Windows 10: Unresponsive cursor when USB 3 drives connected. The fix is weird.

Discus and support Unresponsive cursor when USB 3 drives connected. The fix is weird. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; It certainly is an interesting one, and one that ranks up there with the best of the weird faults I encountered as an electronics service tech. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mooly, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Mooly Win User

Unresponsive cursor when USB 3 drives connected. The fix is weird.

It certainly is an interesting one, and one that ranks up there with the best of the weird faults I encountered as an electronics service tech.

Mooly, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Mooly Win User

So.…..

I have these three USB drives, one a Seagate portable, the other one I made from a USB caddy and my old Dell drive (which was replaced by an SSD), and the third is a SanDisk flash drive.

Whenever I plug any of these into my Dell laptop the cursor under mouse control becomes unresponsive and laggy (very juddery and often unusable). The touchpad remains smooth and responsive. The mouse is an HP Z4000 wireless one.

Well the cause is an odd one. It is the mouse mat. Yep, you heard right, its the mat.

The mat in question is a faux white leather one, and very nice it is too. However it appears to be the cause of the freezing/juddery cursor when USB3 drives are active. If I move the mouse to a dark surface all becomes good and all problems disappear. Back to the mat and the cursor is freezing again.

With no USB3 drives connected, or with a USB2 drive, all is good with the white mat.

How weird is that *Smile I can only guess that the white surface reflectivity/quality is marginal and that in normal use the USB port devoted to the mouse receiver gets 'full attention' with regard to any error correction and data flow. When the duties are split the problems surface. The black surface must be much easier on any error correction and data rates to and fro. That would be my best guestimate anyway.

:)

Mooly, Apr 12, 2018
  3. USB3 problem

That is the problem, when the hard drive is plugged into the USB 3 port my computer becomes virtually unresponsive.

Nik

niknik1971, Apr 12, 2018
  4. KarlS8 Win User

Constant 'device connect/disconnect; sounds!

Hi,

I keep hearing the sounds 'Device connect' and 'Device disconnect' repeatedly every now and then... maybe every 15 minutes. The mouse becomes unresponsive when this happens, the cursor disappears and I cannot move mouse. This has been going for more than
    2 months.

I detached all usb stuff keeping just mouse and keyboard but problem persists.

I used to have an external drive and printer. Sometimes I connect the external drive to move files and disconnect the cable once again.

Can you help?

Thanks.

...I have windows 10.

KarlS8, Apr 12, 2018
  5. Interesting issue! *Smile

slicendice, Apr 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Unresponsive cursor when USB 3 drives connected. The fix is weird. - Similar Threads - Unresponsive cursor USB

2. Weird Cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird Cursor: Hi, have a new laptop and the cursor looks like this with any text. I didnt change any settings. Any ideas how i can fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-cursor/cd985b48-6c13-463a-b30e-8d878cd91ce2
  3. Weird Cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird Cursor: Hi, have a new laptop and the cursor looks like this with any text. I didnt change any settings. Any ideas how i can fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-cursor/cd985b48-6c13-463a-b30e-8d878cd91ce2
  4. unresponsive cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unresponsive cursor: Playing Spider. card that i want to move is in the lower right corner of screen. When click upon nothing happens. Th rest of the screen seems normal. Frustrating!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unresponsive-cursor/29963685-8a93-4fed-9260-2b8ba89775bf
  5. unresponsive cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unresponsive cursor: Playing Spider. card that i want to move is in the lower right corner of screen. When click upon nothing happens. Th rest of the screen seems normal. Frustrating!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unresponsive-cursor/29963685-8a93-4fed-9260-2b8ba89775bf
  6. Cursor is blinking and system is unresponsive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cursor is blinking and system is unresponsive: I NEED HELP!! few months back I downloaded Xampp software for my college purpose on my laptop and this problem started happening. My cursor started blinking and my system became slow. Every click would used to give a slow response and took more than 2-3 seconds. Even for...
  7. Sluggish, unresponsive cursor

Sluggish, unresponsive cursor: I've had continuous issues with Windows 10. It's been about 2 weeks since my last clean install. Two months ago I added 2- 8GB DDR4 Corsair modules, now running 32GB. After a couple driver updates, and Windows updates, and a bluetooth dongle & keyboard upgrade my mouse...
  8. weird file on usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    weird file on usb drive: xMjkYE.exe 641 kb on a usb drive. scanned with norton and malwarebytes no bad result. tried to delete it and it said I needed admin permission even though I was on the admin account at the time. tried taking ownership ....same result. any ideas? thanks 128921
  9. Unresponsive Mouse and Keyboard (Not USB Connected)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unresponsive Mouse and Keyboard (Not USB Connected): After I finished installing Windows 10 to my Windows 7 computer, it began to misbehave and not function correctly. After that, the keyboard and mouse stopped working (The cursor was gone completely). I tried restarting the computer but that didn't work. I am stuck on the...
  10. External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable

External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable: I have a 1TB external hard drive (Medion HDDrive 2 GO) from 2010 that came with a Medion PC from Aldi which my family still use. It is equiped with an eSata connection and a USB2 connection. Both these work fine on the old Medion PC running Windows 10 Home 32bit. The eSata...