Windows 10: Unruly Asus R556L Experiencing Intermittent Graphical Issues

Discus and support Unruly Asus R556L Experiencing Intermittent Graphical Issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I’m trying to figure out what in the hell is wrong with my Windows 10 install on my notebook before heading back to campus Saturday.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RedmondKills, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Unruly Asus R556L Experiencing Intermittent Graphical Issues

Hello everyone, I’m trying to figure out what in the hell is wrong with my Windows 10 install on my notebook before heading back to campus Saturday.

Specs: Asus R556L

Intel i5 5200U

8 GB preinstalled RAM

Crucial MX 500

Dual Booting Ubuntu MATE (14.04->16.04->18.04) and Windows 10 (latest stable)

The Issue(s):

1. A while back, I had an issue I thought was a faulty display connection in which at random times the display would glitch out and “scroll” so to speak in which the image would roll horizontally and stop at random points, with things like the scroll bar now being mid-screen. Sometimes it would recover, other times it wouldn’t. After opening up the laptop, which I had previously done to install an SSD, checked the display cable and the issue appeared to go away after rebooting and so other miscellaneous tweaks. Recently, the display started to do this once again. However, it only does this in Windows. Ubuntu MATE never exhibited any such behavior, even after heavy use and similar stress conditions. After forcibly uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel graphics driver, the issue seems to have dissipated. Intel insists on using Asus’ driver, which hasn’t been updated since November of 2016 (!!), rather than the generic. This issue seems to occur in tandem with Chrome usage, though that could be coincidental.

2. Very recently, Windows has fully frozen (no response to unplugging IO, Ctrl - Alt - Del, mouse movements) under basic use conditions (one tab of Chrome in the background, typing a basic Word document). I had been using Ubuntu MATE for the past couple weeks and never had that happen. After a hard shutdown and rebooting into Windows, Windows Update launched and restarted after completing normally.

Troubleshooting attempted over the past month:

Updated Windows

Reinstalled Intel Graphics Driver

Updated SSD Firmware (security fixes per notes)

Ran Windows Memory Test (no errors)

Ran Prime95 for 13 hours (no errors)

Ran ChkDsk (no errors)

Ran ChkNTFS (no errors)

Ran SFC (no errors)

Checked Drive SMART Status (no errors)

Updated Windows Power Settings to never turn off the Hard Disk

Ran MBAM (clean)

Ran Windows Defender (clean)

Ran TrendMicro Housecall (clean)

Conclusion:

These issues seemed to crop up mainly after the April 2018 update, at least that’s when things started misbehaving, getting progressively worse.

Should I try something else?

I’ve seen TronScript recommended before, and have also considered a full, from scratch reinstall of Windows 10 to see if that fixes it.

Any help is appreciated!

:)

RedmondKills, Aug 23, 2018
  2. Karla Alm Win User

graphic issue in win 10

Hello Jaw,

Before we proceed in troubleshooting the issue, we would like to clarify the following:

• What is your current OS build and version?
    • What changes did you make before experiencing this?

For the meantime, we suggest that you update your graphics card driver and check for improvements.

Looking forward to your response.

Karla Alm, Aug 23, 2018
  3. Johan45 Win User
    AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Aug 23, 2018
  4. Unruly Asus R556L Experiencing Intermittent Graphical Issues

graphics card issue in Windows 10

Hi Harish,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

I would suggest you to follow the same steps above suggested by Jenith_James and select the previous operating system like
    Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 7 and install it
    and check if it helps.

Let's try the below steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: I suggest you to update graphics drivers
    following the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Search for Display Adapters and expand it.
    • Right click on the graphics driver and select
      Update driver software.

Method 2: Uninstall and Reinstall the
    graphics card drivers and
    update and check.

Refer: How
    to install and update the drivers

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 23, 2018
Thema:

Unruly Asus R556L Experiencing Intermittent Graphical Issues

1. Unruly Asus R556L Experiencing Intermittent Graphical Issues - Similar Threads - Unruly Asus R556L

2. Intermittent Keyboard Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent Keyboard Issues: Hi all,I am currently experiencing intermittent issues with the in-built keyboard on my Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14IIL05 where a select few keys on the keyboard on a given stroke will either print 1 2 3 or even 4 characters or no character at all. So when typing with these keys, it...
  3. How to Resolve - Continuous Yet Intermittent Audio & Video Issues Experienced Since...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Resolve - Continuous Yet Intermittent Audio & Video Issues Experienced Since...: Let me first preface this by saying that prior to the update, EVERYTHING worked just fine. NONE of the below issues presented! 1 Intermittent Sound Distortion 2 Intermittent Video Lag 3 Intermittent Mouse Freezes in Place for Half Second 4 Intermittent System Freezes for...
  4. Intermittent connection issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Intermittent connection issues: I've had issues connecting to wifi for a little while now. When I turn on my laptop it says no wifi networks can be found. I've tried various methods as well as restarting my laptop several times until the problem seems to resolve on its own. My wifi then works for the rest...
  5. Intermittent Mouse Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intermittent Mouse Issues: Hi guys, Having some issues with a wireless mouse running Windows 10, although I suspect maybe not the mouse at all. When I try to mouse over and highlight text to copy and paste, it can take me a few attempts to get it to highlight. It might highlight some letters, miss...
  6. Intermittent Folder issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Intermittent Folder issue: My clean install of Windows 10 intermittently forgets what a folder is. It also constantly resets the default program settings at random times, removing all my settings to default. After I set my defaults, usually about 20 minutes late it resets them all back to default. I...
  7. Graphical Issue I've Been Experiencing Lately

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Graphical Issue I've Been Experiencing Lately: Certain parts of my windows UI at a time flash on and off uncontrollably, after a while it returns to normal. at the moment i just a minor inconvenience; Should I be worried? Current Windows Version: 19619.1000 submitted by /u/BOBAMB11 [link] [comments]...
  8. Unruly Asus R556L Experiencing Intermittent Graphical Issues

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Unruly Asus R556L Experiencing Intermittent Graphical Issues: Hello everyone, I’m trying to figure out what in the hell is wrong with my Windows 10 install on my notebook before heading back to campus Saturday. Specs: Asus R556L Intel i5 5200U 8 GB preinstalled RAM Crucial MX 500 Dual Booting Ubuntu MATE (14.04->16.04->18.04) and...
  9. Windows 10 possible graphics issue on Asus VivoBook S400CA

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 possible graphics issue on Asus VivoBook S400CA: Hello, I have this problem with my computer and Windows 10 OS where the entire desktop is expanded to the right side of the screen and I have encountered no way to solve it. The graphics driver is the latest one and is a fresh install of Windows 10. I will attach one...
  10. Intermittent Sleep Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent Sleep Issues: About 50% of the time, if I put the Win10 computer to sleep (either manually or via regular time of inactivity), it sleeps and wakes normally. However, starting 2 months ago, I randomly get a failed sleep. Symptoms: * Screen sleeps, mouse and keyboard sleep * Computer...