Windows 10: Unregister Update

Discus and support Unregister Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; OK, Windows has been bugging me for days about upgrading. I keep rolling the time for another couple days. Not quite sure that I want to upgrade right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Odos270, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Odos270 Win User

Unregister Update

OK, Windows has been bugging me for days about upgrading. I keep rolling the time for another couple days. Not quite sure that I want to upgrade right now. I want to wait for a few months to see what problems others have and see what the fixes are.

I followed the tutorial: Get Windows 10 app - Cancel Reservation for Free Upgrade to Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums And unregistered. Well, I took a look in Action Center and see this. *Eek

Unregister Update [​IMG]

What now? Do I dare reboot? As I said, I do not want to upgrade at this time. Is there a way around this?

TIA

:)

Odos270, Aug 29, 2015

2. how to unregister the preview

How to unregister the windows phone developer to update cyan black update for 520 to w.p original o.s

chows---01, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Unregistered phone

I understand that my windows phone 7 (Samsung Focus) should have been registered the first time I signed in but I don't remember any specific "signing in" and I'm getting a message from Microsoft that says "no device registered" What do I do? I don't want
    to reset since the forums are saying you lose all your contacts.

PhyllisGiddens, Aug 29, 2015
  4. AddRAM Win User

Unregister Update

You simply remove the Windows 10 updates.

There are only a few, my list is on my Windows 7 drive, but others will list the updates you must uninstall, when they pop back up again in windows update, just right click on each and hide it.

You must have clicked on Get Windows 10, it does not do it by itself, even if you reserve it you still have to tell the PC to do the upgrade.

AddRAM, Aug 29, 2015
  5. Mark Phelps, Aug 29, 2015
  6. Odos270 Win User
    Well, I did all of that. Guess what? Upon reboot, 10 installed anyway. *Mad

Odos270, Aug 29, 2015
  7. CmmTch Win User
    How are you getting along with 10 Odos270?

I believe you can revert back to the previous OS but that must be done within 30 days so you've got a little time yet. W10 isn't that much different, some things are no longer within the users control but I don't see that ever changing. When I came off of Win7 I felt apprehensive at first, but nothing in the way I use my computer has changed, it's all personal use, nothing work related at all.

I had XP Pro for a few years and when Win7 came out I set mine up as a dual boot, it wasn't long before I realized I only used XP to check for updates from MS. Figured I'd just delete the XP partition, did that and never looked back, so far it's been the same with W10. I was an insider for the last 6 months and found I wasn't using Win7 for much anymore so after RTM for W10 I upgraded to it, and haven't looked back.

Here's a link to the tutorial for going back to the previous OS https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...s-windows.html

CmmTch, Aug 30, 2015
  8. Odos270 Win User

Unregister Update

Odos270, Aug 30, 2015
  9. Odos270 Win User
    *BangheadI did options 3 and 4. I ran the reg file. And uninstalled KB3035583. Then I went through Action Center and clicked Windows Update. It says 10 is ready to install and to reboot.

This morning I ended up with a major FUBAR. Locked out. I rebooted and had Reflect install 8.1 over 10. Thought that would get me out of the woods. Nope. If I could, I'd stuff this computer and 10 up Gates' a**.

Odos270, Aug 31, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Aug 31, 2015
  11. Odos270 Win User
    I did all that. Windows Update still says that 10 is ready and that I need to reboot. I also removed KB3035583, KB2952664, KB2976978, KB3021917, KB3044374, KB2990214. Then renamed the GWX folder. Also, I did a search of C and there is no gwx.exe. I then did a search of C for GWX and deleted everything that was found. There were Prefetch files and some .js files. All deleted.

Odos270, Aug 31, 2015
  12. Mark Phelps, Aug 31, 2015
  13. Odos270 Win User

Unregister Update

Odos270, Aug 31, 2015
  14. AddRAM Win User
    This is my list of updates I have compiled that I have never added to my Windows 7 install on my Samsung that I did not want to upgrade to 10, I have never had an issue with that install.

Once again, not all of them deal with Windows 10, you can look each one up yourself if you want.

Updates not to Install

KB2876229 SKYPE, If you want Skype then install it.
    KB2923545 RDP
    KB2970228
    KB3035583
    KB2990214
    KB3021917
    KB3068708 Telemetry
    KB2592687
    KB2660075
    KB2506928
    KB2952664 x2
    KB3050265
    KB2726535
    KB2994023
    KB3022345 Replaced by KB3068708 Telemetry

KB3022345 Caused false sfc result
    KB2545698 (IE9)
    KB3065987
    KB3077715 ( Very Recent )
    KB3078667 ( Very Recent )

AddRAM, Aug 31, 2015
  15. Odos270 Win User
    This is what I've done. Even so, if I reboot it still wants to install 10. *Mad The two that say "take care", I didn't uninstall. The ones exclusive to 7, I ignored.

KB2952664
    "Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7"
    This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.

KB2976978
    "Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8"
    Describes an update that improves the compatibility and upgrade experience in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
    This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program in order to determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

KB2990214
    "Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 SP1 to a later version of Windows"
    It is an update to the Windows Update Client. It is a pre-requisite (for now) in order to be able to "update" to Windows 10 when it becomes available. This is the actual correct download link.

KB3021917
    "Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements"
    This update performs diagnostics in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) in order to determine whether performance issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. Telemetry is sent back to Microsoft for those computers that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). This update will help Microsoft and its partners deliver better system performance for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

KB3022345 (probably not offered anymore because it was superseded by KB3068708, of which more below)
    "Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry" in Windows 8.x and Windows 7 SP1
    This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet been upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.
    This update has been replaced by the latest update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry that was first released on June 2, 2015. To obtain the update, see KB3068708 Update (of which more below) for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry.

KB3035583
    "Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1"
    This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.
    It installs GWX.exe which has the description “Get Windows 10″
    More info (myce on Apr 05, 2015): Update for Win 7 and 8.1 silently installs Win 10 downloader
    To remove this update easily, there's now also rn10950's "I Don't Want Windows 10"

KB3044374
    "Update that supports you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 to a later version of Windows".
    This article describes an update that supports you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 to a later version of Windows. This update has prerequisites.

KB3046480
    Update helps to determine whether to migrate..." for in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
    This update enables the system to determine whether to migrate the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 to a later version of Windows when you upgrade from Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 to a later version of Windows. This determination is based on the usage of the .NET Framework 1.1.

KB3050265
    It is an update to the Windows Update Client for Windows 7 SP1.
    This update addresses an issue in which system performance can be decreased during scans. This issue has the greatest effect on computers that have a small amount of physical memory. This update addresses an issue in which Windows Update scans can fail and generate a 0x8007000E error.General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windows.

KB3050267
    It is an update to the Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1
    A change is made on the log level for %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log to reduce the frequency of certain events from exhausting log space. Fixes an issue for managed computers in which managed computers have to update drivers as a set. Driver sets are not processed by Windows Update during shutdown, and are still available to be installed after you restart the computer.Fixes an issue in which the files of an update may not be found by Windows Update (0x80070002) if the download operation spans multiple sessions.General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windows.

KB3068708
    Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
    This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices... <snip> This kind of update helps the overall application experience on Windows, by improving the current operating system for upgrade to the latest version of Windows. <snip> By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded.

KB3065987
    "Contains some improvements to WU Client in Win 7 SP1 or Win Server 2008 R2 SP1." Suspect WU update... take care!

KB3065988
    "Contains some improvements to WU Client in Win 8.1, Win RT 8.1, or Win Server 2012 R2." Suspect WU update... take care!

KB3075249
    "This article describes an update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Win 8.1, Win RT 8.1, Win Server 2012 R2, Win 7 SP1, and Win Server 2008 R2 SP1. This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels."

KB3075851
    "This article describes an update that contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This update also resolves an issue in which certain Windows Update operations fail when you install Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: July 2015 (KB3065987) on Windows 7 Embedded editions." In other words: it fixes the mess created by KB3065987.

KB3080149
    "This article describes an update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry, for Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 SP1, and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1."

KB2952664 for Windows 7 SP1 and KB2976978 for Windows 8.x.
    KB2990214 for Windows 7 SPx and KB3044374 for Windows 8.1.
    KB3050265 for Windows 7 SP1 and KB3050267 for Windows 8.1.
    KB3065987 for Windows 7 SP1 and KB3065988 for Windows 8.1.

While the others are intended for both Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.x, namely:
    KB3035583, KB3046480 and KB3068708 (which replaces KB3022345), KB3075249 and KB3080149

Odos270, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

Unregister Update

1. Unregister Update - Similar Threads - Unregister Update

2. Could not locate Bitlocker Recovery Password for a unregistered laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could not locate Bitlocker Recovery Password for a unregistered laptop: I just bought a new Lenovo laptop and used it for a month. Now it certainly locked up and requested for a bitlocker recovery password. I searched and tried a number of things for 5 hours straight but could not figure out how to get the password. I did not register this PC for...
  3. Could not locate Bitlocker Recovery Password for a unregistered laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Could not locate Bitlocker Recovery Password for a unregistered laptop: I just bought a new Lenovo laptop and used it for a month. Now it certainly locked up and requested for a bitlocker recovery password. I searched and tried a number of things for 5 hours straight but could not figure out how to get the password. I did not register this PC for...
  4. Can I sell a used PC with an unregistered copy of Windows?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I sell a used PC with an unregistered copy of Windows?: Can I sell a used PC with an UNREGISTERED copy of Windows?By that I mean eitherMy previous copy of windows which I unregister by slmgr /cpky Or a fresh legitimate copy of Windows without key entered.Rational:The buyer could re-register with his own key.I can demonstrate the...
  5. Can I sell a used PC with an unregistered copy of Windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I sell a used PC with an unregistered copy of Windows?: Can I sell a used PC with an UNREGISTERED copy of Windows?By that I mean eitherMy previous copy of windows which I unregister by slmgr /cpky Or a fresh legitimate copy of Windows without key entered.Rational:The buyer could re-register with his own key.I can demonstrate the...
  6. Can I sell a used PC with an unregistered copy of Windows?

7. what does msiexec /unregister do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what does msiexec /unregister do: I want a specific example forAfter I open cmd and type msiexec /unregister and press enterand do what can I see the effect of the above command?And then I double click any .msi file and I can still install them. I did not reregister the msiexecSo what does msiexec /unregister...
  8. what does msiexec /unregister do

what does msiexec /unregister do: I want a specific example forAfter I open cmd and type msiexec /unregister and press enterand do what can I see the effect of the above command?And then I double click any .msi file and I can still install them. I did not reregister the msiexecSo what does msiexec /unregister...
  9. what does msiexec /unregister do

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Is there a way to copyleft windows i.e: Unregister the trademark?

Is there a way to copyleft windows i.e: Unregister the trademark?: Although I don't need to play with windows, The windows copyright IS A PROBLEM for MILLIONS of programmers around the world and with the rise of open source software this is going to be a problemCopyright is a problem, so Windows must be copylefted otherwise i will be...