f /r on that drive.

.. or a full format of that drive may help. It can be done via Ubuntu:

Attachment 79784

... BTW did it complain if you delete all partitions and install to the unallocated drive?

Superfly, May 13, 2016
  5. rossi789 Win User
    Hello Superfly,

Thanks for your response. She will be supervised next time I assure you! *Wink

Ok so I've run chkdsk which returned the following:

X:\Sources>chkdsk C:/f/r
    The type of the file system is FAT32.
    Volume ESD-ISO created 5/14/2016 11:08 AM
    Volume Serial Number is 5C96-7A1D
    Windows is verifying files and folders...
    File and folder verification complete.
    Windows is verifying free space...
    Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

From that result, I assume I should move on to your next suggestion of re formatting the drive?

Also, deleting the partitions was how I got the install to eventually run.

*Having read this again, that looks like it is my Flash drive, not the laptops HDD that chkdsk has looked at

rossi789, May 13, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    With those results it really looks as if you scanned the Windows 10 installation USB instead of the computer's hard drive. It really sounds like the hard drive in the computer is bad.

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2016
  7. rossi789 Win User
    Yes I've just noticed that myself. How do I find the correct disk? I would have thought the HDD would be C:

rossi789, May 13, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Unmountable boot volume

In Command Prompt (admin) ["run as administrator" command prompt]:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # (<--insert the disk # that appears to be the hard drive)
    list volume

Attachment 79806

If you don't see a Windows partition mounted as a volume then:

list part

Attachment 79808

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
  10. rossi789 Win User
    Well it took a long time to get to cmd and just as long try and upload a picture from my phone. You know when its just been one of those days?

Anyway, I've typed out the result below.

DISKPART > List disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

Disk 0 Online 698 GB 0 B *
    Disk 1 Online 7651 MB 0 B *

DISKPART > select disk 0
    Disk 0 is now selected.
    DISKPART > list volume

Volume 0 E DVD ROM 0B No Media
    Volume 1 C RAW Partition 698GB Healthy
    Volume 2 Recovery NTFS Partition 450MB Healthy Hidden
    Volume 3 FAT32 Partition 100MB Healthy Hidden
    Volume 4 D ESD-ISO FAT32 Removable 7649MB Healthy

list part

Partition 1 Recovery 450MB 1024MB
    Partition 2 System 100MB 451MB
    Partition 3 Reserved 16MB 551MB
    Partition 4 Primary 698GB 567MB

I will look into your post now, axe0

rossi789, May 14, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Partition 4 would be your Windows partition, but RAW means that it is not formatted. So, in Diskpart it would be:

diskpart
    select disk 0
    select part 4
    format fs=ntfs override

then you could run chkdsk on it (make sure to EXIT out of diskpart).

NavyLCDR, May 14, 2016
  12. rossi789 Win User
    How long should I expect the formatting to take? It's been stuck on 0 pretty much since you posted your reply

rossi789, May 14, 2016
  13. Superfly Win User

Unmountable boot volume

If format goes into la la land it's usually due to bad HDD - check the integrity as axe0 has suggested first.

(BTW the correct chkdsk command is to place the drive letter after the command switches, not before... *Wink)

Superfly, May 14, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep. Sounds like the hard drive is toast.

NavyLCDR, May 14, 2016
  15. rossi789 Win User
    Well the SeaTools test hasn't moved in the 9 hours since I started it. Just states "Started Long Test 5/14/2016 23:06:37"

Should I take this to mean I need a new hard drive?

rossi789, May 14, 2016
Thema:

Unmountable boot volume

1. Unmountable boot volume - Similar Threads - Unmountable boot volume

2. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable boot volume: Unmountable boot volume https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/0a612465-960b-44be-ad9e-c68d9cb94c12
  3. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable boot volume: Unmountable boot volume https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/e3de52a9-ffbf-4347-a088-882dbc4b14a2
  4. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unmountable boot volume: Unmountable boot volume https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/e3de52a9-ffbf-4347-a088-882dbc4b14a2
  5. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unmountable boot volume: I've tried Installing a game and my laptop asked for a restart and I clicked on Restart Now. After that, I got Your pc ran into a problem screen with stop code: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.My laptop kept on restating again and again just the Acer logo and Blue screen immediately....
  6. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable boot volume: How to overcome this error blue screen appears and restarts again and repeating again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/10422cf3-e96b-4048-b980-62475e4f4d9f
  7. Unmountable Boot Volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unmountable Boot Volume: I'm receiving a blue screen saying the device ran into a problem and needs to restart. It stays up for a bit then restarts, over and over again. The QR code provided does not lead to any results, unfortunately. The error says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I've tried hard resets...
  8. Unmountable Boot Volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unmountable Boot Volume: I'm receiving a blue screen saying the device ran into a problem and needs to restart. It stays up for a bit then restarts, over and over again. The QR code provided does not lead to any results, unfortunately. The error says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I've tried hard resets...
  9. Unmountable Boot Volume

Unmountable Boot Volume: I get the message Stop Code - UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME Screen says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" This is a Dell Optiplex 990 that originally came with Windows 7....
  10. UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME: bonjour wue faire quand l'ordinateur donne pour code d'arrët : UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/65c9e58f-915d-4922-916b-bcba37fecc85